Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:55 AM

Default Difference b/t Wizard and Witch?

Just a quick question here. What's the difference between a wizard and a witch? Is one a male version and the other of the female version of the same craft? Thanks. Tim

Deu 18:10 There shall not be found among you [any one] that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, [or] that useth divination, [or] an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
Deu 18:11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
Deu 18:12 For all that do these things [are] an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-26-2009, 09:38 AM

I would have to say so since the word witch in English specifically means a woman who practices sorcery, enchanting, etc. The definition for wizard isn't as specific but it is still somebody who practices sorcery, enchanting, etc.

Basically I would have to say they do the same kind of craft, since it all comes through the same root anyway which is Satan and his devils. All of the those things are pretty much tied together since one that uses divination, enchants, charms, and consults with familiar spirits is usually labeled a witch, magician, wizard, sorceror, or whatever. All of them are either possessed or work with a devil and do things for that devil to gain their power.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:54 AM

Thanks Kevin!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaz212 View Post
Just a quick question here. What's the difference between a wizard and a witch? Is one a male version and the other of the female version of the same craft? Thanks. Tim

Deu 18:10 There shall not be found among you [any one] that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, [or] that useth divination, [or] an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
Deu 18:11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
Deu 18:12 For all that do these things [are] an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.
Tim, based on what I was always taught, a wizard is a male and a witch is a female, both who practice the same arts by definition of English. A sorcerer practices his or her magic by use of drugs, a necromancer practices their arts by contacting the dead. The witch at Ednor was also a necromancer, albeit she was a fake, up to the point Saul came to her. She screamed when she saw Samuel, she was not used to actually conjuring a dead person up.

Hope this helps

Grace and peace

Tony
Old 05-27-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Interesting question. Mind telling me why you wanted to know?
There are a lot of witches, pagans, and satanists, nowadays, who are
proud of what and who they worship, aren't there?
When I was a kid, people who did that were thought of as nuts. Creepy kooks, not to be hung around with.
How things have changed. The devil is doing a good job at deceiving people.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:50 AM

Hi Brother Tony, yes, your answer helps! Thanks.
Biblereader, the subject came up during a casual discussion about Dungeons and Dragons and similar games. When the definition of what a wizard is, I said it's a male version of witch. But someone said it's not. I think a lot of these games and movies want to portrait the idea that there are good wizards and evil wizards. I wanted to make sure my understanding is not off base.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Biblereader, the subject came up during a casual discussion about Dungeons and Dragons and similar games. When the definition of what a wizard is, I said it's a male version of witch. But someone said it's not. I think a lot of these games and movies want to portrait the idea that there are good wizards and evil wizards. I wanted to make sure my understanding is not off base.
I have 2 family members who are serious gamers. One is obsessed with it, and has been for years. These interactive, live games online now bring the gamer into the occult, whether or not they admit it. I've watched people play online games for days. It's all about magic, powers of darkness,sorcery, witchcraft, witches, wizards, imps, fairies, trolls, casting spells, blood, demons, devils, and in short, the games are a world of
darkness, into which the gamer slowly becomes greatly involved. These games are wicked, and they capture some people's minds and hearts.
Have you noticed that you can NOT interrupt a gamer? They will forsake everything and everyone else, to stay in the game, to keep fighting whatever they fight.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive...e-playing_game
Here's some of the better known game sites, if you need something to pray about this weekend:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/index.xml
(I know a bit about this one: http://www.cityofheroes.com/)
http://boards.cityofvillains.com/ubbthreads.php
http://www.blizzard.com/us/diablo2/
http://www.runescape.com/
and, of course: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/welcome

Don't let the face of COH fool you. It's chock full of demons, magic, and all that.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing you either are, or were, a gamer.
Or, you're worried about a friend or relative involved in this fantasy world.
D&D? COH is my relative's favorite, and the other relative loves D&D.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:39 PM

Biblereader, thanks for the links and comments about these games. I am blessed with very bad video game coordination so I never really got into these things. I still can't do Pac Man. I thank God because of that I didn't get into these fantasy games. I am concerned about the influence of these games on my little nieces and nephews though. A lot of young kids are being drawn to the occult through these types of books and games not knowing what they are getting themselves into.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:39 PM

I was sucked into a type of these games for a while, a few years ago, Star Wars was my bag. In case anyone here doesn't know, Star Wars is chock-full and replete with new age philosophy, witchcraft and outright evil.

Anyways, as for the topic, I've always understood that witches were female, and warlocks were male, practicing essentially the same type of craft.
Wizards are another breed, but as was said, all coming from the same source.
I know that warlock isn't a Bible word, but that's what they call themselves.

One agnostic I've been witnessing to from a previous job recently informed me that now he and some guys from that old job are now meeting weekly for D&D, how sad! He wasn't even into it when I met him, but two of the utterly lost guys there (including a Jew) were, and they've sucked him into it. I've tried to warn him, but he just can't understand.
Seems like when I step up my efforts to witness to someone, the enemy steps up his effort as well.