Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Doxa

Default Wow Atlas

Wow, I have never seen a Christian forum call themselves "fighting".
I guess they were just pointing out the obvious.
GRIN GRIN GRIN
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxa View Post
I have been here for a while now on this board, and with great sadness I don't know what to make of this forum at all.

I see a lot of Sword (meaning God's Precious Sacred Word of God) being used what I would deem sacrilege to make points and sling mud at people.

My husband calls this kind of thing, Sword Wars.
That's an accurate assessment.

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart" (Hebrews 4:12).
Old 10-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
If not, I was wondering, if in a kindly way you could create a topic that would list general beliefs of this forum?
How can a forum have beliefs?

This forum does not have beliefs. It has members. How could a post speak for all members?

Frankly, I think your comments about "Scripture Wars" are very telling. You seem to want to encourage people not to base their arguments on the word. Here is a more scriptural approach:

http://av1611.com/kjbp/articles/stag...he-saints.html
Old 10-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Levite-7

Smile

Quote:
I have been here for a while now on this board, and with great sadness I don't know what to make of this forum at all.
I see a lot of Sword (meaning God's Precious Sacred Word of God) being used what I would deem sacrilege to make points and sling mud at people.
My husband calls this kind of thing, Sword Wars.
hi~

Sword Wars is a new term for me, i'll admit ~ that's interesting. from my travels online, i'm used to the term, Bible Fight. indeed, sometimes it can be a hard thing dealing with believers that feel their pride takes presidence over that which the LORD teaches & give commandment to do. in days that i feel sorrow for being burned for pointing out something that many might not want to know, i recall a favorite passage in the Holy Bible ~ i'll post it here, as a reminder of where we ALL should be as faithful in the LORD Jesus Christ. hopefully, it can bring you comfort as much as it does me.

--

from the Gospel According to St. Luke, CHAP. II 2:10 - 14 (akjv 1611)

2:10 And the Angel said vnto them, Feare not : For behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. 11 For vnto you is borne this day, in the citie of David, a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. 12 And this shall be a signe vnto you; yee shall find the babe wrapped in swadling clothes lying in a manger. 13 And suddenly there was with the Angel a multitude of the heavenly hoste praising God, and saying, 14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good wil towards men.

--

men, women & children (gentiles, heathens & saved) deserve mercy & sacrifice from our walk in the LORD Jesus Christ, & if we as keepers of the Word don't measure up to that last sentence, what does that say about we as Christians? for yesterday & today, i shall mourn with you.

~levite-7
Old 10-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Forum Administrator

I'm not sure what the objection here really is. Maybe someone could explain to me why anyone would object to someone making their points with Scripture.

1. If someone is correcting me in error, I am not going to be convinced by their good arguments sans Scripture. I need the Bible. I need chapter and verse. If I'm off-base, tell me where, chapter and verse!

2. If someone is wrong in their teaching, I need to know where they are getting it from. I need to know, chapter and verse, what they are basing their understanding on. If I think they are wrong, I need to know how they came to their conclusion and what verses that may be misapplying. How can I do that without them quoting Scripture?

Yes, the word is divisive. That's one of it's God-ordained functions.
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Now if this complaint is that some people lack grace, what does that have to do with "the Sword?" "Sword wars" seems to be something negative the way it's been used here, but it's something God has commanded us to do. The word of God is a sword, and it is our offensive weaponry. It is what we are to use to correct error and preach. It hardly seems like a problem that there is too much usage of Scripture. If anything, there isn't enough.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Doxa wrote: I see a lot of Sword (meaning God's Precious Sacred Word of God) being used what I would deem sacrilege to make points and sling mud at people.
I want to clarify my position. I wrote in my previous post:

Quote:
That's an accurate assessment.

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart" (Hebrews 4:12).
I was specifically referring to the statement you made, "My husband calls this kind of thing, Sword Wars." I'm certainly not agreeing with your judgment concerning this Forum, Doxa.

The Word of God is indeed a "Sword" by its own testimony. We (that is, many who are on this Forum) simply speak the word of God which is "...sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart" (Hebrews 4:12).

Some do indeed "sling the mud" of carnal opinion, but many are picking up the "Sword" which is "piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
Old 10-07-2008, 12:36 PM

Doxa:

I'm new here, and am not sure if you are referring to me, as I do like to use lots of Scripture when explaining my position.

I keep in mind the example Jesus set, using Scripture to refute what the Pharisees and scribes (and even Satan!) would say, often saying "Have you not read..?" or "It is written..."

Paul did the same thing, using Scripture to prove his point.

If someone disagrees with my position, they are welcome to show me, from God's word, why they believe what they believe, and why they think that I am mistaken.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Am I View Post
Doxa:

I'm new here, and am not sure if you are referring to me, as I do like to use lots of Scripture when explaining my position.

I keep in mind the example Jesus set, using Scripture to refute what the Pharisees and scribes (and even Satan!) would say, often saying "Have you not read..?" or "It is written..."

Paul did the same thing, using Scripture to prove his point.

If someone disagrees with my position, they are welcome to show me, from God's word, why they believe what they believe, and why they think that I am mistaken.
Dont worry sister you are 100% to use scripture, and as Brandon says half the time not enough is used.
Doxa, sister, this was my point from earlier that genuine, kind, sincere, tenderhearted brethren will think your post is directed at them.

The Underlined is testament to why we should use scripture for all things, the Bible IS our FINAL authority
1 Thessalonians 2:13
For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
Ephesians 6:17
And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

Proverbs 30:5
Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Doxa

Default My reply

If you look at my messages here on this thread, I am not at all, in no way, stating that we should not support our dialogue using Scripture or using the Bible to support our message or to use Scripture!!!! I believe you all know that if you read the rest of what I said. I am talking about using THE WHOLE WORD OF GOD and NOT cut and paste the Bible. I tell you what, I have seen people (this was at another forum some years ago) use the Bible to show that it was Scriptural that they CAN beat their wives...
Yes indeed.
I will give another example. We could use Scripture to show that we are to pray for and bless our enemies and forgive 7 x 70.
Yet, other Scriptures tell us to NOT cast our pearls before swine. Another verse says don't even let certain people into your homes.
So how exactly do we respond to these enemies or neighbors?
What does that prove?
It shows us carefully that we must tread with the Lord Jesus in all cases as we would be doing great disservice to our neighbor if we were to "select" verses that please us. It is the Lord Jesus Who tells us what to do in the cases we are in, such as dealing with our neighbor or enemy. It shows us that God gives us indeed allowances when God shows us that we do not need to cast our pearls any longer, but not by our suits, but by God's deliverance, HIM speaking to our hearts.
We could even go so far, where Jesus said we are to hate our mother, sister, brother.... but yet Jesus said we are to LOVE and bless. But we can really skew Scripture to please ourselves, unless we read more of the Bible and realize that Jesus is telling us that HE comes first in Who we love, so that our actions are righteous. I could go on and on. If one really looks at what Jesus taught in the Gospels, one might conclude that we are to love others more than God because of HIS message, but then we would be a big mess! But God has HIS order and we are to LOVE HIM THE MOST then everything falls into place. (There is a place where it says everything culminates in "love your neighbor as yourself".)
Oh dear, I better quote it to avoid another misunderstanding...
Gal 5:14-15

14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
KJV

MY POINT again is that I am making, is that those who choose to use Scripture in a "biased way" in whatever way that suits, are using the Word un-righteously.
People who teach need to know all of Scripture and rightly lay it out.
That is my point.
All I am saying is that we should humbly and carefully and prayerfully and lovingly use God's Word.

And is it not obvious, for every mean spirited person who throws someone verses, the other can find some to throw back, and then more verses are lashed out until exhausted and by that time everyone is quite confused and went down rabbit trails and everyone is just plain mad and still no one is quite sure what the exact point was sometimes??? Am I the only one who has seen this time and time again on forums?

This is what one calls SWORD Wars.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I am talking about using THE WHOLE WORD OF GOD and NOT cut and paste the Bible.
When you sense someone is improperly using one single verse out of context, then you are free to "rightly divide" for us. Otherwise, willingly apply the truth of His word and learn.