Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:22 AM

Repentance
When a person repents, he changes his mind about something and proceeds in a different direction. God commands all sinners to repent of their sins and turn to Him for salvation (Acts 17:30-31; Luk. 13:3). A person who truly repents is a person who will (1) Become saddened about their sins (II Cor. 7:9-10; Psa. 51), (2) forsake their sins (Mt. 3:8; Acts 26:20), and (3) submit themselves to the will of God (Acts 9:6). Anything less is something less than Biblical repentance.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:12 PM

Welcome to these forums Mind and Body, I hope you will be encouraged through them.

You ask a good question, of which a few of us down here in NZ discussed only two nights ago in a home Bible study. I don't think you can make a general statement that ALL Catholics are unsaved, because it's apparent that there have been some saved while mixed up in the religion, who came out later.

Catholicism is a cult, it is a counterfeit of Christianity whose roots go back to ancient Babylon, it is basically Baal worship in the guise of Christianity. Salvation is attained through a system of good works, NOT by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ ALONE (Ephesians 2:8-9). They may say that they believe Jesus Christ is their Saviour, but deny Him as being the ONLY way to heaven. It's Jesus Christ PLUS the sacraments and good works, etc, etc.

I think one of the only sure ways to recognise a saved Catholic is when he leaves the Catholic church and goes on the serve the Lord, yet there may be some who do get saved but continue to be a memebr of the Catholic church and never do anything for God in this life, God only knows.

If you want to know for sure if a Catholic is saved or not, ask them the following question: "If you totally abandoned the Catholic church tomorrow and all you had left was faith in Jesus Christ and what He did on the cross for you, would you still go to heaven when you die?"
Old 03-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind and Body View Post
Hi, I am new here, but, since most everyone here is a Protestant who disagrees with Catholicism, I want a definitive answer, with Biblical evidence. I am a Baptist myself, but I am not convinced that Roman Catholics are damned. If anyone here thinks that they are, then will you please tell me why? Because Chick and the like say that they are.
Welcome to the forums!
You are getting some good replies here. People are not condemned because of their denomination, they are condemned because of their unbelief.

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

I just want to add a few more thoughts for your consideration...

1. Baptists are not really protestants, we have different history.
2. Only God looks on hearts and knows who is saved for sure.
3. Catholics can certainly be saved, just like Baptists.
4. Baptists can be unsaved, just like Catholics.
5. Denominations do not save people, Christ saves people.
6. Catholic DOCTRINE does not lead one to salvation by grace.
7. Baptist DOCTRINE can lead one to salvation by grace.
8. The King James Bible is the final authority on our doctrine.

Good news for all Catholics; believers do not need an Italian priesthood system, or any other such system. Believers don't need a "mediator" to relate to God, the Bible tells us we now have Jesus, so we can "CUT OUT THE MIDDLE MAN!"
(Heb. 10:11-22, 1 Timothy 2:5, Eph. 2:8-9, Romans 3:23)
Old 03-20-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Hi, I am new here, but, since most everyone here is a Protestant who disagrees with Catholicism, I want a definitive answer, with Biblical evidence. I am a Baptist myself, but I am not convinced that Roman Catholics are damned. If anyone here thinks that they are, then will you please tell me why? Because Chick and the like say that they are.
Of course a Roman Catholic can be saved.

Quote:
Brother Parrish correctly wrote: People are not condemned because of their denomination, they are condemned because of their unbelief.

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18
To me, the relevant question is: "Can a true born-again "Catholic" continue to follow the false teaching of Catholicism?"
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
John 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:36 PM

I nowhere said that people were saved by Church attendance or denomination or anything other than belief, but I was wondering if anyone here perscribed to the notion that Catholics worship a non-Scriptural Christ, or perhaps that some did not worship Him at all, which would damn them to Hell.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:17 PM

What I meant was, did some here think that Catholics aren't getting to "The Real McCoy", as it were, they are not expressing belief in the Real Christ, only the angry, co-mediatrix, Second-to-Mary type of Jesus that Catholics believe in? because that, I thought, was what damned Catholics to Hell. I really started to have my doubts in Catholicism when my friend Benjamin's mother, a devout Catholic that never misses Mass, suggested in a short conversation that God might be Female. She said of the Bible, which clearly teaches otherwise, that "the opinions of the writers got mixed up in the writings." I really was so flabbergasted that I had then nothing to say to her, but I can tell you that I am almost sure that she is not Born-Again.

Last edited by Mind and Body; 03-22-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:04 PM

Default Catholic damned to Hell

Quote:
What I meant was, did some here think that Catholics aren't getting to "The Real McCoy", as it were, they are not expressing belief in the Real Christ, only the angry, co-mediatrix, Second-to-Mary type of Jesus that Catholics believe in? because that, I thought, was what damned Catholics to Hell. I really started to have my doubts in Catholicism when my friend Benjamin's mother, a devout Catholic that never misses Mass, suggested in a short conversation that God might be Female. She said of the Bible, which clearly teaches otherwise, that "the opinions of the writers got mixed up in the writings." I really was so flabbergasted that I had then nothing to say to her, but I can tell you that I am almost sure that she is not Born-Again.
What really a catholic or to anyone damned to eternal hell is that their rejection to the Biblical Christ as their personal Saviour. Even a man who may be knowledgeable in many things of the bible yet still be damned to hell. I guess it's not what they believe in that makes them damned to eternal hell.Again, It is their full rejection to the Christ of the Bible as their Saviour.God's provision to man's need (incluing Catholic) was met at the cross of calvary. And only those who received Him (John 1:12) will be saved.

Jude 25
www.fredsites.weebly.com
Old 03-23-2009, 02:40 PM

Mind and Body

Here is a good article from the Jesus-Is-Savior website that goes into some detail about what Catholics believe they must believe and do to go to Heaven.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False..._salvation.htm
Old 03-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
What I meant was, did some here think that Catholics aren't getting to "The Real McCoy", as it were, they are not expressing belief in the Real Christ, only the angry, co-mediatrix, Second-to-Mary type of Jesus that Catholics believe in?
Well M&B, I think your concern is valid.
If a cult or any religious system creates enough confusion for its followers, it will certainly lead to a false sense of salvation by works and a false understanding of Christ, which is very dangerous! That's why I wrote back in post no 8, "Catholic DOCTRINE does not lead one to salvation by grace."

You can see an example of this false sense of salvaton in Matthew chapter 7---I call this the most frightening passage in the Bible---because these poor people actually THINK they are saved!

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
-- Matt 7:22-23
Old 03-23-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Correct, what ultimately damns a Catholic to hell is that they do not believe in the "real" Jesus who is the ONLY mediator between God and man, who is the ONLY acceptable sacrifice for sins, and who died, was buried, and rose again ONCE ONLY...not every mass service!

However, despite the false doctrines of the Catholic church and every effort to blind it's members to the Way, Truth, and Life, I believe that some Catholics do find the real Jesus in their lifetime and do get saved. I reject the blanket statement that "ALL Catholics are damned to hell."