Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerMonkey View Post
That is not where I thought you were going. I was afraid you were going to say that the translation of 1611 was a new revelation or some such.

Correct me if I am wrong, do you believe that God has preserved His Word in full in the original languages, but that that preservation is spread amongst various manuscripts so that no single manuscript contains the perfect Word of God in full? I am not trying to put words in your mouth, but I am trying to better understand your position.
God's Word has been fully preserved, but scattered. That is to say, that among all the various copies in the original languages, and in other sources as well (e.g. Latin), the true Word of God is to be found. We are talking about the text, every last letter.

But when you look at each individual manuscript, while that might be the Word of God, it will have some variations in it. Moreover, there is no single edition in the Greek which has the entire New Testament perfectly. They are right, good and have been useful, but they had variations and other issues (such as missing portions), so there is no extant perfect Greek Testament that matches the autographs exactly.

However, by gathering out of many sources, first the editors of the Textus Receptus were able to reconstruct the New Testament to a greater level of accuracy. Also, the early Protestant English translations were improvements in the area of better portraying the sense in English. Thus, eventually, the King James Bible, which considered many sources and a variety of witnesses, gathered perfectly, so we have a final text which matches what was first inspired in the autographs, and translation which gives fully and completely the sense in English.