The Lord gave the word: great was the company of those that published it. —Psalm 68:11 (KJV)
What VerseClick does
Automatically links Scripture citations on your web pages with no special markup on your part.
Generates a tooltip-style "pop-up" display of the text for a verse reference when the mouse pointer passes over the reference tag.
Allows visitors to open the full chapter of the referenced passage in a new browser tab to examine context.
Uses only the Authorized King James Bible—the same trustworthy KJV text as in SwordSearcher® Bible Software.
Watch it work
Hold your mouse pointer over the links:
- Psa 12:6-7; Mt 24:35.
- Psalm 138.2
- 2nd Timothy 3:16-17
- Luke 7:12; 8:42; 9:38; John 1:14; 3:16, 18; Hebrews 11:17;
- 1 John 4:9
The page you are viewing right now is running VerseClick. The verse references you see here are not specially tagged in the source; they are just plain text.
If you're on a touch-only device, there are no pop-ups. This is because tooltip-style windows can be unweildy with touch input. However, the Bible text will still load in a new tab when it's tapped!
Why you should use it
- Brings your pages alive with Scripture.
- Absolutely free! No catch! Our goal is to make it as easy as possible for people to read the word of God, specifically, the King James Bible. Providing verse text for all Scripture references removes any excuse not to look up the verses.
- For advanced users: the popup can be styled with CSS to match your site's color theme.
- Safe on mobile. We've recently re-designed the code to be more user-friendly with touch input. Tooltip-style pop-ups do not work well with touch input and small displays, so VerseClick will just open a new tab with the Bible chapter text when the link is tapped.
- Lightweight. One 14KB .js file with no dependencies. Verse text is only retrieved from the server when the user holds the pointer over a link.
- Best practices: VerseClick grabs verse text content over a secure
https://connection and uses
rel="noopener"attributes in the links for performance and security.
- It does not attempt to link verses in
<H4>heading tags, nor does it change existing links. Also, in order to avoid false-positive matches, only full Book-Chapter-Verse citations are linked.
Here's how to use it
Insert this line of code in your page source:
The best place to place this is right before your closing
It's best not to host verseclick.js file on your own server, so that you will get fixes and updates automatically.
If you want to ensure that VerseClick links aren't underlined, just add this to the
<head> section of your source:
CSS styles: To style the pop-ups to match your site's color theme, see these instructions and an example.
Using VerseClick constitutes your agreement with the license terms.
Any questions or comments can be emailed to Brandon Staggs.
©2018 StudyLamp Software LLC.