For a complete Scripture study system, try SwordSearcher Bible Software, which includes the unabridged version of this dictionary. Once you experience the swiftness and ease-of-use SwordSearcher gives you right on your own computer, combined with the most powerful search features available, you will never want to use the web to do online study again. Includes tens of thousands of topical, encyclopedic, and commentary entries all linked to verses, fully searchable by topic or verse reference.
Also try Daily Bible and Prayer to design your own Bible reading programs and track your prayer list.
OPPRESS', v.t. L. appressus, from opprimo; ob and premo, to press.
1. To load or burden with unreasonable impositions; to treat with unjust severity, rigor or hardship; as, to oppress a nation with taxes or contributions; to oppress one by compelling him to perform unreasonable service.
2. To overpower; to overburden; as, to be oppressed with grief.
3. to sit or lie heavy on; as, excess of good oppresses the stomach.
OPPRESS'ED, pp. burdened with unreasonable impositions; overpowered; overburdened; depressed.
OPPRESS'ING, ppr. Overburdening.
1. The act of oppressing; the imposition of unreasonable burdens, either in taxes or services; cruelty; severity.
2. The state of being oppressed or overburdened; misery.
the Lord - saw the oppression of Israel. 2Kings. 8.
3. Hardship; calamity.
4. Depression; dullness of spirits; lassitude of body.
5. A sense of heaviness or weight in the breast, &c.
1. Unreasonably burdensome; unjustly severe; as oppressive taxes; oppressive exactions of service.
2. Tyrannical; as an oppressive government.
3. Heavy; overpowering; overwhelming; as oppressive grief or woe.
OPPRESS'IVELY, adv. In a manner to oppress; with unreasonable severity.
OPPRESS'IVENESS, n. The quality of being oppressive.
"Seek ye out of the book of the Lord, and read" —Isaiah 34:16, KJV
Website ©2014 AV1611.COM's webmaster. Various texts copyrighted by their authors.
Please feel free to link to pages on this site, but do not copy articles without authors' permission.