Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaR View Post
First of all, God is immutable...He never changes.

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. (Hebrews 13:8)

For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed. (Malachi 3:6)

You need to look at the meaning of the word "swear" in context. There are two different meanings here.

Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God, and serve him, and shalt swear by his name. (Deuteronomy 6:13)

This verse, taken in context, means that one is to "fear God" (have reverential fear). Obedience is the key here.

But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: (Matthew 5:34)

This verse, taken in context, is speaking of taking oaths.

You can't pull verses out of context and say they mean the same thing. The Word of God will never contradict itself. Scripture interprets scripture.

As far as 2 Timothy 3:16-17 goes, "All Scripture" does mean the Old Testament....the New Testament was not complete at the time Paul wrote that epistle to Timothy. All the Scripture that they had was the Old Testament.
Good Post LindaR ! You've been doing your homework---
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 10-06-2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Please state which Bible doctrines are "different" and to which dispensations were they written?
well for example: i pointed out earlier. Atonement for sin is different today than in the Old Testament. The OT required Jews to do an animal sacrificed once a year for the atonement of sin. We nor do the Jews do this today. the Jews will say it is because they don't have the temple which is where the sacrifice is to take place.

Paul teaches Atonement today has taken place in the shedding of Jesus blood. up until the cross animal sacrifice after the cross Belief on Christ finished work.

tithing was required under jewish law three times a year if the jews did not give it it was to be taken by force by the priests.

Paul teaches that giving was to be cheerfully, each man was to purpose in his own heart what to give from his bounty (which by the way would be the money left over after your bills are paid) and to bring it on the first day of the week.

the OT has the jew resting on the Sabbath. Paul does not teach any Sabbath day observance.

there are more. You will have to be familiar with your Bible and to learn to rightly divide.

the diferences are in to whom they are applicable. which is what the form imposes.

While all the Bible is for us not all of it is directed at us for practice. we can learn lots from the old testiment. but we need to becareful on what we apply to ourselves.

Salvation required faith plus the observance of the Law. today salvation only requires you believe on Christ.

get the book ONe Book Rightly divided by doug Stoufer
Old 10-06-2008, 03:05 AM

Default To Reply or Not to reply-? That is the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd.usa View Post
<snipped for brevity>

Please explain what you are trying to say through this URL

http://www.vor.org/truth/1689/1689bc00.html

Well,,, the link works. Did you not point and click...?

The link is to the 2nd London Baptist Confession of Faith. The chapters are mentioned there by the topic. That is why I mentioned chapters 1 and 19 for you to read. They would help you understand the issues that you seem to keep repeating (like a needle stuck in a grove) on this Thread.

Rather than posting like you are in a Ping-pong match and the keyboards are the paddles... Try reading the information and "think-on-these-things".

It was you that posted the Thread QUESTION... If you post a question--- you will get answers. If you have an opinion and are trying to persuade people to your viewpoint of an issue/subject, then post it that way.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Levite-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd.usa View Post
What I'm trying to say, is that GOd is the same, but the testaments are different.

For example, in the OT, GOD promoted swearing

Deuteronomy 6:13
Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God, and serve him, and shalt swear by his name.

In the NT, GOd forbids swearing

Matthew 5:34
But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:

Yet, both in the NT and OT GOd is the same.
hi~

& to further clarify, keep mindful of this ~ that in the time of Moses, there exised two laws that were kept in the Tabernacle, one that does not change & one that was written in a book as a witness against the children of Israel because of their sin in worshipping a golden idol. the Law of God does not change, this is true but the ceremonial law written in a book which has become the testament of the Torah & the beginning of our Holy Bible - it is the ceremonial law that has ended & fulfilled by the Messiah's sacrifice. thus, everything now points solely to the LORD Jesus Christ & no one comes unto the Father in heaven except though Him.

by the LORD Jesus Christ, there is no one else & by the LORD God in heaven, there is none else, as these are one.

of a truth, the written ceremonial law of the OT is ended & is dead to actual practice, & these words can be proven by both the LORD & by the apostles' epistles & anyone seeking to start sacrificial offerings after the LORD Jesus Christ's testament shall be judged by the exact words of Him sent by the Father. but God's Law of the Commandments is still in full effect & it is by that Law that this earth shall be judged by at the last day.

~levite-7
Old 10-06-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simons View Post
All the old testament agrees with Paul's teaching. Dude what are you thinking.
What??? lol
Old 10-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
The Old Testament was not written TO the church, but it is still applicable FOR the Church. Please state which Bible doctrines are "different" and to which dispensations were they written?
Well, atonement sure comes to mind! I hope you are not applying OT doctrine of atonement to yourself!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:52 AM

I believe that none of the Bible is to be disregarded. All scripture is given by inspiration of God. No it's not all directly for us, but it is all proffitable for us. There are certain things, such as many of the commands in the law, that we aren't to keep. However, much of the Old Testament can still be applied to us, and certainly all of the New Testament.

Last edited by Josh; 10-06-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
Well, atonement sure comes to mind! I hope you are not applying OT doctrine of atonement to yourself!
The atonement was fulfilled on Calvary. The New Testament is the fulfillment of the Old Testament, but this doesn't mean we discard the Old Testament. I hope that's not what you guys are saying!
Old 10-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
The atonement was fulfilled on Calvary. The New Testament is the fulfillment of the Old Testament, but this doesn't mean we discard the Old Testament. I hope that's not what you guys are saying!
Who has suggested "discarding" the Old Testament? Your comments imply that someone has made that suggestion.

My point is that Adam, Noah, Moses, etc, all had a different set of rules they had to follow. While we don't "discard" the OT, we would be sinning if we were to abide by those rules. And if you recognize that we are not to abide by the same rules as Noah, for example, then it doesn't make sense to say that the OT "applies" to us today. Obviously most of it can't "apply" to someone whose sin has already been paid for, since the majority of the OT (with regard to atonement) is all about paying for it over and over again.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
"...but this doesn't mean we discard the Old Testament. I hope that's not what you guys are saying!"

Of course not. There are many Old Testament verses we can "apply" as New Testament believers. (Like in Proverbs for example.) As already clarified, for the believer, the doctrine of atonement is one of those specific instances where I disregard obedience and submission to the Old Testament and receive, believe, and teach the New Testament as absolute truth.

"For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins" (Hebrews 10:4).

"By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all" (Hebrews 10:10).

It is finished!