Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Bro. Samuel said: I have no objections to tithing, but to constrain Church members under a law, NO. Paul plainly taught that giving was not to be by constraint, when he asked for a gift. But in showing forth by those who were involved, the love of Christ that was in them.
Quote:
Bro. Paul said: yet I constantly hear that the law still stands when it comes down to tithing. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
I see that giving your all is required in the NT but does the 10% rule still apply in the places where you assemble?
First thought: I've never heard any pastors I have any respect for preach that this is a law or a rule.

Second: Fast answer - No it doesn't still apply

Third: 10% can be a good starting place.

Fourth: My husband preaches a wonderful sermon on this very subject. I'll see if he can fish it out for me and let you know what he thinks
Old 07-26-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda S. View Post
First thought: I've never heard any pastors I have any respect for preach that this is a law or a rule.

Second: Fast answer - No it doesn't still apply

Third: 10% can be a good starting place.
Good preaching there sis..................

Malachi 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

The Church is not the storehouse.

Malachi 1:1 The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi.

The issue of tithing can be contrasted with giving under grace through Paul:

2 Corinthians 9:6-7 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Simple enough, huh?

As Amanda said................I do believe that a tenth is at least a good number to “start” with. If 10% is good enough for the Old Testament what does that say for the New Testament-- Hebrews 7:22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.