Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Doxa

Default Cambridge Large Text Bible

Just wanted to report (just received it) about this one and how it compares to this...

HOW TO KNOW THE
PURE CAMBRIDGE EDITION OF THE KING JAMES BIBLE

It is important to have the correct, perfect and final text of the King James Bible, since there are correctors (e.g. publishers) who have changed some aspects of King James Bible texts. The final form of the King James Bible is the Pure Cambridge Edition (circa 1900), which conforms to the following:

1. “or Sheba” not “and Sheba” in Joshua 19:2

2. “sin” not “sins” in 2 Chronicles 33:19

3. “Spirit of God” not “spirit of God” in Job 33:4

4. “whom ye” not “whom he” in Jeremiah 34:16

5. “Spirit of God” not “spirit of God” in Ezekiel 11:24

6. “flieth” not “fleeth” in Nahum 3:16

7. “Spirit” not “spirit” in Matthew 4:1

8. “further” not “farther” in Matthew 26:39

9. “bewrayeth” not “betrayeth” in Matthew 26:73

10. “Spirit” not “spirit” in Mark 1:12

11. “spirit” not “Spirit” in Acts 11:28

12. “spirit” not “Spirit” in 1 John 5:8

All are correct in my new Cambridge Large Print Text only Bible, except this last one (verse 1 John 5:8). It has "Spirit". I have a smaller Cambridge that was probably made in the early 1970's or even the very end of the 1960's that has "spirit" in 1 John 5:8.

Question...I have been looking up a little bit on the KJV editions that I have, and I would like to inquire...if it does not match up to these indications/verses posted above, do we deem the whole Bible as being possibly edited, or can we trust it anyway???

Is there some code of ethics or standards given to the publication of the KJV or it is so uncopyrighted that it is a free for all for any publisher to alter it at will? Or ???

I would venture to guess that the publisher would want to be as original as possible as to please the KJV customer...but...I admit I am in the land of new found ignorance here.

Does someone know about more of this in this past century? Links online? Can most KJV versions be trusted? Are the verses mentioned above just indications of what to look for, or are these the only obvious changes made in KJV versions or could there be many more? If many more, which ones should we avoid?

I saw that the Cambridge Bible that I bought that is a Cambridge Large Print Text (only) that a company Trinitarian also makes/publishes one like this...is this the same edition??? Or is it older? Or?

Thanks bunches for your thoughts, comments, and time.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 09-04-2008, 01:36 AM

Hello Doxa. It isn't a company, but rather it is a society formed in 1831 to put forth Protestant Bibles unblemished by Roman Catholic bias. The Trinitarian Bible Society is HQed in London, England, U.K. and has offices in 5 countries.

Besides Bibles and New Testaments, they have scripture Tracts, scripture-landscape scene calenders/ Bookmarks/Greetings Cards/Colouring Books/Posters. They also have some very good Articles both defending the Authorized Version and exposing the problems with many of the Modern Translations. {Both for sale and some for free on their website (look in the margin) that will be helpful to you.}

www.trinitarianbiblesociety.org

www.TBS-sales.org

They do have excellent Bibles for sale, and they are high quality because they are made by Cambridge Bibles...But with the T.B.S. logo instead of the Cambridge. I own the one called "Comfort Text"...Very easy on the eyeballs. Also have the Concord Reference Bible. Good Quality and the price is a bit less that Cambridge Bible Press.

They have several options. From small "Royal Ruby" 5-1/2" x "3-1/4" to the "Double Pica" which is so large it takes 4 volumes to hold the whole Bible 9" x 5-1/2" (24 point size print... for the legally blind or for your gramma who refuses to buy new glasses- )
Old 09-04-2008, 08:46 AM

I will point out a few things concerning KJB editions, as follows...

Quote:
Question...I have been looking up a little bit on the KJV editions that I have, and I would like to inquire...if it does not match up to these indications/verses posted above, do we deem the whole Bible as being possibly edited, or can we trust it anyway???
While I would not recommend any other edition, there are still "normal editions" (i.e. historical and traditional editions which vary to a small degree) and "unauthorised revisions", which vary notably, these would include various modern printings which have changed to American spelling throughout, etc.

Quote:
Is there some code of ethics or standards given to the publication of the KJV or it is so uncopyrighted that it is a free for all for any publisher to alter it at will? Or ???
It is a "free market", so the controls must be imposed by Bible believers, who are able to judge and deem what is holy and what is not.

Quote:
I would venture to guess that the publisher would want to be as original as possible as to please the KJV customer...but...I admit I am in the land of new found ignorance here.
Not so. The tendency has been to purify the presentation and that publishers conform to what is considered the purest. For example, publishers recognised that the Oxford Edition of 1769 was superior, so they followed it.

Quote:
Does someone know about more of this in this past century? Links online? Can most KJV versions be trusted? Are the verses mentioned above just indications of what to look for, or are these the only obvious changes made in KJV versions or could there be many more? If many more, which ones should we avoid?
Most old KJB editions can be trusted. However, there is a progress of purification through time, where typographical errors from 1611 were corrected, where spelling has been standardised, etc. Anything outside the normal traditional stream should be avoided, which includes "modernised" or "newly edited" editions.

Quote:
I saw that the Cambridge Bible that I bought that is a Cambridge Large Print Text (only) that a company Trinitarian also makes/publishes one like this...is this the same edition??? Or is it older? Or?
Bibles printed by Cambridge have changed over time, just as other publishers' editions have. Cambridge and Oxford printed for the Trinitarian and British and Foreign Bible Societies. There are, at present, several different kinds of "Cambridge Edition". By editions, I do not mean "Large Print" or "goatskin leather", I mean, English textual forms. See www.bibleprotector.com/purecambridgeedition.htm

Lots of other information on my website. The material ranges in complexity, so for introduction, you could read:

http://www.bibleprotector.com/THE_FI...AMES_BIBLE.pdf
http://www.bibleprotector.com/God's_...ames_Bible.pdf

Last edited by bibleprotector; 09-04-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Doxa

Default Thanks

Dear PB1789 and bibleprotector,

Why thank you both so kindly for your replies. I really appreciate it.

I looked at all the links given, and thank you both very much.

I intend to spend some time looking at and comparing the KJV editions list provided by bibleprotector as well, via your website.
I believe that when I look at the list carefully, I see that much of it is just a matter of how certain words were spelled, which does not disturb me as much as those pertaining to the capitalization of Spirit or not or Son or not.
In that regard, it is probably the same story as those who print the red letter editions, what to make red or not. Even that disturbs me greatly when I look at some modern translations and how they omitted the red on some verses in Revelation! What a different slant that makes on Scripture!

By the way...The Cambridge Large Print Text Bible that I bought is all a black letter edition, and I must admit I look forward toward reading it as such to really see how it reads without red letter influence. This will be a new one on me for King James, which I am so excited about!

But even more, I am confident that the Lord Jesus gave me the KJV Bibles that HE wanted me to have, and I decided most definitely to trust them and God will use them to continue to reveal Truth to me. As I believe that God is the ONLY revealer of Truth. What I mean is that I believe that we can read the Bible until we are blue in the face, but it is only the Lord Who makes us understand it and reveals His Truth to us.

And I say that because of the evidence there of...people who know the Bible like the back of their hand, but are suicidal, wife beaters, or way out there in extreme doctrines, all getting their interpretation from the Bible. (Only God reveals Truth.)

Anyway, I am rambling. Anyway, I am basking in God's peace that HE continues to give me -- and by simply trusting what God has so clearly given me.

God bless you all, and thanks again for your kind replies.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Doxa

Default Dear Bible Protector

Greetings Bible Protector,
I just went through a lot of your long comparison list and checked many places with my new Cambridge Large Text Bible. While I did not check all of them, I could see after some checking that the spelling pretty much aligns with the pure Cambridge Bible that is the center column.
I do have one verse in question...this one...
Exodus 18:25 L, O, OE, CC enquire inquire enquire

I cannot find this word at all in this verse...????

Also, I did check the Spirit vs spirit, and Son versus son.
I found two places, I believe, that did not agree (Spirit/spirit), but after thinking about it, I am okay with the way it is in my Bible. Most of the Son versus son pertained to Son of David, and all of them were as should be.

After a long while of checking the spelling, I realized that I did not have to check all of the spelling variations so I stopped, as they were all good that I looked up.

I was so delighted.

Now as to the quality of this Bible. The text is truly as described in the reviews out there for it; a total joy and delight for reading ease. The Bible is nicely made. I did read one place about a little disappointment with the gold flaking off, and I had that too as I carefully opened up the pages, I found that a lot of the gold was flaking off. I was very careful, yet, I think sometimes you can tell when that will happen. The gold edges will look sparkly/glittery, probably the way the paper was cut and slanted not have the straight edge it requires to get the smoothness. Since I ordered it online I did not have a choice. But edges that shimmer like a mirror and look very smooth, probably have the best durable gold attachment.

Aside from that the Bible is a treasure. I would venture to say that in that entire list you have on your website, mine probably varies a couple of times or possibly slightly more (per what I did not look up), but all in all, I am absolutely delighted.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:20 PM

Smile

Hi Doxa,

I also have a KJV Cambridge References by University Press out of London..given to me in 1977,absolutely love it..its worn and pages slipping loose but its the one I use the most, I have started useing my other KJV...but still stick to the Cambridge..guess I need to get another
I posted a question over in Gen.Chit-Chat... Diligent,Steven Avery,BibleProtector told me what to look out for..steer away from..very good advice..you might want to check it out..it will give you different places to look. So glad you found one you are happy with.

Blessings,
Billie
Old 09-04-2008, 11:31 PM

Exodus 18:25 should be 18:15

See www.bibleprotector.com/editions.htm
Old 09-04-2008, 11:53 PM

Here is a quick comparison between the Concord Cambridge Edition and the Pure Cambridge Edition:

Reference — — Concord — — Pure Cambridge Edition
Genesis 24:57 — — enquire — — inquire (etc.)
Exodus 23:23 — — the Hivites — — and the Hivites
Numbers 6:5 — — razor — — rasor (etc.)
2 Samuel 18:29 — — Is the — — Is [italic] the
Ezra 2:26 — — Gaba — — Geba
Ezra 6:4 — — expenses — — expences (etc.)
Isaiah 9:6 — — Counsellor — — Counseller (etc.)
Jeremiah 32:5 — — prosper. — — prosper?
Ezekiel 47:3 — — ankles — — ancles (etc.)
Mark 2:1 — — Capernaum after — — Capernaum, after
Acts 11:12 — — Spirit — — spirit
Acts 11:28 — — Spirit — — spirit
Romans 4:18 — — nations, according — — nations; according
1 Corinthians 15:27 — — saith all — — saith, all
1 John 5:8 — — Spirit — — spirit
Old 09-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Doxa

Default Hi there!

Dear Billie and Bible Protector,

Greetings to you both!

Billie, I read the other topic you recommended...very good stuff! Thanks.
Also, I too am thankful for the Bibles that I have.

Oh, you know what...I have a question for anyone who might see this...what about those small notes at the end of some of the letters in the New Testament, such as Titus? These tiny notes tell us who wrote the letter...are these valid? Thus far, I have not seen any comments made on the forums about this issue. Also, I am sure Bible Protector, you know about that, yes?

Also, Bible Protector, thanks for the verse correction...I'll check that out.

Oh, and yesterday I was reading in John without the red letter and I was amazed how easily I could tell who was speaking, even without the quotation marks. Again, this font on this Bible is just so great for reading. I am so happy.

God bless you both!
Old 09-05-2008, 11:28 PM

Those subscriptions at the ends of epistles are not Scripture, and some variety exists in them even in King James Bibles. They come out of general Church tradition, and are not important for understanding the Scripture.

Also, red printing for the words of Christ was only invented in about 1901, and it also varies in certain editions. This again is something which might be a help to people, but is not really important for understanding the Scripture.

P.S. If you look at Psalm 56, you will find that you can praise God for His Word, and praise His Word.