Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by browilder61 View Post
Excerpts from William Lyon Phelps' book "Human Nature in the Bible, copyright 1922, he was a professor at Yale:

1. "Priests, atheists, sceptics, devotees, agnostics, and evangelists are generally agreed that the Authorised Version of the English Bible is the best example of English literature that the world has ever seen. It combines the noblest elevations of thought, aspiration, imagination, passion and religion with simplicity of diction."
One other thing I have noticed aver the years, it seems to lend itself to MEMORIZATION better than the other versions as well. It's peculiar and hard to explain but it's true.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 12-13-2008, 01:38 PM
TimV

Quote:
How do we know that there are reliable translators in the present day who can make a KJV equivalent available in foreign languages to others?
None are equivalent, but some translations are better than others, i.e. Reformation ones into German, Dutch, French or Italian. I would rather support the teaching of people English and then have them use the KJB.

Have you heard the old English Protestant Rhyme?

Is God not English? For Wycliffe begat Hus, who begat Luther, who begat the Truth.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:56 PM

Well, with the exception of Traditional Anglican (and yourself), we're not protestant.

Baptists aren't protestants, regardless of what this pro-Catholic world wants everyone to think.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:35 PM
TimV

Does it bother you that King James instructed the four English delegates to the Synod of Dordt to vote with the majority? That all the translators of the KJV were Calvinists like me? That there were no Baptists invited to take part in the translation, and indeed couldn't even teach in the churches of the time?

Have you even thought about these things?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Bro. Parrish

Does it bother you that you got banned?
Old 12-14-2008, 07:58 AM

Baptists, even in pre-Revolution America, were always looked down on and persecuted. Their lack of involvement in the King James Translation Committee is irrelevant; they also had little part in the Great Awakenings, and little enough to do with the missionary outreach of the 1800s, at least at first. Most great missionaries started out as Presbyterians, Congregationalists (Anglicans), Methodists or even Lutherans. Carey was a Baptist, and Judson later became one as well, but overall the great missionaries (and evangelists!) weren't technically "Baptists." SO??

Truth is TRUTH, regardless of whether it's just Jesus and His 12 disciples, or Luther and a few trusted friends, or John Clarke at Rhode Island (he started the Baptist church in America, not Roger Williams). The truth is ALWAYS in the minority, at least when it comes to Biblical truth. That's why, of all the denominations, the Baptist church is likely one of the smallest, and among the Baptists, true Bible Believers are the smallest group.

You're ignorant of life, in general, and truth, specifically.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:18 PM

Default Synod of Dort

Hi Folks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV
Does it bother you that King James instructed the four English delegates to the Synod of Dordt to vote with the majority?
While TimV is no longer on forum, this reference had a spot of interest.

From the point of view of the King James Bible, the very significant document at the Synod of Dort was the excellent summary of the translation. And that the English delegation included Samuel Ward, moderate Puritan, one of the translators.

http://bible.zoxt.net/pol/_336.htm (Latin)
http://bible.zoxt.net/pol/_338.htm (English)
Report on the Making of the Version of 1611 Presented to the Synod of Dort

The "majority" issue refers to instructions that the English delegation was instructed to first confer and come to a position, and then vote as a unit. A bit like most states in the Electoral College, except there is not a question of "natural-born citizen" with which to be concerned.

A brief but neat history is available at:

http://spindleworks.com/library/brj/...99_english.htm
The English Delegation to The Synod of Dordt - Mr Mark Shand

There also is a full book entitled:
The British Delegation and the Synod of Dort (1618-1619) by Anthony Milton (2005)

When it comes to the Remonstrants and the Counter-Remonstrants, the results of the Synod, the aftermath, it is very likely that YMMV (your mileage may vary).

However, Mark Shand does do a good job placing the Synod in the center of Reformation history.

Shalom,
Steven
Old 12-14-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Avery View Post
Hi Folks,

While TimV is no longer on forum, this reference had a spot of interest.

From the point of view of the King James Bible, the very significant document at the Synod of Dort was the excellent summary of the translation. And that the English delegation included Samuel Ward, moderate Puritan, one of the translators.

http://bible.zoxt.net/pol/_336.htm (Latin)
http://bible.zoxt.net/pol/_338.htm (English)
Report on the Making of the Version of 1611 Presented to the Synod of Dort

The "majority" issue refers to instructions that the English delegation was instructed to first confer and come to a position, and then vote as a unit. A bit like most states in the Electoral College, except there is not a question of "natural-born citizen" with which to be concerned.

A brief but neat history is available at:

http://spindleworks.com/library/brj/...99_english.htm
The English Delegation to The Synod of Dordt - Mr Mark Shand

There also is a full book entitled:
The British Delegation and the Synod of Dort (1618-1619) by Anthony Milton (2005)

When it comes to the Remonstrants and the Counter-Remonstrants, the results of the Synod, the aftermath, it is very likely that YMMV (your mileage may vary).

However, Mark Shand does do a good job placing the Synod in the center of Reformation history.

Shalom,
Steven
Wow, I'd never read that document until now. I must say that it only futhers my love for the work done by these translators.

You know what I always notice among our critics is that they think they know something about The Bible that we don't. They always come around with "well did you know..." type attacks. It's really pathetic imho. As if I'd devote my entire life to the teachings of this Book and not do a thorough study of its origins. Please...

For Jesus' sake,
Stephen
Old 03-07-2009, 10:03 AM

I have recently become a student of Bro. Sam Gipp, and find him one of the authorities on the KJV of the Bible. Hope all will take the time to Google his website for further information. This is an excellent thread and being a "newbie" have gotten some wonderful information. Thank you
Old 03-11-2009, 02:57 PM

You have done well in the defense of the words of God.God bless you...