Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foley View Post
The word easter(acts 12:4) in the king james version is a blatantly erroneous mistranslation that has been "correctly" corrected in virtually every other modern bible translation. The original greek word is "pascha" which is translated everwhere else in the king james bible as passover (so why the inconsistency in acts12:4?) which is what it means.
"I must here stop my reader, and tell him that this Dr. Kilby was a man of so great learning and wisdom, and so excellent a critic in the Hebrew tongue, that he was made professor of it in this University; and was also so perfect a Grecians that he was by King James appointed to be one of the translators of the Bible; and that this Doctor and Mr. Sanderson had frequent, discourses, and loved as father and son. The Doctor was to ride a journey into Derbyshire, and took Mr. Sanderson to bear him company; and they, resting on a Sunday with the Doctor's friend, and going together to that parish church where they then were, found the young preacher to have no more discretion, than to waste a great part of the hour allotted for his sermon m exceptions against the late translation of several words, (not expecting such a hearer as Dr. Kilby,) and shewed three reasons why a particular word should have been otherwise translated. When evening prayer was ended, the preacher was invited to the Doctor's friend's house, where, after some other conference, the Doctor told him, he might have preached more useful doctrine, and not have filled his auditors' ears with needless exceptions against the late translation; and for that word for which he offered to that poor congregation three reasons why it ought to have, been translated as he said, he and others had considered all them, and found thirteen more considerable reasons why it was translated as now printed; and told him, 'If his friend,' (then attending him,) 'should prove guilty of such indiscretion, he should forfeit his favor.' To which Mr. Sanderson said, 'He hoped he should not.' And the preacher was so ingenuous as to say, He would not justify himself.' And so I return to Oxford." (The Translators Revived by Alexander McClure from http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/transtoc.htm)

Last edited by Biblestudent; 03-03-2008 at 03:39 AM. Reason: underscore
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-03-2008, 08:01 AM
jerry

Folly, do you mind not swearing on these boards. Funny how you think the work of 47 scholars was flawed, but you yet somehow can do a much better work all by yourself. Looking up a word in Strong's is not translating, it is defining. You still have not dealt with verb tenses and sentence construction and grammar.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foley View Post
These are examples just to let you know about how i am approaching my work.
I think we've all had enough of this. If you were carrying some form of rational dialog here it wouldn't be such a problem, but there have to be limits. The obnoxious meter is pegged, so that's that. See ya. You need to repent of your attitude against God's words. If you do, let me know, and I'll restore your posting privileges.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:19 AM
ploughboy

Thumbs up I second that motion

I second that motion.
Ploughboy
Old 03-04-2008, 07:41 AM
cookie5151

Your very right all bibles cover to cover are in error and YAHWEH is not a ELOHIM of error
YAHWEH's Scripture (OT) and the Words of YAHUSHUA are there , and are protected.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:38 AM
jerry

What you said does not even make sense!

Quote:
YAHWEH is not a ELOHIM of error
??? How about English - as that IS what we are speaking here.

My Saviour's name in English is Jesus, the OT equivalent is Joshua (and Yahweh isn't even in the Bible).
Old 03-04-2008, 11:00 PM

Yes, Jerry, I second that motion.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:57 PM
LIVNBYFAITH

Default Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
I think we've all had enough of this. If you were carrying some form of rational dialog here it wouldn't be such a problem, but there have to be limits. The obnoxious meter is pegged, so that's that. See ya. You need to repent of your attitude against God's words. If you do, let me know, and I'll restore your posting privileges.
Thank you Bro. Brandon. I appriciate your efforts on this web site. you have a GREAT site, and God's word should not be slandered as this individual did. Thank you and keep up the good work, for some of us are truly learning from others on this site.

Your Bro. in Christ Steve
Old 03-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Pastor Mikie

Why use the name "Yahweh"? I don't find it in the Bible anywhere. I've always wondered if teachers/preachers who say, "the original something or other says this that and the other" if there comes a sense of power, authority or usefulness because they otherwise feel insecure, unsure or lacking in confidence.

When I was a child, my siblings and friends often did this chant, "I know something you don't know". I think this gave them a sense of power over me. I wonder, also, if this might be a reason for this kind of teaching I call "Bible correcting"?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:05 PM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Mikie View Post
Why use the name "Yahweh"? I don't find it in the Bible anywhere. I've always wondered if teachers/preachers who say, "the original something or other says this that and the other" if there comes a sense of power, authority or usefulness because they otherwise feel insecure, unsure or lacking in confidence.

When I was a child, my siblings and friends often did this chant, "I know something you don't know". I think this gave them a sense of power over me. I wonder, also, if this might be a reason for this kind of teaching I call "Bible correcting"?

Mike, I agree with you completely.
I also get the same sense that when "scholars" of the Bible claim that the Bible is our final authority, but you can't understand it if you don't know Hebrew and Greek. They tell you to go to college, learn these languages, and study the original documents.....which we don't have.
Truly, this is a very humanist (the secular, latter version) argument and instead of these people making the Word of God the final authority, the final authority is the scholars who know the original languages. They set themselves up as rulers over all Bible-believers.