Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Pilgrim

Default The Bible

Divine inspiration makes the Bible uniquely the Word of God,
and as such is different from any other book, sacred or secular.

It is an inspired revelation of God's redemptive plan and purposes in Christ on behalf of man, and not a revelation of natural science or a book of secular history.

The study of the scriptures is the means, divinely ordained,
to bring us into closer connection with our creator,
and to give us a clearer knowledge of His will.

It is the medium of communication between God and us.

Read it to be wise.
Obey it to be happy.
It will bring light to your mind and blessings to your life.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Lively Stone

Bro. Pilgrim:

Beautifully put. Thank you for the inspiring words.

Bro. Danny
Old 02-08-2008, 01:22 AM
Pilgrim

Default Edit

Thanks Danny, However my post was to be a series of many quotes I had accumulated over a period of years from different sources and I neglected to include the proper footnotes.
In further posts I will give credit where credit is due. Footnotes are included below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Divine inspiration makes the Bible uniquely the Word of God,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
and as such is different from any other book, sacred or secular.
It is an inspired revelation of God's redemptive plan and purposes in Christ on behalf of man, and not a revelation of natural science or a book of secular history.1.

The study of the scriptures is the means, divinely ordained,
to bring us into closer connection with our creator,
and to give us a clearer knowledge of His will.
It is the medium of communication between God and us.2.

Read it to be wise.
Obey it to be happy.
It will bring light to your mind and blessings to your life.3.

1. (Author unknown)
2. (The Great Controversy, Ellen G White (SDA) p.64-65)
3. (All Gideon Bibles, Preface.)
Old 02-20-2008, 11:17 AM
eagle777

I agree with what you are saying but to say the Bible is the inspired word of God is a bit of a streach. The Bible contains the Words of God, The Words of Jesus, the words of man, and the words of Satin. Men were inspired to write different books that have been compiled together to form the book we call the Bible.

For example you can find the statement, "For we know that God doesn't hear the prayers of sinners." The serpent said to Eve, "Hath God said?" Peter took Jesus, and began to rebuke him, saying, "Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be done unto thee!"

Last edited by eagle777; 02-20-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
I agree with what you are saying but to say the Bible is the inspired word of God is a bit of a streach. The Bible contains the Words of God, The Words of Jesus, the words of man, and the words of Satin. Men were inspired to write different books that have been compiled together to form the book we call the Bible.

For example you can find the statement, "For we know that God doesn't hear the prayers of sinners." The serpent said to Eve, "Hath God said?" Peter took Jesus, and began to rebuke him, saying, "Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be done unto thee!"
No, not a stretch at all!
Quote:
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
Yes, the words of Satan and men are included in the Bible for doctrine, for our reproof, correction and instruction. These words are also inspired by God. Moses was not there in the Garden, although God gave Moses the words to write about this account in the book of Genesis.

Quote:
1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
RE: the apostles, Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would bring remembrance of His teachings.

Quote:
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Way of Life Encyclopedia
How Much of the Bible is Inspired Scripture?

The entire Bible from Genesis 1 to Revelation 22 is Holy Scripture. (1) The entire O.T. is Scripture (Lu 24:27; Ro 3:2; 2Ti 3:16; 2Pe 1:19-21). The following O.T. books are specifically called Scripture: Genesis (Ro 4:3; Ga 4:30), Exodus (Mt 22:29-32; Ro 9:17), Leviticus (Jas 2:8), Kings (Ro 11:2-3), Psalms (Mt 21:42; Joh 10:34-35; 13:18; 19:24,36; Ro 15:3-4), Isaiah (Mr 14:28; Lu 4:17-21; Ac 8:32-33; Ro 10:11; 1Pe 2:6), Zechariah (Joh 19:37). (2) The Gospels are Scripture (compare 1Ti 5:18 and Mt 10:10; Heb 2:3). (3) The writings of the Apostles are Scripture (1Co 2:7-13; 1Pe 1:12; 2Pe 3:1-2,15-16). (4) Revelation is Scripture; it is called the Word of God (Re 1:2).

Last edited by Beth; 02-20-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:56 PM
jerry

Quote:
Sounds like a bit of neo-orthodoxy there. Read any Barth lately?...

Add that to his comments in another thread and it shows that he does not believe the Bible is inspired, but that the parts that affect you become inspired. The Bible itself teaches that it is ALL inspired - it doesn't become the Word of God, it IS the Word of God.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:09 PM
eagle777

Let me make myself clear. I believe that most of the Bible was written by men who were inspired of God or at least allowed by God to write what is contained there in. All I was trying to say is that not every word in there is first of all truth as the examples I stated. Just because they are not truth doesn't mean they were not inspired to be put in there.

Do you believe that God still inspires men to write down His words? When Paul wrote the 14 books that are in the New Testament he was writing letters to various churches. It wasn't until the 1800's that the Bible was printed. Not all of the word of God in contained in the bible and even that which is happens to be a translation of another language.

Most of the New Testament was written in Greek, which is a very descriptive language. Take the word 'love' for example. There are at least 4 different meanings of this word. This is why we have so many translations of the Bible.

I am in no way trying to discredit the Bible.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:42 AM
eagle777

In John chapter five the Jews (reglion, church) were trying to kill Jesus because what he taught didn't support all their doctrines and Jesus told them this. John 5:39-40, (KJV)

“Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.”

(NIV)

“You examine the scriptures carefully because you suppose that in them you have eternal life. Yet they testify about me. But you are not willing to come to me to have life.”

He said that the Father, who has sent Me has testified of Me but you have neither heard the voice of My Father nor have you ever seen Him because you do not have His word living in you and as a result you do not believe the one He sent to you.

I grew up in a church like many of you that deified the King James translation of the Bible because it supported their doctrines and they would practically put you out of their church if you used any other version of the Bible.

In my study of the Bible I compare several versions with the KJ and rely heavily on the Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible. But even more than that I rely on the Spirit of the Lord to explain His word.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:25 AM
jerry

Quote:
Let me make myself clear. I believe that most of the Bible was written by men who were inspired of God or at least allowed by God to write what is contained there in.
What happened to believing what the Bible says? It says ALL Scripture - which means the WHOLE Bible, ALL OF IT - is inspired by God - not just some parts of it or most of it.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:41 PM
eagle777

Depends on you defination of scripture. The only bible they had at the time of Paul was the
old testament scroles.