Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:42 PM

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

The second death is eternity in the lake of fire, not dying a second time. The son of the Shunamite woman died twice, Lazarus died twice, and many other people died twice, but I think we can say at least Lazarus is not waiting for the lake of fire.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:17 PM

I am aware of those who were raised from the dead. But what about Hebrews 9:27?

Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

I am not saying you are wrong, but I have always wondered if those who were raised from the dead died the "first" death?
Old 05-30-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winman View Post

Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

I am not saying you are wrong, but I have always wondered if those who were raised from the dead died the "first" death?
Some die twice like Lazarus and the girl that Jesus resurrected. Both times they die is considered the first death. There is only the first death and the second death mentioned in scripture. The second death is the Lake of Fire so lazarus, et al have to have experienced the first death twice.

Alternately, some don't die the first death, namely enoch and the translated saints.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:

What kept Christ from raising Lazarus from the dead, Win? And so what can keep Him from raising Moses to die a second time? The Bible very clearly teaches against reincarnation, but Paul and Christ clearly state also Judas Iscariot will rise from the dead as the anti-Christ. Judas died and was judged, he went to "his own place". Enoch turned water to blood?

Grace and peace brother

Tony
Old 05-30-2009, 02:46 PM

The First Death and the Second Death don't refer to how many times you have died. They are better defined as places or destinations. When a person dies the first death today he goes to Heaven or Hell. When he dies the second death he goes into the Lake of Fire. No one can die the second death until the Great White Throne Judgement.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:10 PM

Greenbear

That sounds nice, but my Bible says ONCE in Hebrews 9:27. So to me, the Bible does indeed say you only die once (the 1st death) and then the judgement. The Bible does indeed mention the number of times you die.

The definition for "once" in this verse is:

1) once, one time

2) once for all

Seems pretty clear and simple to me.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Greenbear

That sounds nice, but my Bible says ONCE in Hebrews 9:27. So to me, the Bible does indeed say you only die once (the 1st death) and then the judgement. The Bible does indeed mention the number of times you die.

1) once, one time

2) once for all

Win,
That sounds nice, too, except that some people die twice and some don't die at all. How do you account for that? Lazarus didn't die the second death even though he died twice because the second death is the lake of fire. i struggled with this for years and this is the only way I can reconcile it. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see what the alternative would be.

Jen
Old 05-31-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbear View Post
Win,
That sounds nice, too, except that some people die twice and some don't die at all. How do you account for that? Lazarus didn't die the second death even though he died twice because the second death is the lake of fire. i struggled with this for years and this is the only way I can reconcile it. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see what the alternative would be.

Jen
Jen, brother Win, I'm going to add a thread in Bible Studies called The Man Who Could Not Die that will cover this verse in Hebrews and specifically Enoch and The Rapture of the Church should clear up all questions on this.

Grace and peace

Tony
Old 06-20-2009, 10:52 PM

here is my view.

It is either two totally unknown Jewish believers in Christ who will be revealed during that time.

or it is Enoch of Gen5:24 and Elijah. Neither Enoch or Elijah died. And the scriptures tell us that it is appointed for every man to DIE ONCE then face judgement. Will Moses or John be risen to die again? Remember it can not violate Gods finished complete inspired inerrant preserved word of God.

also remember a glorified body can not face destruction or corruption it is free from that. the two witness have their head cut off that is destruction and they die. Corruption by Jewish standards starts as early as 3 1/2 to 4 days after death hence the reason God did not leave Christ in the grave and raised him on the third day and fulfill the scripture that his holy one would not see corruption. Also Rev 11:11 And AFTER three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them. were their heads on their bodies when they stood up? We are not told? headless bodies standing up would answer why so many feared them.

Moses nor any righteous OT saint have glorified bodies yet. they have to face the GWT judgement of all the dead and enter the New Jerusalem to eat of the tree of life and drink of the rivers of the water of life. that is why we read for Israel that some are raised to everlasting glory and some to everlasting destruction in the last day. Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
John 5:28, 29 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Acts 24:15 And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.

Last edited by chette777; 06-20-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Greenbear

1) once, one time

2) once for all

It looks like, in the Bible, there are exceptions to that rule.