KJV Dictionary Definition: dumb
DUMB, a. Dum.
1. Mute; silent; not speaking.
I was dumb with silence; I held my peace. Psalm 34.
2. Destitute of the power of speech; unable to utter articulate sounds; as the dumb brutes. The asylum at Hartford in Connecticut was the first institution in America for teaching the deaf and dumb to read and write.
3. Mute; not using or accompanied with speech; as a dumb show; dumb signs.
To strike dumb, is to confound; to astonish; to render silent by astonishment; or it may be, to deprive of the power of speech.
DUMB, v.t. To silence.
DUMBNESS, n. Dumness.
1. Muteness; silence or holding the peace; omission of speech. This is voluntary dumbness.
2. In capacity to speak; inability to articulate sounds. This is involuntary dumbness.