Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:10 PM
melanie_1982

"...only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel..."

would it be that Christ would have us to argue over the meaning of one word?

"...do all things without murmurings and disputings: That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world..."

The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-08-2008, 06:05 PM
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie_1982 View Post
would it be that Christ would have us to argue over the meaning of one word?
All the words in the Bible are important - so I guess it would depend on exactly what the word was and what the argument was about.

Jesus made some arguments based on the tenses of verbs, and Paul made an argument based on the fact that one particular word was singular, referring to Christ.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:32 AM
fundy

Its always interesting to see how a Bible corrector will attempt to prove that the KJB is wrong or in error in some small way or other, then themselves turn and drink deeply from whatever polluted stream they have a taste for.

In againstheresies case it seems it is the NKJV that appeals.

Its always the same..."the greek says this" or "a better translation of the Greek is this".....who cares what the Greek says anyway??, the dual facts that the collective minds of the KJB translators agreed that the correct rendering was the word "study" and that God promised to preserve his words (psalm 12:6-7) makes the understanding of Greek irrelevant to me.

fundy
Old 05-10-2008, 07:27 AM
melanie_1982

I agree. Just look at what God almighty has set up for us. He knows how we will each fall in our daily lives, but He still allows us to have free will to do all of the falling that is required to understand that all will fall short of the glory of the Lord. But through His Son we still have hold on the chance to one day pass over into that glorious place called Heaven. Look at the fact that he knew that Satan would tempt man and man would eat from the Tree of Life. Still he put that tree into the Garden of Eden, and allowed us to become a fallen race of people. He has placed everything (words, people, weather) into the places that he ordains and sees necessary. It is not for us to understand, only for us to accept. The thing I wonder about is that Jesus said

"..And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part..."

what do you think he meant with the use of these words?
Old 05-10-2008, 08:09 AM
fundy

Quote:
I agree. Just look at what God almighty has set up for us. He knows how we will each fall in our daily lives, but He still allows us to have free will to do all of the falling that is required to understand that all will fall short of the glory of the Lord. But through His Son we still have hold on the chance to one day pass over into that glorious place called Heaven. Look at the fact that he knew that Satan would tempt man and man would eat from the Tree of Life. Still he put that tree into the Garden of Eden, and allowed us to become a fallen race of people. He has placed everything (words, people, weather) into the places that he ordains and sees necessary. It is not for us to understand, only for us to accept. The thing I wonder about is that Jesus said

"..And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part..."

what do you think he meant with the use of these words?
Forgive me if I am off the mark here in the point that you are trying to make, but you cannot use this verse as an instruction to ignore obvious error.

In this instance, it is the Apostles who are in error in rebuking a man that was perfoming miracles and casting out devils in a manner that Jesus approved of...he was not going around contradicting and correcting the inspired word of God, and as what was written in an earlier post, in essence asking the question, "yea, hath God said?"

fundy
Old 05-10-2008, 09:26 AM
melanie_1982

Fundy:

Sorry, you are right. I was not using this verse to go along with this thread. I should have opened up a new discussion I guess, I really actually meant that I wonder all of the different possibilities that that verse could be interpreted to mean in these times. I will try and repost it in a new thread. Thanks for your reply though, it is so nice to be able to pick other people's brains for information. Just imagine how it must've been one hundred years ago...

Melanie
Old 05-10-2008, 11:34 PM
fundy

Quote:
Fundy:

Sorry, you are right. I was not using this verse to go along with this thread. I should have opened up a new discussion I guess, I really actually meant that I wonder all of the different possibilities that that verse could be interpreted to mean in these times. I will try and repost it in a new thread. Thanks for your reply though, it is so nice to be able to pick other people's brains for information. Just imagine how it must've been one hundred years ago...

Melanie

Hi Melanie,

I often imagine what life in general would have been like 100, or even more, years ago...and the only advantage that I can come with in living in those times is that almost everyone agreed that the Bible meant what it said and said what it meant.

Even at age 45, a man of my age would have been an old man with bad eyes, no teeth, various injuries that had not been treated, or even dead from something like appendicitis or the flu, wheras these days those things are really not a concern, and we can all sit around talking to people on the other side of the planet!!

Now, imagine if you can what it will be like with Christ ruling for 1000 years!!....mind blowing...

fundy
Old 05-17-2008, 03:57 AM
Truth4Today

Exclamation If Study Is Not Correct, Then Why Are You Studying?

Dear againstheresies,

The word (σπουδαζω) is found some 10 times in the New Testament and can be translated as do diligence (2Tim. 4:9, 21); be diligent (Titus 3:12; 2Peter 3:14); give diligence (2Peter 1:10); labour (Heb. 4:11); endeavor (Eph. 4:3; 1Thes. 2:7; 1Peter 1:5). However, it must be kept in mind that context determines how a word is translated and used. In (2Tim. 2:15), as has already been said, it is the diligent labour of study that one engages in when rightly divided the word of Truth. The word study is perfect here. There is no good reason to change it.

- “One accurate measurement is worth more than a thousand expert opinions”

- “...this is the Word of God; come, search, ye critics, and find a flaw; examine it, from its Genesis to its Revelation, and find an error... This is the book untainted by any error; but is pure, unalloyed, perfect truth. Why? Because God wrote it. Ah! charge God with error if you please; tell him that his book is not what it ought to be. I have heard men, with prudish and mock-modesty, who would like to alter the Bible; and (I almost blush to say it) I have heard ministers alter God's Bible, because they were afraid of it... Pity they were not born when God lived far—far back that they might have taught God how to write.” Charles Haddon Spurgeon (Spurgeon's Sermons Volume 1: Sermon II p. 31)

- “If, therefore, any do complain that I have sometimes hit my opponents rather hard, I take leave to point out that 'to everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the sun' : 'a time to embrace, and a time to be far from embracing' : a time for speaking smoothly, and a time for speaking sharply. And that when the words of Inspiration are seriously imperilled, as now they are, it is scarcely possible for one who is determined effectually to preserve the Deposit in its integrity, to hit either too straight or too hard.” Dean John William Burgon (The Revision Revised. pp. vii-viii)