General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

View Poll Results: Greatest Western "flick".........................
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly 1 9.09%
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
1 9.09%
Magnificent Seven 0 0%
Magnificent Seven
0 0%
3:15 to Yuma 1 9.09%
3:15 to Yuma
1 9.09%
Other: Which one? 9 81.82%
Other: Which one?
9 81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Vendetta Ride

Both versions of "3:10 to Yuma" were very good, but in my opinion, the newer version is superior. It's a good story, because it's character-driven instead of action-driven. The charming sociopath vs. the dull, plodding "good man." Christian Bale and Russell Crowe were excellent.

I loved "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," but I don't think it was the greatest western ever, because all of Eastwwod's "spaghetti westerns" were atypical of the genre. "Unforgiven" was marvelous, and may be the greatest; it's hard to say.

Although I like it very much, I can't consider "The Magnificent Seven" the greatest, because it's not an original story; it's a westernized remake of "The Seven Samurai." Nothing wrong with that, but it's still a remake.

Critics say "The Searchers" is the greatest, and I'd be inclined to agree: John Wayne was nearly perfect in that movie. But there were elements of "comic relief" that were so broad, and so trite, that they nearly ruin the movie for me.

I could talk about westerns all night, so I'll just cut it short. I don't know what the greatest western was, but I have no doubt about my personal favorite: "Tombstone," which I've watched so often that I've almost got it memorized!
Old 11-27-2008, 05:30 AM
fundy

I dont know about a western, but "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" more or less described our last family get-together

fundy
Old 11-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundy View Post
I dont know about a western, but "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" more or less described our last family get-together

fundy
Old 11-27-2008, 10:13 AM

I like western omelettes.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
I like western omelettes.
You just haven't seen the right movies. Your thinking is scrambled.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundy View Post

fundy
Ah, so you had the inlaws and the outlaws over?
Old 11-27-2008, 09:34 PM

Touche', VR!
Old 11-28-2008, 12:03 AM
fundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeByrd View Post
Ah, so you had the inlaws and the outlaws over?
Yep, as soon as I saw the War Wagon turn into the street, I knew it must have been High Noon. I told Annie to go Get her Gun,but she and the others had Gone With the Wind...

One of the Unforgiven was driving the Stagecoch, the other was looking a bit Pale after Riding such a long way, and Aunt Katie Elder, well, all she Wore was a Yellow Ribbon...and her son's were just plain Bad and Ugly.

I knew I had to get rid of them,or else lunchtime around the table would be like Dancing With Wolves. I offered them A Fist Full of Dollars just to get out of there, and one of them said they might...For a Few Dollars More. I spat a wad of chewin 'backy into the gutter and warned them that I could soon get a Fist Full O Dynamite that would blow ,em clear back over the Rio Grande!

Aunt Katie said they could still catch the 3.10 to Yuma if they hurried, I told them that Petticoat Junction ( it's sort of a western) was closer.

They all knew that all they were going to get from me was a Tombstone, there was no lunchtime Bonanza to be had here, so they hit The Big Trail and rode off into the sunset....what a bunch of Hombre's...

fundy
Old 11-28-2008, 02:20 AM

Default Creative Writing from "Down Under".

Fundy:--- That was You get an "A" on your Paper today, and the Thread Starter promises to send you a boxed set of John Wayne's Cavalry movies .
Old 11-28-2008, 02:50 AM

Default Greastest Western...?

As much as I wanted to vote for one of the BEST Movies EVER on celluiod- to wit; "The Magnificent Seven" !!! But since it takes place in a village ..."a couple days ride south of the Border..." It would actually be a "southern", rather than a "Western".

I voted "Other". The Greatest Western flick... would probably have to be one that covers "The Westward" movement.

It would have boats, rafts, canoes, wagons, buckboards, Rifles, Pistols, lances, Bows/arrows, Pioneers, Fur Trappers/fur traders, Indians, Soldiers, Locomotives and tracks and Track Layers, Cowboys, Gamblers, God-fearin' folk and saloon/show people, funerals and graves, and marriages and children, Criminals, Lawmen, Miners, Businessmen, Pony Express Riders, telegraph poles, buffalo herds. Therefore, I nominate:

"How The West Was Won".