Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2009, 12:56 PM

Default Ezk 43:3 Question

Eze 43:3 And it was according to the appearance of the vision which I saw, even according to the vision that I saw when I came to destroy the city: and the visions were like the vision that I saw by the river Chebar; and I fell upon my face.

I use a New Scofield KJV(one with the changes back in the columns). I usually don't use the notes and I cross out the ones that put doubts on the word of God. The footnote on this verse bothers me because I haven't found the answer to the attack.
The note says "According to the KJV and another version the text reads "when I came to destroy the city". Obviously it was not Ezekiel who came to destroy the city of Jerusalem for her sins, but the LORD Himself. On the basis of the requirements of the context, the reading in some six manuscripts, the version of Theodotion and that of the Vulgate, some have suggested a reading "when he came to detroy the city." A possible redering, and perhaps preferable, would be to read the final letter of the disputed word as a well-known abbreviation for "LORD", thus giving us the reading "when the LORD came to destroy the city."

Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks.
Tim