Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:09 PM

Default Questions from Atheists 4

READ FIRST: I will be posting some questions here that were brought up by an Atheist/Agnostic "Freethought Group." I don't belong to this group. Someone I know that is somewhat antagonistic towards Christians does. So, the "I" is NOT me. Perhaps people here can help in responding to these questions. I'll post them as "Questions from Atheists 1" "....2" etc.

Christians often say Jesus was sacrificed for the sins of mankind, or he died for our sins. This is not the case. He was not sacrificed, and he did not die, because (if we are to believe the bible) he came back to life and is still alive for eternity. That is not a sacrifice. Something is a sacrifice by virtue of the fact that it STAYS gone. At most, god loaned his son to us for 30 years or so, before he got him back. Also, if you offered me the same deal that Jesus got, I'd take it, too. I bet most people would. "So, you're telling me that I get tortured and then killed, and I go to hell for a day and a half, but then I get to come back to life and be an omnipotent, eternal god? Where do I sign up?"
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-28-2009, 08:26 PM

But Jesus was sacrificed. The Bible teaches that He is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. Not to mention that Jesus was crucified on Passover. That makes the idea for a sacrificial death all the more apparent. Also the fact that He laid down His life willingly (just like a sheep who goes to be slaughtered w/out a peep) is reminescent of a sacrifice. The Bible teaches it was a sacrifice. Just read the book of Hebrews. So why not let God define what Jesus did - i.e. sacrifice.

I hope you did not explain their argument correctly b/c there is a contradiction. To say "he [sic] did not die" but then say "he [sic] came back to life" implies He truly died. If this really is what they said, then you have to get them on all their inconsistencies to show them they are messing up left and right.

Also, a sacrifice is not one that "STAYS gone." It is one that dies for something else. A sacrifice is determined by death not a duration of time. Find a passage in the Bible that portrays a sacrice as that which is gone forever. What you will find is that a sacrifice is that which dies.

And their Christology is wrong as well. Jesus didn't become God at the resurrection. He was God from everlasting to everlasting.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:20 PM

Default Jesus's Death for our sins

It seems to me that the idea of Jesus paying the price for our sins that would require billions of eternities in hell in just the short time of his death on the cross is hard to understand because we can't comprehend how God is infinitely greater than us. We don't have any idea of how superficial we are compared to God. I take this biblical truth more by faith than by understanding.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:08 PM

Bill said;

Quote:

It seems to me that the idea of Jesus paying the price for our sins that would require billions of eternities in hell in just the short time of his death on the cross is hard to understand because we can't comprehend how God is infinitely greater than us. We don't have any idea of how superficial we are compared to God. I take this biblical truth more by faith than by understanding.
I once heard a sermon where a pastor said that if we die in our sins, we can never truly pay the penalty, we have to suffer forever. But Jesus so completely paid the penalty of our sins that he was raised to life. I agree with you, this is not something that our minds can grasp or comprehend.

Jassy, I personally would not spend much time with a person who asked questions like this. If you could answer this question, they will just ask you another, then another, then another...

Matt 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

I told the story awhile back of going soulwinning with my pastor many years ago. We knocked on a lady's door and introduced ourselves. My pastor asked the lady if he could show her out of the Bible how to have her sins forgiven and receive eternal life through Jesus. She invited us in.

My pastor started showing her the Romans Road I believe. But several times the lady said "I do not believe that". Suddenly, my pastor stood up and thanked the lady for having us in, and said we would be on our way. I was shocked, because he did not take her through all the scriptures. When we got to the car I asked him why he had stopped without finishing.

He said, "Did you hear what she said? She said she did not believe the Bible. And if you do not believe the Bible you cannot be saved".

I learned a valuable lesson that day. Do not waste time with people who do not believe the Bible. Look for those who do believe the Bible, but do not know the gospel.

Acts 13:50 But the Jews stirred up the devout and honourable women, and the chief men of the city, and raised persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them out of their coasts.
51 But they shook off the dust of their feet against them, and came unto Iconium.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
Christians often say Jesus was sacrificed for the sins of mankind, or he died for our sins. This is not the case. He was not sacrificed, and he did not die, because (if we are to believe the bible) he came back to life and is still alive for eternity.
That is not a sacrifice. Something is a sacrifice by virtue of the fact that it STAYS gone.
Well I can see the point they are trying to make, but they are missing the point of Calvary because of their ignorance of the scriptures. Let's be clear; the SACRIFICE we refer to was not that of losing a loved one in a car accident or to a sickness and then never seeing them again. The SACRIFICE of Jesus was a gift FOR US, a blood offering and a payment for sin TO GOD, which was demanded by God of every man.

Ephesians 5:2
And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

Hebrews 9:26
For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Hebrews 10:12
But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
At most, god loaned his son to us for 30 years or so, before he got him back. Also, if you offered me the same deal that Jesus got, I'd take it, too. I bet most people would. "So, you're telling me that I get tortured and then killed, and I go to hell for a day and a half, but then I get to come back to life and be an omnipotent, eternal god? Where do I sign up?"
Yes, well the problem is this poor, blinded atheist is NOT the sinless Lamb of God, he is NOT the only begotten Son of God, so he could never "sign up" in Jesus' place. We were sold under sin (Romans 7:14) and only one thing in existence could purchase us back. Please understand; this was a sacrifice that ONLY GOD HIMSELF could provide, with HIS OWN BLOOD...

"Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood." Acts 20:28

Jassy, the CONCEPTS they are mocking are impossible for them to see. Without the Gospel, they can't see it, hear it or imagine it. As natural men who reject God on a daily basis, they have been blinded by the god of this world. See below from I Cor. 2...

9 "But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God."

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Last edited by Bro. Parrish; 06-04-2009 at 06:30 PM.