Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
Brandon, exactly when do the teaching of Jesus in Matt 5-7 take effect then?
First, allow me to plead that I do not have all the answers. Only hyper-dispensationalists have it all worked out.

It's the gospel of the kingdom, which Israel rejected but will eventually come to pass. The preaching of the Kingdom applies directly to the Kingdom. The world is going to see that Kingdom one day!

Quote:
"Blessed are" is present tense, so was this only for the disciples who followed Jesus during His earthly ministry?
Firstly, I am not saying there is no application to us. Secondly, the phrase "blessed are" is also used in Luke 12:37-38 clearly in reference to something in the future.

Quote:
Are you saying that Jesus was NOT instructing us today to:
Matthew 6:25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Yes, I am saying this does not apply to me. What Paul says applies to me:
2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

Obviously when we work we "take thought" for our livelihoods. Part of the reason I work is to provide substance for my family and myself. Clearly this is not in accordance with Mt 6:25 (unless you want to explain to me how I can work for a living without taking thought of it), but it is not sin, since Paul clearly commands that people who are unwilling to work should not be fed.

I agree there is a non-literal application of Matthew 6 for me, but "take no thought" is quite literal, isn't it?