Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:12 AM
aussiemama

Default Devil (demon) possession and the Christian

I am wondering what you guys believe about demon possession and the Christian and why you believe it? Do you believe that Christians can be possessed of devils?

My husband and I believe that a Christians body can be possessed but not their soul or spirit.

Anyway, what is everyone else's take on this?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 11-03-2008, 11:18 AM

Scripture?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:45 AM
aussiemama

This article produces some of the verses for this, but I don't think it's all of them.

http://www.biblebelievers.com/morton_demon.html
Old 11-03-2008, 11:56 AM

There is a big difference in satanic influence or oppression of the believer, and possession.

1 Corinthians 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:57 AM

There is a big difference in satanic influence or oppression of the believer, and possession.

Quote:
1 Corinthians 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
Satan cannot possess what belongs to God.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemama
I am wondering what you guys believe about demon possession and the Christian and why you believe it? Do you believe that Christians can be possessed of devils?

My husband and I believe that a Christians body can be possessed but not their soul or spirit.

Anyway, what is everyone else's take on this?
Well, Mama, I think it's a matter of terminology. Yes, I believe that Christians can be possessed, period. Others say that we can be "oppressed" or "obsessed." But the choice of words is unimportant; I simply think that unclean spirits can indwell a Christian's body, and cause great misery.

Some Christians, including most Pentecostal/Charismatics, say that this is completely impossible, and they cite 1 John 4:4: Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. They say, "Well, if the Holy Spirit indwells your body, then it's impossible for an evil spirit to indwell it at the same time." But that's simply not true, and it's not what the verse in 1 John means. The verse is a simple statement that Jesus Christ is greater than Satan, and, in context, that the ultimate spiritual victory has been won (at Calvary). It has nothing to do with devils occupying a Christian's flesh.

I've been studying this matter for a long time, and the very best book ever written on the subject is Jessie Penn-Lewis' War on the Saints. It's an old book, and is usually only found (in "Christian" bookstores) in a heavily edited form; but, by the grace of God, the original, full text is available, free, online:

Penn-Lewis, in addition to being a woman (which gives some of the brethren hives), was an old-time Pentecostal; but, apart from her belief that the "baptism of the Spirit" can be repeated and re-repeated, her doctrine is straight as an arrow. Her book is a very detailed, uncompromising study of how a Christian can be affected by unclean spirits, and how these spirits can be fought. It's a "how to" guide for getting rid of unclean spirits, and I can't recommend it highly enough. Ruckman recommended it to me, and it's really been one of those very few books that are actual life-changers.

Please check it out, Mama. You and your husband would find it fascinating.

http://www.apostasynow.com/wots/Contents.html

However, anything written since about 1960 or so, especially the crap in the Christian bookstores, is utterly worthless, and full of false doctrine.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post

Satan cannot possess what belongs to God.
I agree, I think a wicked spirit and the Holy Ghost cannot be in the same person at the same time, I believe a Christian can, with certain sins leave himself open to influence of the demonic, and act in the flesh with this. I feel it is different than actually having a demonic "locus" in that individual.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Others say that we can be "oppressed" or "obsessed." But the choice of words is unimportant; I simply think that unclean spirits can indwell a Christian's body, and cause great misery.
VR, I must strongly disagree. "Oppression" is an exterior attack while "possession" is interior. "Obsession" is a different circumstance altogether. One who is obsessed is the creator of the focus, not the recipient, as in possession or oppression.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:13 PM
aussiemama

Great post VR, thanks!
Old 11-05-2008, 04:51 AM

there was a Charismatic church here just a few months back they had a guest speaker from the states. Upon entering the church the members were handed small paper bags. He came to their church and said that many of the members were demon posessed. he started casting themout in Jesus names. suddenly one man puked, then the one next to him. The next thing you knew the whole church was puking most made it into the bag.

did he ever here of phycosomatic manipulation of human senses? that sort of thing happens to children in kitnergarden and elementary school.

Paul never discussed any Christians were ever possessed. all demon possessed people of Pauls ministry were unsaved. We are told though to stay away from idols (Paul equated it to Idolatry) Idol house devils.

I even saw one floating in my bedroom (that is in another post). I guess a Christian could be possessed if he lets teh devil in. But even that would be iffy cause the Holy Ghost has something to say about whose body it is.