Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:17 AM

Default fasting praying

Can someone knowledgable please tell me about fasting;
is it still done oday and why?
what is it for?
why was it done?
The curch I attend never mentions anyhing about this subject.
Thanks and God Bless.
Bill. =)
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-26-2009, 08:24 PM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union

Indeed, we are to fast today.

Here are some scriptures to support it.

Matthew 6:16 "Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

17But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;

18That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly."

2 Corinthians 11:27 "In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness."

-It is important for us to know that Paul fasted, and it brought his body into subjection (1 Cor 9:27)

Matthew 17:21 "Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting"
-referring to a demon that the disciples could not cast out.

-Scripture instructs fasting even when referring to married couples in strife in I Corinthians 7:5
"Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency."

It's sad, most references to fasting the the New Testament are changed or removed in the modern versions. Disarming the saints....

Yes, we are to fast, for many reasons
-to ask for wisdom in a decision or discernment in interpreting scripture
-to ask earnestly for God's help
-and to cut off yourself from all things physical to refocus yourself on God

The basic "guidelines", if you will of fasting.
-Do not eat for a period of over 24 hours, while abstaining from all earthly distractions (this is a personal commitment because Satan will constantly try to distract you with new and various methods.)

-The first 24 hours are always the hardest, hang in there. Feel free to pray to God to help you in your desire to ask help from God

-After the fast has been broken (you have reached the time predetermined before the fast to quit), eat fruits and vegetables for the next day or a half to get your digestive system off to a good start.

-By the way, fasting has some earthly benefits as well.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:03 PM

Default Re: "fasting praying"

Aloha brother Paladin54,

It's great to see you posting again. I hope that you are OK and that all's well with you and the Lord.

Welcome back!
Old 03-27-2009, 04:37 AM

Have you ever considered this, and the Fast our Lord wants from us.

Isa:58:5: Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?
Isa:58:6: Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?

Psalms:1:1: Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
Psalms:1:2: But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
Psalms:1:3: And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

Our “Fast” is in Christ Jesus, he is the fulfillment of the LAW and the prophets. When we submit ourselves to him, and separate ourselves from the Materialism, Hypocrisy, and Wickedness of this World, and obey his commandments:
Lu:10:27: And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

In these things, we have fulfilled our Fast unto the Lord. Until you fulfill this Fast, all the starving you can do will not please the Lord, you will only accomplish loosing weight.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Tandi

Speaking of fasting, does anyone have research/documentation as to whether Pharisees fasted on Sabbath in the first century? I understand that Pharisees commonly fasted on Mondays and Thursdays (twice a week) but how widespread was this practice? Apparently there is some question about this, but the prime resource I would like to check is in Hebrew (the Gilat reference below). Any assistance would be appreciated.

Quote:
A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, by William David Davies, Dale C. Allison p. 312:

“Although we have not brought the fact into the discussion, fasting was traditionally forbidden by some Jews on the sabbath (cf. Jud 8:6; Jub. 50:12; SB 1, pp. 611-15), and this might have something to do with our pericope, to wit: at least Jesus’ critics could not complain that his disciples should have fasted all day. But was the prohibition widespread? See Y. D. Gilat, ‘On Fasting on the Sabbath’, Tarbiz 51 (1983), pp. 1-15.”
Shalom,

Tandi