Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:43 AM

Default How to read the Bible for all its worth

Anyone read the book "How to read the Bible for all its worth" by Gordon D.Fee and Douglas Stuart?

I have been reading it for college and I am not past chapter 2 with their promotion of the TNIV and telling the reader of the KJV has flawed text and to use mordern translations.

Whats your thoughts?

Peter
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 08-22-2008, 12:00 PM

Anything that promotes the modern versions and tries to discredit the KJV is not worth reading in my opinion. You could use it to light a fire ? I wouldn't know what advice to give you if its to be read for college. I assume we are talking bible college here?
When you say the TNIV I take it you mean the teen new international version?
What came first, the Horse or the cart?

Edit~ I see that you probably mean the Todays New International Version, which to my knowledge is a gender inclusive translation which in itself tells me to stay clear. Just another example of scripture re-interpreted to suit their own desires and to appeal to the masses rather than staying true to the Word Of God. Consider the following example

Philippians 2:5-8, KJV
5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men
8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
Notice the Deity and Gender issues with the TNIV

Philippians 2:5-8, TNIV
5 In your relationships with one another, have the same attitude of mind Christ Jesus had:
6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a human being, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death—even death on a cross!

In my opinion The TNIV is a Bible to appease the Feminists

In My Saviour's name, The LORD Jesus Christ.

Last edited by peopleoftheway; 08-22-2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 08-22-2008, 03:45 PM

Smile

Hi, Peter

Anytime something like your problem comes up, I try to be as informed as possible , and the Holy Spirit will lead you directly to those who will help. There are quite a few excellent men and women who are wise and searched out these things, here, on this forum; Diligent(Brandon); Will Kinney;Steven
Avery; George;Renee, are just such a few.

Will Kinney has an excellent site that has articles with all the information
you can read through and study; www.geocities.com/brandplucked/
and you'll find he posted a link with an excellent article on this bible.

I posted a question about KJV Bibles over in General Chit Chat, and Steven Avery posted #8 --06/13/08 some great information concerning different
Bible versions ..what to look for...what to STAY AWAY from.. this really helped me. They've been through it over the years, and we get to reap their hard searching out the 'TRUTHS'. Altho, I have a feeling they LOVE IT!

So, if this is a college assignment, and you HAVE to read it... better to get all the facts...keep your KJV handy..

II Timothy 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God,a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of truth.

Blessings,
Billie
Old 08-22-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J Gordon View Post
Anyone read the book "How to read the Bible for all its worth" by Gordon D.Fee and Douglas Stuart?

I have been reading it for college and I am not past chapter 2 with their promotion of the TNIV and telling the reader of the KJV has flawed text and to use mordern translations.

Whats your thoughts?

Peter
Aloha brother Peter,

"Billie" has given you some excellent advise. And I don't normally do this, but since you asked (and are half-way around the world from us - SCOTLAND!) I would ask you to check out my web site at: http://www.thywordistruthkjv.com > under the King James Bible Section you will find an outline of the Bible "Issue"; Essays on "Inspiration"; Lessons on "Which Bible"; A recommended "Book List" on the subject; etc.

In addition I list several other excellent King James Bible cites that have lots of information on this "controversial" issue.

The King James Bible Page - Brandon Staggs (Author & Developer - SwordSearcher)

King James Bible Believers - Kevin & Sandra Rae - Ayrshire, Scotland

Another King James Bible Believer - Will Kinney

PreservedWords - Timothy S. Morton

Authorized Version Publications - G. A. Riplinger

Bible Baptist Bookstore
- Peter S. Ruckman

P.S. I've got about 20% Scotsman {"Albannach"?} blood flowing in my veins.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:04 AM

Hello this is Peter's wife Debbie posting under his name!

The responses to this question have been good and some of the links suggested are ones we've used before but some are definitely new so we'll check them out too.

I guess the debate over versions is one thats been a bit of a hot potatoe in recent years with ever more liberal versions being produced. Really thats what this is all about... liberalism. The new versions allow more scope for people to argue against fundamental biblical truths because they have twisted the Word to suit society rather then sticking to those everlasting truths which, like our God, are unchanging.

I'm surprised at this book that Peter is reading though because the authors arguments against the KJV are probably some of the weakest I've ever seen and his attempts to discredit it are, at best, juvenile.

I'm not quite sure why the college suggested this book for reading prior to starting. The church it's attached to uses the ESV (another debate maybe!!) but I didn't think they'd be liberal enough to suggest a book that promotes the TNIV of all alternatives. Perhaps beyond chapter 2 there is something to be learned from this mans writing but it's a struggle to keep reading when you disagree so strongly with what he's saying so far.

I've used other versions as a form of reference in the past but always use my KJV for study and I've learned more and found the Bible much more living in the KJV form than in any other. My kids use it to read and study and don't seem to have any great difficulty with it - if there's a word or phrase they don't understand we simply explain it.

Anyway.... just my 2c worth. I'll be interested to read further discussion on this topic.

God bless

Debbie
Old 08-23-2008, 08:58 AM

Hi Debbie, Just wanted to share something regarding your Kids reading the KJV.
AMEN SISTER! I left a liberal worldly Church when I had my eyes opened to the Bible version issue, My niece was attending the Sunday school, and I have always had a KJV that I was given from my Grandfather. I also got her a KJV and during Sunday school they had to memorize and recite verses they had learned over the past week. Do you know that in all the Sunday school My little 8 year Old niece was the only one reading from the KJV. She wondered why everyones bibles sounded different and why hers was the only one that sounded like the Bible. Like your Children she can grasp the KJV and more difficult phrasing like you say can easily be explained. All the different versions only cause confusion, I always noticed in that Church that when scripture was read out people would look up, look around and then look down TOO many versions TOO many fancy new Ideas TOO many new heresies. Most of the heresy, if not all these days stems from twisted scripture in modern translation regarding, blood, deity, salvation, etc. Well enough rambling...I just wanted to say God Bless for teaching your Children with the KJV, never compromise that.

In My Saviour's name, The LORD Jesus Christ.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:54 PM

Default How to read the Bible for all its worth

Hi Debbie and Peter
How's it going? Peter, how are the studies...and were you able to
check out the links that some of us posted?
Sure hope it helped, Debbie said some were new..but they are good,
solid essays..that you both can refer too in other areas of study.

God bless to you and family,

Billie
Old 10-17-2008, 12:38 PM

Debbie and Peter,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll like it here my friends.

Atlas