KJV Dictionary Definition: against
AGAINST, prep. agenst'.
1. In opposition; noting enmity or disapprobation.
His hand will be against every man. Gen. 16.
I am against your pillows. Ez. 8.
2. In opposition, noting contrariety, contradiction, or repugnance; as, a decree against law, reason or public opinion.
3. In opposition, noting competition, or different sides or parties; as, there are twenty votes in the affirmative against ten in the negative.
4. In an opposite direction; as, to ride against the wind.
5. Opposite in place; abreast; as, a ship is against the mouth of a river. In this sense it is often preceded by over.
Aaron lighted the lamps over against the candlesticks.
6. In opposition, noting adversity, injury, or contrariety to wishes; as, this change of measures is against us.
7. Bearing upon; as, one leans against a wall.
8. In provision for; in preparation for.
Urijah made it against king Ahaz came from Damascus.
In this sense against is a preposition, with the following part of the sentence for an object. See After, prep. def. 2.
In short, the sense of this word is opposition, variously modified according to its application to different objects.