Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:15 PM

Default Thompson Chain Reference Bible

Hello everyone,
I have heard about the Thompson Chain Reference Bible since I was very young. Only yesterday did I briefly see one up close an personal for the first time and I did not have much time to familiarize myself with the features. I was hoping those of you who have owned or own one now could help me to learn more.

I have spent much time on the Kirkbride web site.

I know the text is not "Pure Cambridge Edition." I emailed Kirkbride and asked if they could tell me what particular text is use, Cambridge or Oxford and the particular edition. Thus far I have not heard back, but I expect this is due to the holiday season.

Does anyone know what text is used? I'm assuming Cambridge and that it would be the 1769 edition.

Regarding the advantages or disadvantages, why would I want a Thompson Chain? What are the advantages or disadvantages?

Regarding the quality of the genuine leather versions (I'm not interested in a Bonded Leather) compared to say a Cambridge or Allan (which I hear are the gold-standard or best made Bibles in the world), how is the quality? Should one be purchased from Kirkbride or are there other suppliers? Comparison of quality from other suppliers to Kirkbride?

Kirkbride makes the following claim:
"Your Thompson® Bible is "influence-free," because instead of commentary, our margins are filled with thousands of chain-references® that propel you ahead into Scripture. Scholars agree that the Bible is its own best commentary, and no other study Bible helps you go deeper into the Scriptures than a Thompson® Chain-Reference® Study Bible."
http://www.kirkbride.com/thompson-content.asp

True or false?

Anything else I might need to know?

Thank you in advance,
Harley
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 12-25-2008, 05:36 AM

Default Thompson C.R.B.

Hello and Merry Christmas to you. Saw your Post while I was listening/watching to large Choir from Luther College ( In Iowa, I think.) . Some great voices singing about the birth of a baby in a stable/barn/shed in a small place called Bethlehem... Makes one think --- 2000+ years after a birth --- people are still remembering His birthday... " What child is this...? "

Permit the wandering--- everytime I start to think about all the little itty-bitty parts of the puzzle that "just happened" to come together at that moment in the history of the world, it boggles the mind.

Okay... I'll get back to the Topic

The Thompson Chain Ref. Bible has been around 100 years now. It is a good Bible for all the reasons that were stated in the quote that you posted from them. You won't go wrong with it.

I suggest that you get the Large Print (which isn't "Large", just normal ) as you are probably over 20 years of age. I wrote them just 2 weeks ago about that issue. I think they would sell more if they used a 10 point print font. Trouble is that whenever a publisher increases the font size,,, the size of the book must increase--- it's one of those "Physics" things. . They replied to me nicely, but they have to try and print items that will sell. I saw this time and again when I worked at 2 different Christian Book Stores. People want BIG print--- but they want a small book to carry... I called them "GoldieLocks customers"... . { I also asked that they (Kirkbride) print a Black letter for the words of Christ edition, instead of the Red Letter... They said they did that once and the sales were dismal... .

Go back to the website and click on this link which shows you how to use the Chain-Reference system. Also look for a couple of Posters on here that use a Thompson... one is called Steve54, the other-- slipped my mind. Ask Steve54 for some tips. He seems like a genial guy.

http://www.kirkbride.com/thompson-how-to.asp

Basically, if you look at Genesis 1:1 , in the margin (IIRC) it says Creation/Creator and then a number next to that. IF you want to look up/follow the chain about that topic, then--- you turn to the back of the Bible in the Topical index section and find that number, then look up the verses on the list that can be linked to Creator/Creation. This can be done with many other topics/subjects/people. It also has other study helps in the back and the front with maps and links to who wrote each book of the Bible and when/why/to whom .

{ In a couple of hours I'll check and see if the milk and cookies are gone and I have my own Thompson... } {it's about 0220 hrs A.S.T. and I should hit the rack soon.}

BTW--- Thompson was the name of the Pastor who came up with the Chain-Reference number system. Kirkbride is the company that prints it/sells it/distributes it. BBTW--- Get the Leather! It may cost $20 more than the Bonded Leather ( which is 90% leather fibers mixed with 10% resin ) , but the Leather will last decades, whereas the Bonded one has about a 10 year (maybe) lifespan.

Click on the margins of the Kirkbride site and you can read how they got started and what goes into making a Bible. As for Cambridge; They do make a quality product.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:39 AM
LeeM1023

I like the Thompson bible, but don't use it all the time. I use it when I'm working on a special topic or need some different perspectives on a passage.

It is primarily "influence free", although that's not entirely possible, of course. Dr. Thompson was a Methodist. There certainly are no "doctrinal" notes in the Bible, but a specific viewpoint does come through in some of the sections about people and books of the Bible.

I have both the regular print and the large print . . . large print is definitely the way to go, although it makes for a larger and heavier volume.

The leather that Kirkbride uses is not "deluxe" or "premium" leather, except perhaps in the centennial edition they're offering now. It's a little on the stiff side, but certainly no problem.

Also worth mentioning that you can buy Thompson Bibles from places like Amazon.com and cbd.com at a discounted price. CBD has both black and burgundy editions in genuine leather for $39.99 on their web site right now. The large print is listed at $85.99.

One other point: the Thompson does use some translations from "the revised version" in the margin. I don't find this to be a problem, any more than using a dictionary, as long as you're clear that the actual wording is that in the text itself.

Lee
Old 12-25-2008, 11:11 AM

The Thompson Chain reference is a wonderful study Bible, easy to find scripture relevant to topics. I have mine passed on from my Grandfather and I use it and swordsearcher and nothing else for study
The archeological section at the back though contains some material that I dont believe helps the KJB as the inerrant Word of God as we know it, but thats not scriptural, but archeological.
That aside its a wonderful bible, I treasure mine.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:45 PM

In my opinion the Thompson Chain is the best Bible out there! Kirkbride is the only publisher of real Thompson Chain Bibles! If it's not from Kirkbride, it's a fraud. They even had to put out a warning about it.

I use a regular size, genuine leather Thompson. It's quality is excellent. I especially love the paper! They promise that the paper will not discolor, and that 50 years from now the pages will still be as white as day one.

As for the text, it seems like Cambridge to me.

Hope this helps. I would definitely recommend getting one!
Old 12-25-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
In my opinion the Thompson Chain is the best Bible out there!

I would definitely recommend getting one!
Thank you Josh. Can you share why you feel the Thompson is the best Bible out there? What about this particular Bible compells you to say that? Why would you recommend it so strongly?

I realize this will be your opinion, based upon how you use your Thompson, and that's fine. In fact that is exactly what I am interested in hearing.

The reason is I do not use study or center-reference Bible's anymore. I quite many years ago in favor of just plain text Bibles.

Harley
Old 12-27-2008, 10:20 AM

Sure thing.

The reason I love it so much is because it doesn't have any notes like most study Bible do. Plus it has over 100,000 references, covering over 8,000 topics.

So say you want to do a study on Godliness. This is topic 3081. You turn to this number in the back, and it has: 1 Tim. 2:1-2, 1 Tim. 4:7, 1 Tim. 6:3, 1 Tim. 6:11, Titus 2:12, 2 Peter 1:3, 2 Peter 3:11. Plus, there are tons of subtopics, and other topics, linked to each verse!

The only thing I don't like is that it occasionally has and R.V. reading in the margin, but these are few and far between unlike most reference Bibles, and use can always just cross it out. Like I said, it doesn't have any notes to try to push Alexandrian reading though.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:51 PM

Thanks Josh.