KJV Dictionary Definition: chafe
1. To excite heat or inflammation by friction, as to chafe the skin; also, to fret and wear by rubbing, as to chafe a cable.
2. To act violently upon, by rubbing; to fret against, as waves against a shore.
The troubled Tyber chafing with his shores.
3. To be fretted and worn by rubbing; as, a cable chafes.
1. Heat, excited by friction.
2. Violent agitation of the mind or passions; heat; fret; passion.
CHAFED, pp. Heated or fretted by rubbing; worn by friction.
CHAFING, ppr. Heating or fretting by friction.