Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

View Poll Results: Is water baptism Biblically correct for believers today?
Yes 29 85.29%
Yes
29 85.29%
No 5 14.71%
No
5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish View Post
Brandon Staggs, what is your position on this issue of believer's baptism being part of the Mosaic Law?
I disagree with Bro. Tony.

But I do not understand why you asked me.

Also, your post gets pretty close to exactly what I said I will not tolerate. You are now accusing Tony of trying to spread leaven, when he practically had to be tied up to the rack and stretched then shoved into an iron maiden before he would even discuss the topic with you.

I am not beholden to Baptist theology; my final authority is the Bible itself. It does not offend me to have my beliefs challenged with Scripture. I don't agree with Tony's conclusions, but he has only tried to argue his position from Scripture, and that only after being urged to by several people. If this thread can't stay civil I will shut it down.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
I disagree with Bro. Tony.

But I do not understand why you asked me.
Simple brother I wanted to know what you thought about it.

Quote:
Also, your post gets pretty close to exactly what I said I will not tolerate. You are now accusing Tony of trying to spread leaven, when he practically had to be tied up to the rack and stretched then shoved into an iron maiden before he would even discuss the topic with you.
I didn't start the thread, Brandon.
I actually tried to avoid the dispute on several occasions and still am—look at all my posts and you will see that.

Quote:
I am not beholden to Baptist theology; my final authority is the Bible itself.
As is mine.

Quote:
It does not offend me to have my beliefs challenged with Scripture. I don't agree with Tony's conclusions, but he has only tried to argue his position from Scripture, and that only after being urged to by several people. If this thread can't stay civil I will shut it down.
Well by all means shut it down I don't care.
Tony is suggesting that believer's baptism (which is not confined to Baptist Theology, in fact I wasn't even baptized in a Baptist church!) is a dead work of the Mosaic law. As I understand it, that's Bullingerism. I'm not offended, angry or juggling donuts, but that is bad doctrine, and it should be exposed for what it is—no matter who is involved. It won't negate my love for Tony but it is what it is.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:10 AM

Brother Brandon, as the initiator of this thread, I am going to ask that you do close it. A few of the brethren are getting a little too testy. I am not trying to turn this into a dispensational fight. Tony is not trying to "convert" us ( which won't work anyhow 'cause we know our Bibles too well ). I do not see any further discussion leading to beneficial results. Any further comments can be made directly via email. [or alternatively go to another less decent forum ]
Old 05-04-2009, 11:55 AM

I still practice the ordinance of baptism.

Man...that wasn't even 2 cents worth
Old 05-04-2009, 12:24 PM

But it was more than you are worth!

To everyone else: GreekTim is my evil twin. I have all the brains and he has the looks.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
But it was more than you are worth!

To everyone else: GreekTim is my evil twin. I have all the brains and he has the looks.
LOL...I have the looks because I could be brOTHER Tim's grandson

(BTW, I truly did laugh out loud all by myself when I read that last post. Good stuff, brother)
Old 05-04-2009, 12:52 PM

Well I am twice as old, and thrice as wise, but my grandson? No, just my confused little brother.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Forum Administrator

Guys, it's one thing to allow for thread drift, but a blatant change of topic should start a new thread. Tandi, your "requests" for GreekTim to help you revise the Bible should be taken off-forum and certainly don't belong in this thread!
Old 05-04-2009, 02:58 PM

(psst... Brandon, I was hoping that you would blow this thread out of the water. Sorry for the off-topic silliness. GT does that to me.)

I think that it is evident that the challenge to the doctrine of believer's baptism is limited to a fairly small group of Christians. [Not that numbers are the prime criteria for deciding the validity of a doctrine.] I believe that it is presented in the Scriptures as a practice that was taking place in the New Testament era church. It's practice was not ended by some mandate of Scriptures. Therefore I believe that it is a legitimate doctrine of the church today.

I have spoken. I am finished. and
Old 05-04-2009, 07:45 PM

You see I mentioned it was not essential to our salvation not that any one had or thought that. But for a point.

the Point being, NO need to argue about it, or to label people concerning their view on water baptism for the body of Christ or not for the body.

Tbones Has done a very polite expounding of his view. but some of you have not returned the favor.

My questions and comments in this thread have in no way be disrespectful or belligerent in any tone. yet The post will be shut down because a few of you wont relax and chill a little. as I said it doesn't effect our salvation so no need to be all dogmatic about it.