Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:29 PM

Default What bible version to trust ?

I have studied and researched what bible version to trust for quite some time now. What I have discovered is nothing more that confusion on top of more confusion. No matter how much I search, or how close I think I am to the truth, there is always something present to contradict what is there. I had thought the 1611 king james bible would be the one, however, it contains the "Apocrypha" which is not considered to be devinely inspired, and even considered evil by some due to the referencing of being able to pay your way out of sin:

"Ecclesiasticus 3:30, Water will quench a flaming fire, and alms maketh atonement for sin.

Tobit 12:8-9, 17, It is better to give alms than to lay up gold; for alms doth deliver from death, and shall purge away all sin."

I dont believe the "Apocrypha" was ever in the original manuscripts, because the apocryphal books were never acknowledged as sacred scriptures by the Jews, custodians of the Hebrew scriptures (the apocrypha was written prior to the New Testament). In fact, the Jewish people rejected and destroyed the apocrypha after the overthow of Jerusalem in 70 A.D.

To make this as short as I can, somewhere, one king james version contains the truth. But the battle for which one is the question I feel we may never have the answer. The reason for this is, anytime you find data, history, or even professed experts on theology, there is always others of equal stature and/or historical value proving otherwise. It is even found in this forum by the disagreement on which version is the best. Time and evil has corrupted many things to include Gods Holy Word & my search for the truth will be everlasting until the end of my time.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 12-14-2008, 05:02 PM

Default More Study Needed

Quote:
illusionznc
I have studied and researched what bible version to trust for quite some time now. What I have discovered is nothing more that confusion on top of more confusion. No matter how much I search, or how close I think I am to the truth, there is always something present to contradict what is there. I had thought the 1611 king james bible would be the one, however, it contains the "Apocrypha" which is not considered to be devinely inspired, and even considered evil by some due to the referencing of being able to pay your way out of sin:

"Ecclesiasticus 3:30, Water will quench a flaming fire, and alms maketh atonement for sin.

Tobit 12:8-9, 17, It is better to give alms than to lay up gold; for alms doth deliver from death, and shall purge away all sin."

I dont believe the "Apocrypha" was ever in the original manuscripts, because the apocryphal books were never acknowledged as sacred scriptures by the Jews, custodians of the Hebrew scriptures (the apocrypha was written prior to the New Testament). In fact, the Jewish people rejected and destroyed the apocrypha after the overthow of Jerusalem in 70 A.D.
Hi ilusionznc,
The Apocrypha is not scriptures even to the 1611 Translators, but the Apocrypha was considered of much Christian worth for extra reading in those days, also the pressure being from a background of the Catholic past and mindset playing a roll there as well.
Quote:
To make this as short as I can, somewhere, one king james version contains the truth. But the battle for which one is the question I feel we may never have the answer. The reason for this is, anytime you find data, history, or even professed experts on theology, there is always others of equal stature and/or historical value proving otherwise. It is even found in this forum by the disagreement on which version is the best. Time and evil has corrupted many things to include Gods Holy Word & my search for the truth will be everlasting until the end of my time.
The definitive King James Bible is the God honouring, Pure Cambridge Edition.
Eventually all King James Bible folk will come aboard.
Once this move of unity happens, as it must, if God is to get the glory; Once this move of unity happens, much good will come, as the word goes out in the power of the Holy Ghost and the Christian is gladly being obedient to the call of God upon his or her life.
PeterAV
Every word of God is pure:
Old 12-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionznc View Post
I have studied and researched what bible version to trust for quite some time now. What I have discovered is nothing more that confusion on top of more confusion.
Well clearly, are studying in the wrong places, or perhaps you do not know God, because God is not the author of confusion. I figure with one post, you're either a troll (like several others who have popped up lately) or someone who honestly can be helped by this forum. Time will tell, I hope it's the latter...
Old 12-14-2008, 09:07 PM

I never once said God was the "author" of confusion, on the contrary, I believe satan is that culprit. I said what "I" have discovered was confusion on top of more confusion. I agree that maybe I am studying and researching in the wrong places, but you have to start somewhere in the search for the truth. I agree with PeterAV about the catholic mindset concerning the Apocrypha.

As for the response from "Bro. Parrish", I would be very careful in the choice of words you choose for people. You have no idea what my relationship to God is. And to even suggest I might not even know God is extremely judgmental on your part, and "For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again". And to refer to someone as even a possible "troll" is malicious and hateful. The Lord Jesus commanded us to love thy neighbor as thyself.

I have a relationship with God. And I pray to Him everyday! And you best believe He is with me every step of the way, even if I dont find the best translation of the bible. My trust is in the Lord. But, if that is the kind of responses I can expect in this forum, then it was a mistake to ever sign up here. My heart honestly hurts to know you could have even said such a thing, because it doesnt sound like something a christian should say.

Nevertheless, your forgiven. And to PeterAV, thank you very much, I will look into the pure cambridge edition, and I appreciate your heartfelt response. Had I not been sincere in seeking the truth, I would never have signed up here to begin with.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I had thought the 1611 king james bible would be the one, however, it contains the "Apocrypha" which is not considered to be devinely inspired
The version-text and translation of the Scripture in the King James Bible (1611) is right. The Apocrypha is not Scripture (it is in its own section in 1611, and not printed with the other books).

If you think the King James Bible is right (which it is), then you should be able to find satisfactory explanations and answers to objections against it from people on this forum and on this website.

Someone might say, "The 1611 had the apocrypha, or there are many word changes since 1611, or the language used is not every day speech." Every one of these things can be easily answered. Even things like, "But new Greek manuscripts were discovered after 1611, or modern science has been able to discover more about ancient writings", etc. can all be shown in the right light.

Quote:
somewhere, one king james version contains the truth
See PeterAV's answer in a post above.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:32 PM

First off, a person has to decide whether they want the truth, or whether they want their own way. God has given people what they wanted before (1 Kings 22:19-23), and if a person is not completely sincere in their desire to find the truth, they'll find exactly what they want to find.

One must also decide to trust God, and take Him at His word. He made more promises about His word than any other thing in the Book; it may sound like circular reasoning to believe the Bible because the Bible says that the Bible is right, but the element that changes the entire equation is faith. The people that don't believe that God preserved His words in one Book don't apply faith in God Himself and His ability to work through fallible man to accomplish what He promised.

When a person gets to the point where they seriously WANT the truth, and they BELIEVE God and what He said about His words, then the rest is easy. Spend some time on this forum, feel free to ask questions, and above all, search the Scriptures. Get e-Sword (or if you're Saved, get MacSword ) and use it to search the Book for yourself. There is nothing more powerful than the built-in definition and cross-reference system in the King James Bible; there is nothing like it in the world.

God bless, and I hope that you will accept help from people who have been where you are and have been utterly convinced, beyond all doubt, reasonable or not, that the King James Bible is God's perfect, pure, preserved and inerrant word, given by inspiration of God.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
FWIW, I have just bought the Old Scofield Bible,and really like it.
Others will also suggest a Ryrie,Dake,Thompson Chain. All good.
At one point i had to stop listening to everyone else's opinions and do it,luckily my new pastor ordered the Scofield. Believe me,i have been just as confused as you and as frustrated in finding a Bible. Everywhere i turned,there was always something wrong with my decision on a KJ Bible.
Being in a church that uses 2 or 3 versions causes confusion,been there done that. This year i struggled with other versions,opened my mind up to it,but, always knowing the KJ as my foundation,even when others bought into the new improved god. You don't feel secure or comfortable.
If the Preacher doesn't know where he stands,the congregation will never know,nor will they feel confident in there belief of God. The Apocrypha is not recognized as part of our Bible. 66 books,Thats it.
I hope you can overcome this confusion and may God help you through it.

Last edited by Jeremy; 12-14-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:00 PM

I absolutely agree, and I wholeheartedly agree the King James Bible as the sole authoritive doctrine. I trust in the Lord with all my heart and I am positive He will guide me to where I need to be. Satan is the master of confusion, but he has not confused me as to Gods word. Even without a bible at all anymore, the Holy Spirit still guides my heart.

What has confused me recently is, all the editions of King James bibles. I have not yet checked out this pure cambridge edition, but I do well plan to. I do however recognize the 1611 doctrine as pure with the exception of the Apocrypha which I prefer to stay away from for now. I had 2 bibles, one of which was a NIV & the other a NKJV. I burned them both because I believe them to be corrupt.

I hope that doesnt sound harsh, but its what my heart was telling me was right. Things had been changed, altered or completely removed in those editions and that overwhelming feeling inside me said this was wrong. I want a quality bible that will endure everyday reading, and I do want the absolute closest to the 1611 doctrine I can get, so long as it is still a king james bible. I do honestly want the truth & am not looking for what I want, but Gods will for me.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:06 PM

Default Seek and ye shall find!

illusionznc:---- { oops; you posted a reply while I was composing mine..}

PeterAV gave you a couple of good answers above. If you have a question about the AV-1611 and the Apocrypha, then click over to the Section titled "Doctrine"---> Thread titled-----> "The Apocrypha". Scroll down to post #6 by Traditional Anglican and read what he posted. It's a good response. There is interesting historical information found in 1&2 Maccabees---which takes place during the "400 Silent Years".

I have a Oxford AV in paperback by Oxford Pubs. [ISBN # 0192835254] It has the Apocrypha in it, and that is why I ordered it... just to able to consult it when a Roman Catholic poster on another website likes to challenge me about Scripture/History/Tradition/Theology. It was never part of the Hebrew Canon (Measuring Stick). It was not viewed by the Anglicans as Canonical, but historical. Much of this information can easily be read by you on this information super-highway called "The internet"--- Try Wikipedia.

If you truly don't know--- almost all of us on this website read from a 1769 A.V. rather than the 1611. There were spelling updates, and typeset things ( like ss and ff ) and the 1769 does not hold the Apocrypha. Therefore--- Break open the tried and true AV/KJV 1769 and start reading at Genesis 1:1 .

BTW--- Your statement that because the AV-1611 contained the Apocrypha and it mentioned giving alms...and since alms are an "R.C". idea--- that would keep you from a Bible translation...

...would be akin to you refusing medical care at the Hospital Emergency Room if you are bleeding/choking... because your Grandma/Grandpa died at that Hospital 10 years ago... due to cancer/TB/diabetes.

P.S. Just read your new post above after posting my first Draft/Post--- I thought you were a spy/trouble maker from an NIV/Modernist mindset. There have been a couple here in the last 2 weeks.

I would suggest that if there is a Thrift Store/Used Book Store/Book store with used books, or a "Friends of the Library" sale that you browse and pick up one and see how the font and size works for you... There is a nice Oxford leather one which (I think) was called the Long Primer reference edition? (maybe) It was puurrfect in the hands and the printing was readable. Shop around.

Last edited by PB1789; 12-14-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:15 PM

I write for any sincere seeker:

Quote:
Even without a bible at all anymore, the Holy Spirit still guides my heart.
A person doesn't need to be a prophet to tell you that the Holy Ghost would not want you to have no Bible.

The Word of God is true, whether it has leather binding or not.

The text and translation of 1611 was correct. That same text and translation has been retained throughout various editions of the King James Bible, and is accurately presented in the Pure Cambridge Edition. Even though there is changes in spelling and other such things, the "real Word" is right here right now, not locked back in 1611.

Quote:
What has confused me recently is, all the editions of King James bibles.
There is nothing confusing about it. It is clear that today we have the right text and translation the same as 1611, despite different editions over time. (There is an edition today which is being upheld as standard.)

"Thy word is very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it." (Psalm 119:140).