Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:20 PM

Hehe, a ton of those links on JIS link right back here
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 09-23-2008, 07:34 PM
ericwgreene

Hello everyone... Well I am now off the road and safely at my destination.

I am truly sorry for all of the problems I have caused on this board. My intention was truly to just chat about Christianity related things. Even my question on this thread really was genuine in looking for a factual answer.

I guess the medium of the Internet and boards masks my true intents and makes me look sinister or like a trouble maker.

I have accepted the fact there is nothing I can do to change this perception so I will not try. To those of you who were gracious I appreciate it. To those of you who attempted to answer my questions, thank you for trying. I did not ignore what you wrote. As I said in other threads I try to learn from all Christians.

To the board owner and moderator thank you for not cancelling my account and I apologize for my contribution to making this board not reflect the true Christian charity and compassion that it should. I never intended to harm or malign anyone.

And to my buddy Atlas... I will pray for you...

I may post here again, who knows... but to everyone - thank you for allowing me to visit.

Soli Deo Gloria,
Eric

Last edited by ericwgreene; 09-23-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:46 PM

Question This is all so confusing

I don't understand the copyrights on the KJV and there seem to be so many different ones. Are all KJV bibles the same or is there one that is not a copyright. I was told that the KJV copyright has expired.

If this sounds confusing think how I feel. I have the KJ Reference Bible (Zondervan) copyright 2000

Can someone explain or direct me to a good explanation source?

Thomas
Old 10-12-2008, 09:24 PM
tlewis3348

Because Tyndale's translation uses English that is so old it is almost a different language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwgreene View Post
Luke - first let me thank you for taking the time to seriously respond to my challenge. Next, I must admit ignorance on this particular line of argument (although I do have some vague memory of hearing it before). If we accept your reasoning as correct (and I do not doubt your argument on this) why not just use Tyndale's translation? Why use the KJB?
Old 10-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWhy View Post
I don't understand the copyrights on the KJV and there seem to be so many different ones. Are all KJV bibles the same or is there one that is not a copyright. I was told that the KJV copyright has expired.

If this sounds confusing think how I feel. I have the KJ Reference Bible (Zondervan) copyright 2000

Thomas
The King James Version never was copywrited. It had the "crown copyright," which the King awarded to various printers; but it has never been copyrighted in the sense that we use the word.

However, if you get a Scofield KJB, there's a copyright on the notes; and there's a copyright on the charts and marginalia of the Thompson KJB; but the actual text has never been copywrited. In your KJV reference Bible, only the notes and references are copyrighted.

All modern versions are copywrited, for financial reasons.

Somebody once said that there are 3 types of books that will always make money: a diet book, a sex manual, or a new Bible.

Money is the root of all evil.

Hope this helps.....
Old 10-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
Oops

1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Steve Schwenke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWhy View Post

Thomas
The American Publishers - Nelson, Zondervan, Et. al, copyright the typesetting, which includes the way the pages are laid out, the page headings, and even some minor spelling changes. I have not seen any actual word changes, but the spelling changes of the English words ending in "OUR" vs. the American ending of "or." Also the word "throughly" to "thoroughly" (the dictionary definition of "throughly" is "thoroughly" so I don't think this makes it an actual word change...just a spelling change from Britain to American...).
What this copyright does is prevent someone from photocopying their edition, putting a new cover on it, and selling it.

The text itself is NOT copywritten. Nobody needs anyone's permission to quote it. You could download it, reformat it, print it, and sell it.

(I found this out by writing these different companies to make sure they were not trying to copyright the actual text...)

In Christ,
Old 10-14-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
The King James Version never was copywrited. It had the "crown copyright," which the King awarded to various printers; but it has never been copyrighted in the sense that we use the word.

However, if you get a Scofield KJB, there's a copyright on the notes; and there's a copyright on the charts and marginalia of the Thompson KJB; but the actual text has never been copywrited. In your KJV reference Bible, only the notes and references are copyrighted.

All modern versions are copywrited, for financial reasons.

Somebody once said that there are 3 types of books that will always make money: a diet book, a sex manual, or a new Bible.

Hope this helps.....
Man, this was well put. You SO hit the nail on the head with the diet book, sex manual, new bible comment. I normally would laugh about this sort of thing, but it just doesn't seem right. We have got to continue to sow seeds of doubt about those perVersions in anyone we get the chance to. I came to believe the KJB because someone did this with me. I fought the idea of the KJB being the only preserved Word of God in English, but now look at me. I even rub some baptists the wrong way with my stance against their use of the greek in church services, lol. There is a good chance Eric will come around some day. It may take days, months or even years, but if he humbly seeks for the Truth of God's Word he will find it.

Keep on keepin on my brothers!

Much Love in Christ Jesus,
Stephen
Old 10-15-2008, 07:40 PM

I wish to thank you all for the discussion it has been most enlightening. Also, perhaps it has not gone unnoticed that for people like me who’s desire is only to dwell in the word of God there is too much confusion. I thank God for his guidance in this pursuit. Further, I have faith that God will provide me with the understanding of his Word as suits His purpose. Therefore I shall endeavor to acquire an unadulterated edition of the King James that is without commentary or notes.

The deception of the many who publish books for profit and pass them off as God’s word will have much to answer for on the Day of Judgment.

I wish to thank Len at the KJV store for his help in acquiring the faithful Word.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:45 AM

ThomasWhy,

Thanks for the commercial buddy.

Atlas