Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 AM

Remember that the 1611 Edition has "variations" too, because of its typographical errors, unstandard English spelling, etc.

Of course, just because differences may be spotted does not mean that the Word of God is lost, or that there is no "real KJB". There is one King James Bible that can be seen throughout the editions from 1611 to 1769, and many editions beyond. The point is that due to editorial diligence, improvements in printing technology and so on, we have a purified and correct presentation. I believe that this has been watched over by God through time.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 08-08-2008, 11:15 AM

Hi Folks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector View Post
Remember that the 1611 Edition has "variations" too, because of its typographical errors, unstandard English spelling, etc.
Apparently there were two (original) 1611 editions, since it was a bit of a work-in-process, and there can be differences in the two printings. Daniel Wallace, in all his confusion about the early 1611 (thinking it had 'strain at a gnat') had in another place mentioned seeing the earlier printing. The quote is on the gnat thread. Maybe you can indicate if that differentiation (2 slightly different 1611s) makes sense to your understanding. My conjecture would be that the one online, and most reprints, is the latter of the two.

Shalom,
Steven
Old 08-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Mighty Angel

Default Online Version

The online version site gives the following information:

The Holy Bible, conteyning the Old Testament, and the New. Imprinted at London : By Robert Barker ..., 1611. In Annenberg Rare Book and Manuscript Library. BS185 1611 .L65.

King James Bible (editio princeps, 1611)

Editio princeps means First printed edition

Joe
Old 08-08-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Apparently there were two (original) 1611 editions
There are two editions from 1611, known by the tiny differences throughout, usually, Ruth 3:15, "he went" (first edition of 1611), "she went" (second edition of 1611). This is an example of a printer correcting a typographical error made the first time (very likely in reference to the handwritten master).

The "strain out a gnat" reading is only found in the Bodleian MS, which is a copy of the Bishops' Bible which has some annotations on it, quite possibly to be containing some draftings of the KJB by the translators. There is no annotation at Matthew 23:24 according to Norton (A Textual History, page 330).

The editions from 1611, and all following editions, except for a few modernised ones like Scrivener's of 1873, read "at a gnat".

The usual view is that the online 1611 edition, the electronic text copy used in SwordSearcher, the book reprinted in 1833, 1911 and presently by Thomas Nelson is the first 1611 edition.

The second 1611 edition is not reprinted or used as a basis for online presentations.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Mighty Angel

Thank you Bibleprotector.

This version does say:" and he went into the citie."

http://dewey.library.upenn.edu/sceti...gePosition=367
Old 08-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Mighty Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector View Post

Of course, just because differences may be spotted does not mean that the Word of God is lost, or that there is no "real KJB". There is one King James Bible that can be seen throughout the editions from 1611 to 1769, and many editions beyond. The point is that due to editorial diligence, improvements in printing technology and so on, we have a purified and correct presentation. I believe that this has been watched over by God through time.
I am really enjoying reading through the original 1611 first edition. I know that spelling was not standardized at the time of the first printing but to me this is not a problem in reading it. The Gothic printing is a bit challenging but through reading one can get used to it. It is interesting to note that there were "j"s being used in places like in chapter numbers but not in the same way as we use them today.

Joe
Old 08-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Mighty Angel

Default Hosea 6:5

I was just checking out Hosea 6:5 and do see the printing error there.

http://dewey.library.upenn.edu/sceti...gePosition=960

Hosea 6:5 Therefore haue I shewed them by the Prophets: I haue slaine them by the wordes of my mouth, and thy iudgements are as the light that goeth foorth.

I read a while back that someone thought this was intentional by the AV translators. Having looked at a large number of the marginal notes commenting on the underlying Hebrew of the text, I am convinced that the AV translators had an excellent knowledge of Hebrew and thus I believe that this was nothing more than a printing error since the underlying Hebrew word חָצַבְתִּי chatsavti can only have something to do with "hewing" , chopping, cutting, carving. etc. and has nothing to do with "shew/show".

Joe
Old 08-18-2008, 02:04 PM

Have you ever tried to send an email or make a post when you are really really tired? Muddled words and wrong keystrokes, I cannot imagine how the translators got the task of laying out each individual letter by hand on a template for printing, no wait I correct that I can imagine, they had the Holy Spirit of God But even at that it must have been a very arduous task and very very slow. Well at least they were not textual alterations but mere spelling and print errors.

In My Saviour's name, The LORD Jesus Christ.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Mighty Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleoftheway View Post
Have you ever tried to send an email or make a post when you are really really tired? Muddled words and wrong keystrokes, I cannot imagine how the translators got the task of laying out each individual letter by hand on a template for printing, no wait I correct that I can imagine, they had the Holy Spirit of God But even at that it must have been a very arduous task and very very slow. Well at least they were not textual alterations but mere spelling and print errors.

In My Saviour's name, The LORD Jesus Christ.
Amen. Yes indeed. I think that they did a remarkable job!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Mighty Angel

Default El-elohe-Israel

I am still reading and the marginal references to the Hebrew are really nice:

Genesis 33:20 And he erected there an altar, and called it El-elohe-Israel.

Marginal Note: That is, God, the God of Israel.

http://dewey.library.upenn.edu/sceti...gePosition=113

אֵל אֱלהֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל
El-elohe-Israel
God, the God of Israel
Genesis 33:20