General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
I don't think either of these has anything to do with ouija boards. Even if fortune cookies do have such statements, I still don't believe it has anything to do with witchcraft. Magic 8 Balls are simply a water filled ball with a piece of plastic on the inside.

I suppose to each his own concience though.
Yeah, and Tarot cards are just paper with pictures...

For Jesus' sake,
Stephen
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-12-2009, 05:18 PM

If we're going to throw out fortune cookies and "magic" 8-balls, we had also better throw out meat offered to idols, don't you think?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:25 PM

All fortune telling or not aside.

In Hawaii we used to get this huge bucket of various types of Rice Cookies. While the "fortune" cookie is tasty, if done right and not stale, the Ginger Crisp one is far better. To each their own taste buds. After all folks around here like Grits... YUCK!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeByrd View Post
All fortune telling or not aside.

In Hawaii we used to get this huge bucket of various types of Rice Cookies. While the "fortune" cookie is tasty, if done right and not stale, the Ginger Crisp one is far better. To each their own taste buds. After all folks around here like Grits... YUCK!
I ate grits on a Hutterite colony one time and nearly threw up! The sad thing is is that I thought they looked good so I shovelled quite a bit onto my plate. Boy did I regret doing that. Never the less, I ate it all! Wouldn't want them to think I wasn't excited about sharing a free meal with them. lol

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 02-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Bro. Parrish

AHHH SO, sirry Amelikans not rike fortune cookie???
I have a SORUTION...

Bible Verse Fortune Cookies!
Each fortune cookie has an assorted preprinted Bible verse inside! These are a great way for children and adults to learn the Bible...perfect for Bible study groups, camps and retreats. Individually wrapped. (50 pcs. per unit)
http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/br...aq%3Df%26oq%3D
Old 02-13-2009, 07:32 AM

Curiously, after reading this thread and posting yesterday afternoon from the office, I met my girlfriend for dinner at one of our favorite Thai restaurants. Dinner was excellent, but at the end, lo and behold, the guy gave us fortune cookies. I pushed back the two he'd offered me, but my girlfriend expressed that she wanted to take them home, and since I'd refused them, he laid down two more

I lovingly told her that just today I had been reading about them, and related the Deuteronomy 18 passage. In typical worldy fashion she put them in her bag anyways. Later on when I was collecting the bags and coats for us to leave, I took the fortune cookies back out and placed them on the table, without saying a word, giving her a second chance to think about it, knowing she'd have the choice to take them again, after my comments had been voiced.

Sure enough, she saw them there, silently thought about it, then left them there.
I wish I could tell you all just how much the Lord has been working in her life lately. She used to refuse any sort of doctrine, advice, guidance or admonition if it had anything spiritual about it. But the Lord is slowly opening her eyes, and her heart.

I just thought I'd post this here, partly to praise and thank the Lord, even for the little things, and partly to encourage others to not neglect the small opportunities we have to please our Saviour.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainBibleBeliever514 View Post
Curiously, after reading this thread and posting yesterday afternoon from the office, I met my girlfriend for dinner at one of our favorite Thai restaurants. Dinner was excellent, but at the end, lo and behold, the guy gave us fortune cookies. I pushed back the two he'd offered me, but my girlfriend expressed that she wanted to take them home, and since I'd refused them, he laid down two more

I lovingly told her that just today I had been reading about them, and related the Deuteronomy 18 passage. In typical worldy fashion she put them in her bag anyways. Later on when I was collecting the bags and coats for us to leave, I took the fortune cookies back out and placed them on the table, without saying a word, giving her a second chance to think about it, knowing she'd have the choice to take them again, after my comments had been voiced.

Sure enough, she saw them there, silently thought about it, then left them there.
I wish I could tell you all just how much the Lord has been working in her life lately. She used to refuse any sort of doctrine, advice, guidance or admonition if it had anything spiritual about it. But the Lord is slowly opening her eyes, and her heart.

I just thought I'd post this here, partly to praise and thank the Lord, even for the little things, and partly to encourage others to not neglect the small opportunities we have to please our Saviour.
AMEN! It's good to hear that she can hear the voice of the Lord! God certainly speaks to those who are willing to listen, and especially to those that soak themselves in God's Word!

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 02-14-2009, 09:48 PM

People take these things too lightly. I am going to tell you an incredible true story. I know it is true because it happened to my family.

In 1989 I moved from Florida to New England. My oldest daughter, now 32, was 13 years old at the time. In Florida she had a best friend, I am not going to mention her name. She was a good girl and used to attend church with our family nearly every week. When we moved, my daughter kept in regular touch with her friend, calling nearly every week. My daughter's friend started hanging out with a different crowd of girls who liked to play with the Ouija board. My daughter's friend told my daughter that the board really moved, and that things around her were beginning to move. I of course told my daughter to tell her to stay away from these friends and the Ouija board and that it was no game.

At Christmas, my daughter's friend flew up to spend the holidays with us. She had lived in Georgia and Florida her entire life and had never seen a snowflake. We picked her up at the airport and it began to snow. We got 15 inches that night and she was thrilled, my kids and her played in the snow and got frozen. That was good.

But the girl kept talking about objects moving around her. And then my daughter came to me and said she thought objects around them were moving as well. This really got me upset, I got angry and told my daughter's friend never to mention it again, and warned her not to play with the Occult. She never mentioned it again. After New Year's she flew home.

After this strange things began to happen in our house. But they did not happen often, and you would tend to forget about them. For instance, we had made a bedroom for our oldest daughter in our basement. She loved it, it was the biggest bedroom in the house and she had privacy from my son, and especially my two youngest daughters who had been sharing her room. On several occasions she came up and complained to my wife that her younger sisters had been in her room and thrown things around. One time she had laid clean clothes out on her bed, came upstairs and showered, then went back down. When she came down her clean clothes were thrown on the floor. If you know teenage girls, that is a serious offence. She rushed up and started yelling at my two younger daughters. But my wife told her she knew for certain they had not been in the basement, she had been with them the whole time. We had a couple of incidents like that, but they were months apart, you don't put them together.

About 2 years later my daughter had her best friend from school stay over. She was a good girl who is a nurse today. I had bought my daughter a disco-type light ball that would shine pretty colors and lights in her room. My daughter had two beds in her room and her friend and her were lying on the beds with the lights out, looking at the light show and girl talking. Suddenly, the light slid violently across her large dresser and slammed into the mirror overturning. My daughter and her friend rushed up and told me. The were very excited and quite sincere. I questioned them and they both insisted the light had slid across the dresser all by itself. That was a little upsetting, but again, as time goes by, you just forget about it.

Then, one night maybe six months later, my older daughter shook me awake in bed with my wife. It was about 3 A.M.. She was very frightened and excited, and told me she was sleeping when a loud noise in her room awakened her. She sat up in bed and looked around the room. On this same dresser was a large crystal candle-holder. My daughter said the candle-holder was vibrating wildly, and this was what was making the noise. Suddenly, the candle-holder flew off the dresser right at my daughter! My daughter said it came right at her, and she thought it was going to hit her in the face. My daughter's bed was an old fashioned canopy bed without the curtains. The candle-holder hit the wood railing above her head, shot down on the floor and shattered to pieces. This is not the kind of glass that breaks easily. Also, the candle-holder travelled upward to hit the top of her canopy bed. My daughter rushed up the stairs and woke me up. I went down to her room and saw the broken glass on the floor. I asked my daughter several times if maybe she was just dreaming, then the candle-holder fell off the dresser and woke her. She said, "Dad, I swear I'm telling the truth. I was wide awake, the candle-holder was moving all by itself, then it flew right at me and I thought it was going to hit me! Dad, I was not dreaming, and I am telling the truth."

And I believed her, my daughter was a very good girl, saved when she was about 10 years old, a good student (Class President her Senior Year), and no troubles with boys, drinking, drugs, cigarettes or anything like that. My daughter slept on the couch upstairs after that for about 3 or 4 months. Finally, she got tired of being afraid of her own room and went back down, but she always left the lights on at night, and placed Bibles all around her room. This is no joke, I am telling you the truth.

But there's more, and things got worse.

A few months after that my wife was down in the basement where we had a laundry room. As she was folding laundry, she felt a hand on her back. She thought it was my son (about 13 at the time), as he was in the basement as well. She turned around, but my son was on the other side of the room. She asked if he touched her but he said he did not. Then about two days later my wife was down in my daughter's room when she felt someone tugging at her clothes. This frightened her badly and she rushed upstairs. She told me about it when I got home from work.

Then about two days later my oldest daughter was going down the basement stairs holding our newest daughter on her hip (about 1 1/2 years old). Suddenly she felt a hand trying to push her down the stairs. It was very awkard, as she was holding the baby and trying to resist being pushed down. There was a handrail she held onto. My daughter told me that the baby was also striking out at this invisible person.

Well, that was it, our family was in a real panic. My wife and children were looking to me to solve this problem. Quite frankly, this thing was scaring the death out of me, I could barely stand to go down in the basement myself. Our assistant Pastor lived the next street over, I went to his house and knocked on the door. I told him that he was going to think I was crazy, but there was some invisible person or demon in our house and could he please cover over and pray. And he knew I was sincere and came right over. He talked with us awhile. He said if this was happening, then it was happening with God's permission. That really upset me and I told him so. Why would God want something like this in a Christian home? But anyway, he did pray with all of us, and we did not have another incident after that.

About a year later we moved out of that house and have never had another incident. But I have to tell you, I worried that thing would follow us.

So, that is my story. You can laugh and make fun or whatever, I don't care, I was there, this really happened and I will never change my story.

I don't know, but I actually think this "invisible person" as we called it came on the airplane with my daughter's friend and then stayed in our house. We all came to believe that this thing was female, don't know why, but we all got that impression. This was a terrible experience, it is not something you ever want to deal with. We just wanted that thing gone.

Don't play with these things, it is not a joke.

Last edited by Winman; 02-14-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:14 AM

Well I believe you. You do not know the things I have seen from floating heads giant bats, 12 foot shadowy being as black as night and smoking trees all here in the mission field. how much more in the States?

The floating head was in my house. I sat up and tole it, "my Lord rebuke thee. Leave my house and never return". it never came back that I know of
Old 02-16-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
Well I believe you. You do not know the things I have seen from floating heads giant bats, 12 foot shadowy being as black as night and smoking trees all here in the mission field. how much more in the States?

The floating head was in my house. I sat up and tole it, "my Lord rebuke thee. Leave my house and never return". it never came back that I know of
Yep, it's no joke with me either. This is going to sound nutty, but I can tell immediately if an evil spirit/devil enters within the house. Usually I am a bit suprised because it doesn't happen very often, and there seems to be no pattern to their coming (though there is always one lingering around idols. No joke). The first thing I notice is that something malevolent is very near. It's unmistakable for me. Then I will often times begin to notice movement out of the corner of my eye. Usually it doesn't get this far since I've learned that if I pray and rebuke it, it goes away. I've never had one that remained after prayer and a verbal "the Lord Jesus Christ rebukes you".

So I guess the moral of the story is, don't goof around with the occult, and trust in the Lord to fight these fights for you if you do encounter such a devil.

For Jesus' sake,
Stephen