Automatically hyper-link scripture references on your web pages, with verse text pop-ups!
VerseClick is a free tool for webmasters to use with Bible-related material on their web sites.
What VerseClick does:
- Automatically links Scripture citations on your web page(s).
- Generates a floating "pop-up" display of the text of the verses.
- Allows users to open the full chapter of the referenced passage in a new window.
- Uses only the Authorized King James Bible for verse text.
The page you are viewing right now is running VerseClick. The verses below are not specially tagged in the source; they are just plain text.
- Psa 12:6-7; Mt 24:35.
- Psalm 138.2
- 2nd Timothy 3:16-17
- Luke 7:12; 8:42; 9:38; John 1:14; 3:16, 18; Hebrews 11:17; 1 John 4:9
VerseClick does not attempt to link verses in <H1> to <H4> heading tags, nor does it scan text which is already linked to something else. Also, in order to avoid false-positive matches, VerseClick does not link references unless a full Book-Chapter-Verse citation is made.
Benefits to webmasters:
- Absolutely free! No catch! Our goal is to make it as easy as possible for people to read the word of God, specifically, the King James Bible. Providing verse text for all Scripture references removes the excuse not to look up the verses.
- No special markup required!
- The "pop-ups" are 100% CSS, not actual pop-up windows, so there is no adverse impact on the user experience or blocker/malware issues.
- New: For advanced users, the popup can be styled with CSS (see below).
How to use VerseClick on your web pages:
Second, insert this line of code in your page source:
If you want to ensure that VerseClick links aren't underlined, just add this right below the above code in your web page source:
It is advisable not to host verseclick.js on your own server! If you do, it will break when the system is improved or changed!
For advanced users: Styling the popup with CSS:
By default, VerseClick uses a neutral set of colors and very legible font for the popup. Also, the linked verse text in the document gets the same styling as other links on the page.
If you want to change the styles, there are three classes you can add to your site's CSS. Below is some example code that could be added to a style sheet to give the popup and verse links a different look. Most CSS rules would be valid.
The three classes are:
Styling of the verse link link itself in the web page.
Styling of the verse text in the popup (background color, font, etc).
Styling of the header in the popup.
- VerseClick is copyrighted software, ©2013 StudyLamp Software LLC. All rights reserved.
- You may not modify VerseClick in any way. URLs in VerseClick may not be changed.
- VERSECLICK ("the Software") COMES WITH NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. ANY USE BY YOU OF THE SOFTWARE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS." IN NO EVENT WILL THE AUTHOR, STUDYLAMP SOFTWARE LLC, OR OUR WEB HOST BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, OR LOSS OF BUSINESS INFORMATION) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM, OR ANY SUCH DAMAGES DUE TO MALICIOUS ALTERATION OF THE PROGRAM, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY, EVEN IF THE AUTHOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THE AUTHOR'S AGGREGATE LIABILITY WITH RESPECT TO ITS OBLIGATIONS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT OR OTHERWISE WITH RESPECT TO THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION OR OTHERWISE SHALL NOT EXCEED THE AMOUNT OF THE LICENSE FEE PAID BY YOU FOR THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION. If you reside in a place where law disallows this disclaimer of warranty, you may not use VerseClick.
- This License Agreement shall be construed, interpreted and governed by the laws of the United States without regard to conflicts of law provisions thereof. The exclusive forum for any disputes arising out of or relating to this License Agreement shall be an appropriate court sitting in Oklahoma, United States. This License Agreement shall constitute the entire Agreement between the parties hereto. Any waiver or modification of this License Agreement shall only be effective if it is in writing and signed by both parties hereto. If any part of this License Agreement is found invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, the remainder of this License Agreement shall be interpreted so as to reasonably effect the intention of the parties.