General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

View Poll Results: What is your present age?
10-19 3 5.36%
10-19
3 5.36%
20-29 10 17.86%
20-29
10 17.86%
30-39 13 23.21%
30-39
13 23.21%
40-49 12 21.43%
40-49
12 21.43%
50-59 13 23.21%
50-59
13 23.21%
60-69 5 8.93%
60-69
5 8.93%
70-79 0 0%
70-79
0 0%
80-89 0 0%
80-89
0 0%
90+ 0 0%
90+
0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Tandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Am I View Post
Hiya tandi! Glad you've joined the forum.

I really was blessed by reading your testimony: I love how the Lord does speak to us through His word.

Did your daughter get 'saved' as well?
Thank you for the warm welcome! Yes, my daughter, son, husband, father, and mother all came to the knowledge of the truth through that one "little red Bible." I was invited to give my testimony at Gideon's pastor's banquets a few times, years ago, but when I emphasized that it was a KJV at a time when they were switching to other versions, I was not invited back. I don't think the Gideons are even allowed to hand out Bibles to public school kids any longer. Times have changed.

Going down memory lane.....I remember the time my husband backed up a mile on the side of the highway to save one penny on a gallon of gas....he wanted the 18 cent price. This was when independent stations started popping up with lower prices. But that was the beginning of the end for the friendly teenage attendant who would check your oil and wash your windshield at the Shell station at the 23 cent price. And in those days, it was unheard of to buy a gallon of milk at a gas station. It was a greasy place with maybe a gumball machine, not a convenience store.

I am looking forward to conversations with this community of believers. It is pretty amazing how the Internet can bring like-minded people together from all over the world!

Shalom,

Tandi
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 12-19-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride
I remember the daily newspaper costing a dime, 25 cents on Sunday.
So do I. When I was a paper girl (ooh, what a concept, hmm?) we'd collect 60 cents every week from those who got the paper Monday through Saturday, and 85 cents from those who got it seven days.

For those of you 'younger' peeps, how about this for honesty? The bundle of papers (probably 30 or more) were put in a large wooden box at the end of the road. We'd ride our bicycles to the box and take out the bundle addressed to us. No lock, no security.

And no one ever stole any of the papers, even on Sundays....

...and it wasn't that long ago, that was either 1969 or 1970...
Old 12-19-2008, 12:52 PM

I loved that post VR! I wish I could have grown up back then. Sounds great.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Am I View Post
So do I. When I was a paper girl (ooh, what a concept, hmm?) we'd collect 60 cents every week from those who got the paper Monday through Saturday, and 85 cents from those who got it seven days.

For those of you 'younger' peeps, how about this for honesty? The bundle of papers (probably 30 or more) were put in a large wooden box at the end of the road. We'd ride our bicycles to the box and take out the bundle addressed to us. No lock, no security.

And no one ever stole any of the papers, even on Sundays....

...and it wasn't that long ago, that was either 1969 or 1970...
When I was a paperboy They just left the stack of papers at the sidewalk with just a ziptie around them. And I never lost a single paper.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 12-19-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandi View Post
Yes, my daughter, son, husband, father, and mother all came to the knowledge of the truth through that one "little red Bible." I was invited to give my testimony at Gideon's pastor's banquets a few times, years ago, but when I emphasized that it was a KJV at a time when they were switching to other versions, I was not invited back. I don't think the Gideons are even allowed to hand out Bibles to public school kids any longer. Times have changed.

Hi Tandi!

I also have a "little red New Testament" from Gideon's...except mine is NASB.....but it was still instrumental in leading me to the point of salvation. I got mine on Oct 20, 1978, part of the (then) standard grade 5 distribution.

Hi Vendetta Ride!

My parents have shared some of those "remember whens" with me on occasion.....
Old 12-19-2008, 08:25 PM

Default When did Gideon switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandi View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have been a KJV fan since receiving a Gideon’s New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs shortly after my born-again experience in 1982.
Welcome Tandi!

Earlier this week I was on a trip and picked up the Gideon Bible in our room. To my utter shock I saw it was a "New King James"...does anyone know when Gideon made the switch from the Authorized Version to the Thomas Nelson Version (aka "New King James")?
Old 12-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
I loved that post VR! I wish I could have grown up back then. Sounds great.
Well, brother, God put you where (or, rather, when) he wanted you. I think one reason He put me in the pre-Internet days is that I simply couldn't have handled all the temptations and opportunities for wickedness.

It's fun to look back on those days, but it also presents a danger, of which God warned us in no uncertain terms: Say not thou, What is the cause that the former days were better than these? for thou dost not enquire wisely concerning this (Ecc. 7:10).

"Nostalgia" is fun, but dangerous. We're supposed to be forgetting those things which are behind, and pressing forward for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus!

Old 12-22-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
Well, brother, God put you where (or, rather, when) he wanted you. I think one reason He put me in the pre-Internet days is that I simply couldn't have handled all the temptations and opportunities for wickedness.

It's fun to look back on those days, but it also presents a danger, of which God warned us in no uncertain terms: Say not thou, What is the cause that the former days were better than these? for thou dost not enquire wisely concerning this (Ecc. 7:10).

"Nostalgia" is fun, but dangerous. We're supposed to be forgetting those things which are behind, and pressing forward for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus!

That's right brother, Amen. That Ecclesiastes 7:10 verse was just brilliant. It just goes to show that truly our God has given us a book of truth that covers ALL topics. We are so blessed.

Much Love in Christ,
Stephen
Old 12-22-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
I find a lot of things I like about different eras that came before and how wonderful it must have been to live during those times... then I think about the flip side of those eras... sickness, famine, war, death during childbirth, cold/heat, hard labor just to keep food on the table, etc, etc... I enjoy my comforts. Had I been born in an earlier era I may have died from my asthma long ago.

I am thankful for where/when I am because were it not for the early days of the Internet and BBSes I never would have met Diligent. Three thousand miles of ocean were between us and we just "happened" to meet through my sister's BBS. Without which this forum and conversation would not be taking place.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Vendetta Ride

Very well said, Jae.

By the way your new avatar is ... striking.