Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:45 PM

Default Who Are Those Guys???

Pardon the cheeky reference to a line from a movie, but it seemed apropos. Reason being is, at times, I wonder who I am, and wonder if it matters along with wondering what and why people ask me some of the things they do. As of 3 years ago I know I have given myself wholly over to God through Jesus Christ, I know that the KJV is the real deal hands down, I know I have a one of the best Bibles out there for study (Thompson) and just bought a Ryrie this very evening as my Christmas gift to me because of you folks here so that is covered, got a Strong's and ESword, and I love the God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost. Here is the thing...I love to study and research as I ponder God's word and have used as a part of my study the teachings of John MacArthur. I use his study Bible (NKJV until recently because Thomas Nelson figured it would sell better than what John uses, the NASB) and recently was given his complete commentary as a gift. Now, I do not use the text of the NKJV, but the notes only. What does this make me? Calvinist? Arminian? Pre or post millenialist? A dispensationalist (John refers to himself as a "leaky" dispensationalist...whatever that means)?

Does it matter and why are people asking me these things? Does it matter that I have been using these study aids? Can anyone give me some insight into this?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 12-18-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve54 View Post
Pardon the cheeky reference to a line from a movie, but it seemed apropos. Reason being is, at times, I wonder who I am, and wonder if it matters along with wondering what and why people ask me some of the things they do. As of 3 years ago I know I have given myself wholly over to God through Jesus Christ, I know that the KJV is the real deal hands down, I know I have a one of the best Bibles out there for study (Thompson) and just bought a Ryrie this very evening as my Christmas gift to me because of you folks here so that is covered, got a Strong's and ESword, and I love the God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost. Here is the thing...I love to study and research as I ponder God's word and have used as a part of my study the teachings of John MacArthur. I use his study Bible (NKJV until recently because Thomas Nelson figured it would sell better than what John uses, the NASB) and recently was given his complete commentary as a gift. Now, I do not use the text of the NKJV, but the notes only. What does this make me? Calvinist? Arminian? Pre or post millenialist? A dispensationalist (John refers to himself as a "leaky" dispensationalist...whatever that means)?

Does it matter and why are people asking me these things? Does it matter that I have been using these study aids? Can anyone give me some insight into this?
John is as leaky of a dispensationalist as one can get. He is the champion of Lordship Salvation these days, so I would mark him and avoid him.

Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. (Romans 16:17 KJV)

Here are some links, from David J. Stewart (the watchdog against LS and its false teachers), on some of the things you've mentioned.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False.../macarthur.htm

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False...ce_refutes.htm

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False...tion/proof.htm

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Books..._salvation.htm

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False...on/foolish.htm

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False...n/lordship.htm

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False...on_exposed.htm

http://onetruegod.wordpress.com/cate...xposed/page/2/

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/kirk_cameron.htm

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolve...hurs_words.htm

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Bible...rthur-lame.htm (on your commentary)

Concerning Calvinism and Arminianism; they are both wrong. However, Calvinism is the king of heresies in my not so humble opinion. You know the story of Adam, Eve and the serpent right? How that Eve blamed the serpent, and Adam blamed Eve? Calvinism at it's logical conclusion blames God.

What you need to do is focus on that King James Bible and let your title be King James Bible Believer.

I will also add, so as to not sound to hypocritical, that on my Facebook page I call myself a Pretribulational, Premillennial, Free-Grace Dispensational, King James Bible Believing Baptist. *PHEW*

For Jesus' sake,
Stephen

Last edited by stephanos; 12-18-2008 at 08:50 PM. Reason: My grammar is terrible
Old 12-18-2008, 11:27 PM

Default Wow...Don't Exactly Feel The Love There...

Now that was an interesting departure. I felt like the guy was petitioning that I go straight to hell with not even a stop to bow my knee. When people go off on someone like that it makes me want to look in their closet, under their bed, or in the trunk of their car. I must say a few things...first, and maybe this is true because I am new at this, I have done some listening to John in my growth and read some of his stuff and have to say that I have never come across anything that would put that big a bee in my bonnet. I mean, it would be great if he would come to the Light and use a KJV. What I did see was a lot of little blurbs taken out of context and commented on. Anything can seem bogus with that approach...even the Bible. Second, I have come up in a "front line" ministry and there are plenty of things I have experienced from working with "experienced and long-time" followers that would lead me to believe that they haven't read all the parts of the Bible yet. Third, I don't have very much trouble understanding the Bible. I like study and reference Bibles, hence my interest in the notes and commentary. Anything that has to do with history is what I am looking for. I'm a fairly sharp cookie and have been to the circus a couple of times, so getting the drop on me isn't as easy as some might think. Besides, God tells me a lot of stuff, and I know it is Him because I can verify what I am hearing by checking it in Scripture...the KJV one...

Guess I better cancel that Ryrie Bible I ordered tonight.

"John MacArthur clearly teaches that every believer is NOT assured a home in Heaven."

Well...he said that on his web tirade, and, I guess that makes me condemned because I can walk into just about any church today and show you a whole bunch of folks that say their believers who'll beggin' for water alongside that rich guy. I gotta work at it everyday...the adversary doesn't let up just because someone says "thank you, Jesus". Spiritual warfare is as real as anything I have ever experienced in my wildest dreams and worst nightmares. There's that thing in Romans 8.31...keeps me going, and the very nanosecond I forget that Scripture is the day...well...I guess I'll be leaning on my own understanding.

Is this guy one of those once saved always saved guys? I've heard of them...

I heartily agree with you, Stephen, in that the bottom line is study. I know that is true because I read somewhere that faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.

And I have no more of an idea as to what lordship salvation is than I know about driving a nuclear submarine...
Old 12-19-2008, 01:50 AM

Well Brother, not entirely sure where you are coming from, but Lordship Salvation has two heads. One of them is Calvinism, and stems from the perseverance of the saints teaching, that God will enable a believer to live a Holy life until the end (that in it's simplest form is truth, but I won't go into the falsities in the perserverance of the saints doctrine). The other, uglier head is that of the Arminian side, that salvation must be kept through works after salvation is recieved by grace.

Salvation is entirely of grace through faith. Faith in Christ's blood. David Stewart (the author of those articles) is a once saved always saved guy... not sure if you said that because you are not, I couldn't really follow sorry.

But I am sure you will find plenty of people here willing to defend eternal security. I doubt you could go into any church and show me anyone that you knew 100% for sure or not was going to heaven or hell. That is not something you could possibly know, and you would only be judging by the fruits that YOU would see.

I am blessed to hear about your studies.

I don't mean to sound overly critical.

I'll just say one last thing brother - John MacArthur also believes in eternal security (once saved always saved).
Old 12-19-2008, 04:18 AM

Throughout the Book of Romans, Paul goes over the differences and similarities between salvation through works and salvation through faith.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:20 AM

Amen Luke. Not sure what the OPs beliefs are, but salvation is by grace through faith alone, and the saved are eternally secure in Christ.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:38 AM

Good points and I do thank you folks for piping up. This is all very confounding to a person who likes to keep it simple. If the people I read about in Scripture can be people of God, anyone can. It is up to God...not us. God asks us to do the footwork per His instructions and faith gives us works and by our works are we known because the fruit is there. God does His footwork also. The who what where when how and why of that is not for me to worry think ponder or consider but pray about and seek an answer which will come in God's time frame. If that is incorrect, God will let me know.

That little simplistic and childish thing said, I must say that I surely do enjoy this site. It is informative. I ordered a Bible yesterday, and thanks to where this site led me and some serious prayer, the order will be canceled. That saves me some time and effort, keeps my mind straight as far as how to study Scripture, and saves me 100 dollars to boot.

What's an "OP"?

Praise His Holy Name and blessings upon all...
Old 12-19-2008, 12:43 PM

"OP" is short for "original poster"

Sounds like a good decision on the Ryrie, that's what I had before my Thompson and I'm glad I switched. Notes on the same page as the text isn't the greatest thing, as it tends to make you rely more on the author's notes, instead of the Spirit's leading.

Happy studying!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:52 PM

Gonna go dig into...well...I don't know. Let's see where the Book falls open.

Thanks, Josh...I did some research on the Ryrie and found that he is also a follower of the "new" texts in that he occasionlly explains the KJV texts with the old "this verse/word/whatever is not in the better manuscripts" in his study notes. I get enough of that out of MacArthur and why, when the dust settles, I have always truly/diligently/lovingly trusted Dr. Thompson's method.

I have always wondered, and maybe this is for another forum and if so apologies here ahead of time, why do those folks who insist that the the KJV is...how do I be nice about this...archaic, and feel the need to justify their erudition by those statements? Seems as if they are feelin' guilty about something.

KJV + Strong's = All you need

Last edited by Steve54; 12-19-2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: I am a bonehead with elephant fingers
Old 12-19-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve54 View Post
Good points and I do thank you folks for piping up. This is all very confounding to a person who likes to keep it simple. If the people I read about in Scripture can be people of God, anyone can. It is up to God...not us. God asks us to do the footwork per His instructions and faith gives us works and by our works are we known because the fruit is there. God does His footwork also. The who what where when how and why of that is not for me to worry think ponder or consider but pray about and seek an answer which will come in God's time frame. If that is incorrect, God will let me know.

That little simplistic and childish thing said, I must say that I surely do enjoy this site. It is informative. I ordered a Bible yesterday, and thanks to where this site led me and some serious prayer, the order will be canceled. That saves me some time and effort, keeps my mind straight as far as how to study Scripture, and saves me 100 dollars to boot.

What's an "OP"?

Praise His Holy Name and blessings upon all...

Aloha brother Steve,

Please check out these former Posts in regards to "study" Bibles,etc. - they may be of some interest to you, and possibly even some help.

http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...39&postcount=1
http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...6&postcount=10
http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...71&postcount=1

Also in regards to "The Inspiration of Scripture" you might want to check out these real fine essays from Moses LemuelRaj, a brother in Christ from India:

http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...19&postcount=1

And lastly you may want to check out my Thread on "Why I Believe In The King James Bible" at:

http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...78&postcount=1

There are many fine Christian brothers on this Forum who can be of a great help and encouragement to Christians everywhere. There are others who come here (and they normally don't stay for very long) to "show off" their knowledge and expertise; or to argue and debate and to "strain at gnats".

You will have to judge who is sincerely interested in edifying the brethren, and who is seeking to divide us, or confuse us. Or there may be some who may be seeking disciples to follow them.

In earnestly contending for the faith, we may (at times) "offend" someone. However, I, for one, do not do these things out of malice, or just to be offensive. I "contend for the faith" because that is what God has commanded us (Christians) to do:

Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

In today's Humanistic climate it is considered "Politically Incorrect" to say what you mean, and to mean what you say; however, our Lord always spoke the truth, and so did his disciples and apostles (regardless of people's "feelings"), so I figure that I am in pretty good company if I try to do the same.

Please check out the Posts I listed and any others that may be of interest to you. If you use the "Search" feature on this Forum you will find a whole lot of information about Bible issues that may be of interest to you (Just type in a word and go for it!).

Enjoy the Forum - I think it's the best on the net, but of course I'm biased and prejudiced!