Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:38 PM
KingJamesReader

Question Did Jesus go to hell for us ?

I was reading in my bible last night and I read something that kind of left me
confused. In the book of Acts 2:27 - Acts 2:31 - Psalms 16:10 - Psalms 49:15- Hos. 13:14 - 1 Corinthians 15:54 .Did Jesus Christ go to hell for us ? I know that Jesus suffered a great deal for us and he layed down his life for us but I would love to know if any of you understand this part.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 10-27-2008, 04:14 PM

Ephesians 4:8-10 (KJV) Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) (Notice here that Hell is described as being the lower parts of the earth? I've always found this fascinating. http://www.av1611.org/hell_proof.html)

Scripture does not support any notion of Christ going to the Lake of Fire (which most people think is Hell). I do not think anyone is in the Lake of Fire yet. Hell is a place made for the angels that rebelled against God.

2 Peter 2:4 (KJV) For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

Also there are men there too:

Isaiah 14:9 (KJV) Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations.

Revelation 20:13 (KJV) And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

There is also fire in Hell:

James 3:6 (KJV) And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

Matthew 5:22 (KJV) But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Christ was in Hell, but was not left in Hell, nor did He see corruption:

Acts 2:27 (KJV) Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Acts 2:31 (KJV) He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

Christ was on a mission when in Hell:

1 Peter 3:19 (KJV) By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

And about these spirits:

Luke 16:19-31 (KJV) There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

I found a good article here http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/j...n-hell-faq.htm which talks about this. I do not know all the beliefs of those that run this site, so I cannot vouche for those that run this site. This article, however, is pretty decent.

I'm sure there is more to be discussed about this subject. I hope this clarifies things for you.

Much Love in Christ Jesus,
Stephen
Old 10-27-2008, 10:42 PM
KingJamesReader

Thank you for answering that question for me and sending me so much information on this subject. I thought Iwas right about it but I was still confused. I knew that if Jesus did suffer hell also for us as part of what all he did for us that he didn't remain there.
I just wasn't sure if I was taking that message right or not. Thank you for your help.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:45 AM

Default "spirits in prison" - men or angels?

Another article I read concerning the issue of Christ going down to Hell was by David Reagan:

http://www.learnthebible.org/did_christ_go_to_hell.htm

I also got across Bullinger's appendixes to his Companion Bible where he says "spirits" are never used of men in the departed state. (see http://www.companion-bible.com/CBPdffiles/ )

I haven't figured out every detail on this issue yet, and looking forward to more discussions here.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:48 AM

No, Christ did not go to Hell. When the one theif believed on Him, He said "to day shalt thou be with me in paradise." So by this we know that that very same day Christ was in Paradise. Now, the bible does say that He preached unto those in prison. I'm not sure if this means the souls in Hell or not, but even if it does that doesn't mean He went to Hell. Since Hell and Paradise are both in the same place, sepparated by a great gulf, He didn't have to be in Hell to preach to them.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
No, Christ did not go to Hell. When the one theif believed on Him, He said "to day shalt thou be with me in paradise." So by this we know that that very same day Christ was in Paradise. Now, the bible does say that He preached unto those in prison. I'm not sure if this means the souls in Hell or not, but even if it does that doesn't mean He went to Hell. Since Hell and Paradise are both in the same place, sepparated by a great gulf, He didn't have to be in Hell to preach to them.
That's right. I don't believe Christ endured suffereing during those three days. I believe He was claiming His victory over death and preaching to the spirits in bondage.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 10-29-2008, 12:08 PM

I believe that in order to make atonement, he took ALL the sins of mankind upon His Holy person, as such, it brought about the full consequenses, in this case going into the depths for us. As someone stated in anther post he could not be held there! He rose from there back to Heaven, to sit at the Father's side. This makes us see how sinful sin truly is....and how hight the cost was for the Blessed Saviour to obtain it. It in reflection should only deepen our love for Him. Grace and Peace.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:17 AM

though Christ took our sins onthe cross and died there for us in our place and his shed blood provided forgiveness of sins and atonement for them as well.

he did not go to hell and suffer there for us. he is a holy person a holy person cannot go to Gehenna or the lake of fire.

He was made sin on the cross for us however he was not made it so much that he had to be sent to torment for us. he did visit there and the paradise this is the hell most refer too.

Kenneth Hagan and Copeland both teach Christ was dragged to hell by Satan and tortured him but in the midst it was stopped because Satan brought a sinless man into hell to torture so he was rescued by God and resurrected. this is nothing more than a fantasy of deranged and devilish minds.

Satan is nowhere near hell the lake of fire or the torments compartment that lays along side the empty paradise. while the waiting places for the dead are refered to as hell. Only the PIT and the Lake of fire are for the Satan (the Devil) and his angels (the devils).
Old 11-03-2008, 12:00 AM
RND

I agree. Christ did not enter into the nether world to preach to all those long lost souls that departed earth prior to His arrival.

However Josh you mentioned that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
When the one thief believed on Him, He said "to day shalt thou be with me in paradise." So by this we know that that very same day Christ was in Paradise.
Where is paradise and if Christ went there what was the purpose of His ascension later? Also, Christ tells Mary Magdalene after the discovery that the stone was rolled away from the tomb, "Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father." If Christ had not yet ascended to the Father where is paradise?
Old 11-03-2008, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJamesReader View Post
I was reading in my bible last night and I read something that kind of left me
confused. In the book of Acts 2:27 - Acts 2:31 - Psalms 16:10 - Psalms 49:15- Hos. 13:14 - 1 Corinthians 15:54 .Did Jesus Christ go to hell for us ? I know that Jesus suffered a great deal for us and he layed down his life for us but I would love to know if any of you understand this part.
Hi KJR, I for one DO believe that our Lord Jesus Christ went to the very fires of hell, for the following reasons:

1. His soul was a burnt offering for sin in hell.
2. He purged our sins in hell.

Hell in the Bible is the place of torment in the centre of earth where the damned go, there there is fire, pain, and suffering. Abraham's bosom (where the souls of the OT saints rested while waiting for Christ) is also in the heart of the earth but it is never called "hell", hell and Ab's bosom are two different places separated by a great gulf or space.

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']The writer of Acts confirms that the soul of Christ went to "hell", but was not left there, both in Acts 2:27 & Acts 2:31.[/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Here is the key to understanding this stuff:[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']The Passover lamb in Exodus was a type of the coming sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ. He was the one, true, Passover Lamb. [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']1 Corinthians 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']There is a full description of the Passover in Exodus 12:1-10. From this passage we learn the following about the passover lamb:

Christ being our true Passover lamb must have been anointed on the tenth day of the month. On the 14th day he was killed...
- by the whole assembly (Matthew 27:25)
- in the evening (Matthew 27:45)
- He was given no water (Matthew 27:34; John 19:28)
- He was roast with fire (Isaiah 53:10a)

Isaiah 53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']
Ephesians 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']
Christ’s soul, in the heart of the earth, was made an "offering for sin".

Here is the mention of the offering and sacrifice. As the Lamb of God he was both and is pictured so in the Old Testament (Exodus 29:41; Hebrews 13:11-12). Christ sanctified us with his blood and also suffered like the body of the lamb by being burned.

Hebrews 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Isaiah 6:6 Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar: 7 And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged.

[/FONT]