Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2009, 11:50 PM

So what you are saying is that Jesus had no will of His own, that He was just a robot disguised as a man. He was tempted but it was all just a game because He couldn't give in to it anyway. Jesus was made perfect by obeying the will of the Lord. I don't think that He was bound in shackles to obey, I believe He could have done His own thing, but didn't. I don't see how perfection through automation is very significant or even worthy. From what I can tell, you think Jesus only suffered once in His entire 33 years on this Earth. I think He suffered much more than that, and I think Peter would agree. The verse says He died once for our sins. I couldn't agree more. To say that was the only thing He learned obedience from is just stupid. It's one thing for a holy, sinless God sitting in eternity telling sinners what to do and what not to do and it's another for a man down on this earth under God's laws to try and keep those laws which are holy and pure.

Heb 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
Heb 2:18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Gee, would you look at that Tony, He suffered being tempted. He didn't just suffer once.

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

It doesn't say that He was tempted in all points like as we are, yet without the ability or will to sin. There are two wills that any man can follow. The Lord's and man's own will. One will lead to sin and death, the other will lead to life. (In Jesus' case, the path of the author and finisher of our salvation.)

Mat 26:39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.
Mat 26:40 And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?
Mat 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
Mat 26:42 He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.
Mat 26:43 And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy.

Jesus had the ability to consider both sides of an issue. He could have debated the wrong course of an action, but He never did. Temptation is not sin, but giving in to it is. Jesus just never debated to give in, but he could have.

Heb 12:3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
Heb 12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

We may not have resisted unto blood, but Jesus did. He wasn't an automoton that couldn't think for Himself. He had to resist and strive. "Being tempted at all points, yet without sin."

I'm not trying to show off. I'm sorry if you were flattered. God isn't a brainless automoton that can't go against his programming. He just doesn't because he is holy.