General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:06 PM

Another big problem of mine is my obsession with works. I am seeing almost anything as a work. Basically, I have calvinist doctrine, even though I reject calvinism. So here I am praying that God would change me, and fearing actually stepping out and having faith, in case that faith is counted as a work, or it's something that "I do" instead of God. I sometimes feel like I am consigned to sit and wait, and somehow God will just overpower me and I will be in His will forever. The popular resurgence of calvinism online does nothing to help me.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-23-2009, 08:16 PM

Default Not sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I don't ever remember a time I accepted Christ as my Saviour. A time when I did business with God, so to speak. I remember reading a chick tract many years ago, and feeling guilty and condemned, but I also remember not changing after that at all... My memory is kind of all mushed together, but if the order is right in my head, then after I read that tract, I remember being all weepy. I am not sure what I did about it though. I think I thought I was already saved because I went to church and was raised to believe the truth.

May God have mercy on my soul.
Not sure? Here's how:

1. Accept that you are a sinner. Truly the bible says that the heart is deceitfull above all things and who can know it? In Romans 3:23 stated that we are all sinners in the sight of God.
2. Believe that Jesus can save you. Remember, Christ is the only way to God. John 14:6
3. Confess him. This is not to confess your sins but to accept Christ to be your personal Saviour. Romans 10:9 says "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus..."

The bible further states that we can do this by a simple payer of faith"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13

Here is only a guide in accepting Christ to be your personal Saviour.

"Father, thank you for sending Jesus to us as he died in the cross of calvary. I know I am a sinner and bound to hell, but i believe Christ and accept in my heart to be my personal Saviour. Thank you for saving my soul. In Jesus name. Amen.

Jude 25
http://www.fredsites.weebly.com
Old 03-23-2009, 11:13 PM

I know not to trust in feelings, but if I was truly convicted over my sin, and truly believed God's grace, wouldn't I be floored? wouldn't I just be in tears? It never seems to happen.. I want to believe, but it seems as though I just believe it as facts, rather than really truly believing it applies to me.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Another big problem of mine is my obsession with works. I am seeing almost anything as a work. Basically, I have calvinist doctrine, even though I reject calvinism. So here I am praying that God would change me, and fearing actually stepping out and having faith, in case that faith is counted as a work, or it's something that "I do" instead of God. I sometimes feel like I am consigned to sit and wait, and somehow God will just overpower me and I will be in His will forever. The popular resurgence of calvinism online does nothing to help me.
Brother dont let people or their ideas come between you and the Lord, you mention that the resurgence of calvinism does nothing to help you, you are correct IT DOES NOTHING to help you only serve to confuse those who are in Christ to ADD unto Christs FINISHED work on the cross.
If I may offer some advice a brother gave me, quite simply avoid the topic of Calvinism and any research into it or debate with those entrenched in it or any other teaching for doctrine the commandments of men

Hebrews 13:9 Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.

You are saved, bought and paid for with the Blood of a Risen Saviour, there is no special charismatic "feeling" as claimed by many at salvation, if our salvation was determined by how we "feel" then the Bible would tell us this, we know we are saved because the Bible says so, and we believe, we have that faith in things unseen.

Hebrews 11:1
Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Brother I know that you believe from your posts and your attitude, and like myself I have noticed that your tender heart has been challenged by false teachings and those who cast doubt into you heart through such teaching.
I never have held to any of the points of Calvinism and find the teaching a stumblingblock to babes in Christ and those who are weak in faith.
These last days are the last ditch attempt by the god of this world to counterfeit Gods word and sway his people through deceit, calling on people to "feel" rather than believe or to "DO" rather than just "BE" in Christ

1 Timothy 4:9 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation.
1 Timothy 4:10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

I love this verse for the apostle tells us that it is a "faithful saying" and worthy of ALL ACCEPTATION
I just have to read that one verse from Gods Holy written word that is marked in that book as a "faithful saying" to know that Christ died for ALL MEN especially those that "believe" you do believe I know you do, and Christ died for YOU dont feel it dont look to feel it, know it because it is
written

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

He died for us Bro, you believe it I believe it, Sin will taint our lives until that day we are called home or Christ comes for us the only perfect man was crucified!
Just keep trying Bro, the Lord will not allow YOU to bear more than you can handle, the lesson in all this will become a blessing in the end, that I am certain of

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

As the verse says GOD IS FAITHFUL even when sometime we aren't as faithful as we ought or want to be.
There are things I struggle with on a daily basis but when I wake in the morning and the Lord has spared me I know that he still has a purpose for my life and I try again to live the right way ALWAYS looking to Christ for ALL my needs.

David had committed a grievous sin against the Lord, he committed adultery and Murder ! now God forgave him, he was grieved for a season but through prayer he seen his way through by the power of God!

Psalms 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
Psalms 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
Psalms 51:12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

God bless Bro, I Hope and Pray you find the Joy you seek

addition: May I just add that explaining to my Mother how you are feeling she said to me, "I love reading what that young man has to say, you just know he is a brother from his tender heart, please tell him that I will pray for him"

Last edited by peopleoftheway; 03-24-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
I know not to trust in feelings, but if I was truly convicted over my sin, and truly believed God's grace, wouldn't I be floored? wouldn't I just be in tears? It never seems to happen.. I want to believe, but it seems as though I just believe it as facts, rather than really truly believing it applies to me.
John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
Have you heard? Do you believe?

Your salvation is settled.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
It's not that complicated Luke, God made it simple.
Did you invite and receive Christ in your heart or not?
If not, if doubtful, then get down on your knees right now and DO IT.
Don't get up until you have done it!
Afterward, write down the date in your Bible, and claim it.

I suspect your problem is you don't believe God's Word.
Get your focus off yourself and take God at His Word.
Claim these verses:

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name -- John 1:12

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. -- Eph. 2:8-9

Remember these points:

1. We are carnal, sold under sin. Romans 7:14

2. Sin still dwells in our body until the day we leave it. Romans 7:20

3. The war a believer fights in the same one Paul fought, do you think HE was saved? Romans 7:23

Read the entire passage about the "war on the flesh" here in Romans 7:14-25
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...07;&version=9;

Last edited by Bro. Parrish; 03-24-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:16 AM

Default Re: " Please help friends.."

Quote:

Aloha brother Luke,

And I do mean BROTHER! I agree 100% with brother Steve (peopleoftheway). I have read most of your Posts brother. Your testimony "rings true". I believe that you are saved, however, if there is any doubt in your heart ask the Lord to save you now. There's no harm in making sure!

I have been saved since 1958 (18 years old) and to my shame, I have seriously backslidden once in every decade since (with the exception of this last decade). One sin or another caused me to "backslide" in the early 1960's; the middle 1970's; the middle 1980's; and the late 1990's.

Each time I "backslid", I "backslid" for a little longer period of time - so I'm NOT recommending it to anyone. I'm NOT making excuses for my sins, I'm just telling you what happened to me.

I don't want to give you a false sense of security, but your concern over your sins is a sure sign that God is working in you - you just have to examine yourself to see if you are in the faith.

2 Corinthians 13:3 Since ye seek a proof of Christ speaking in me, which to you-ward is not weak, but is mighty in you.
4 For though he was crucified through weakness, yet he liveth by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but we shall live with him by the power of God toward you.
5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Brother, there's no harm in examining yourself - whether you are IN the faith or not. If your not sure - "BELIEVE ON the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved".

You "know" the Gospel - BELIEVE it. I don't know of one Christian that I have ever met, who didn't (at least one time in their life) doubt their salvation. If Satan can't prevent you from getting saved, the next thing he will do is to get you to doubt your salvation (doubt God's salvation - Romans 6:23, Ephesians 2:8); and when he gets you to doubt your salvation, he really is getting you to doubt God's words; doubt God's promises; doubt Christ's finished work. {Yea hath God said? Did God really mean it when He promised you eternal life, if you BELIEVE ON Jesus Christ's FINISHED work?}

Do you see how Satan operates? Here is Satan's modus operandi - his "devices".

1. Prevent people from getting saved. {Get them to DOUBT God's words and promises!}

2. If they get saved - get them to doubt their salvation. {Get them to DOUBT God's words and promises!}

3. If they are saved and are assured of salvation - get them hung up on some carnal sin (either of the flesh or of the mind). {Get them to DOUBT God's words and promises concerning leading an overcoming life.}

If the Lord Jesus Christ's finished work on Calvary isn't enough for our past sins; the sins we commit today; and our future sins; none of us are going to make it brother, for we all sin - every single day! Now there is no excuse for our sinning - but the fact is, while we are in this flesh, we will sin. Read Romans 5, 6, 7, & 8 over and over again. That's where the Christian's battle is, that's why we fail so often, but that's where the POWER is also, and our ASSURANCE.

Paul speaks about: "the infirmity of your flesh" [Romans 6:19]:

Romans 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not;
but what I hate, that do I.
16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Now if God left it like that we would be in a world of hurt, but Paul finishes up with our WALK in the SPIRIT; our HOPE; AND he closes with our POWER. Read Romans Chapter 8 (I can't quote and comment on the whole Chapter here.) At the end of Romans Chapter 8 is one of strongest, and surest statements in all of God's word attesting to our ASSURANCE of salvation:

Romans 8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? {The world, the flesh, and the devil}

32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

Romans 8:38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

By all means, if your NOT "persuaded" - examine yourself: "whether ye be in the faith"; if you are: confess your sins; repent of your sins; pick yourself up; turn away from those things that cause you to sin; and get on with your "walk" with God. And try to always keep in your mind: "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." [Philippians 4:13]

If you're not sure you have ever been saved - then BELIEVE ON the Lord Jesus Christ, i.e. the Gospel (I didn't say to "dedicate your life to Christ") and God WILL save you. Don't "stumble" at the simplicity that is in Christ (as the Calvinist do); just simply BELIEVE! God has promised you eternal life.

IF :. . . . "thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." [ Romans 10:9 ]

FOR: . . . "with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." [ Romans 10:10]

I personally received complete assurance of salvation about 10 years after I was saved - when I got a hold of John 1:12-13:

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

These verses settled the matter for me (forever). I asked myself:

Was there ever a time when I BELIEVED ON the Lord Jesus Christ? And my answer was YES - in October 1958, and I have the "Journals" I kept in 1959 & 1960 to "prove" it.

Then: Since I surely did BELIEVE on the Lord Jesus Christ - I have RECEIVED Him [That's what God's word says - John 1:12]; and if I have RECEIVED Him - I must be a son of God! I must be "born of God" i.e. "born again" [That's what God's word says - John 1:13]. It's 40 years later, and I still don't profess to understand it all - I just BELIEVE it!}

It really is simple after all: 1 John 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

Do you have the Son? - then you've got life {Eternal Life}! If you don't have the Son - then you'd better "get Him" today. Don't let all of these "side issues" (Calvinism, repentance, dedication, living it, etc.) "sidetrack" you from the main issue; and that is your need to BELIEVE ON (or IN) the Lord Jesus Christ.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
Have you heard? Do you believe?

Your salvation is settled.
Brother Luke...I echo Brandon's simple post. Believe and receive. I want to encourage you to know that eternal salvation has been settled forever. Jesus Christ is your righteousness. Your holiness is not based on what you do or do not do. You are "holy" because Christ is in you. You are "righteous" because Christ is in you. You are "sanctified" because Christ is in you. You are "forgiven" because Christ is in you.

Don't minimize the power of Christ! He has fully satisfied the just demands of God the Father toward sin...FOREVER. His blood covers past, present, and future sin. Accept it by faith. Believe it. It's all about HIM! There is nothing you will ever do as a believer that "condemns" you before the Father. I know that's hard for us to truly grasp...but stop allowing Satan to condemn you when Christ has already sanctified you. Get that! It's good that you are miserable in your sinful choices. So was Paul. (Romans 7.)

Believe the Scriptures:
Colossians 1:21-22 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:

2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Hebrews 10:10-14 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
Brother Luke...every day...every moment do this ONE thing. By faith, rejoice in the person of the Lord Jesus Christ. Make it your life purpose to simply know Him...and Him alone. Enter into HIS rest. Keep looking soley to Him for victory...and remember:
1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
Not I, but CHRIST!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Ro 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Luke, there are many places in the Christian venue you would be rejected. I think this forum is not one of them. I think you are suffering, and it is valid and that you have someplace to talk, to share what you truly feel. I know the worst thing a person can do is to another is turn away from them in time of need. I've been turned away many times and will continue to be. Sometimes we think, all these people can do is quote Scripture at me. That's all we have Luke. No one here has the answer, but we can find where God has the answer, because it is from God is the only place you are going to find the answer, not a human. The main problem with Calvinsim is it is another gospel, it is a gospel where you were saved by being predestinated, and not because of your faith in Jesus Christ.

I John 5:10 ¶ He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Historically, John writes to the 144,000. All Scripture is profitable for doctrine however. The "record" John speaks of is the Scriptures, and from the Scriptures is the only way God is going to speak to you. I think you are a saved man, but considering how Calvinists stand only on their "predestination", you were never rooted and grounded in Scriptural doctrine. "Why, I have been 'predestinated'?" is the answer many Calvinists give me.

Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

I can just imagine the jealous hatred that Satan has for mankind that our hearts are the most wicked thing in creation, and not him. You may have heard these verses before, but I think it will help:

1Jo 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.

I don't think you are Scripturally grounded, brother. Read Romans 10:17 again, all our source of faith comes from the Scriptures. You need to hear The Five Sounds Of Paul:

1Ti 1:10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

Where do we get sound doctrine?

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2Ti 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

When we have been given sound doctrine that removes all fear, we get a sound mind.

2Ti 1:13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

This sound mind will speak and believe sound words.

Tit 1:13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;

Sound words, born of a sound mind grounded in sound doctrine will spread this sound faith, the gospel of Christ, this saving faith.

Tit 1:13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;

With these four foundations, these "sounds", we will bring forth sound speech, it is sound because it cannot be condemned.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Luke, He has given us eternal life with Him, He aslo gave us HIS faith that He had on the cross at Calvary.:

Ga 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Php 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

All our righteousness is as filthy rags. Accept His righteousness and let Him work in your life, through His words.

Grace and peace my friend

Tony
Old 03-24-2009, 02:54 PM

Default Feelings that try to capture you

Quote:

Bro, if you accepted Christ as your Saviour then do not trust in your feelings. Our heart may deceive us into thinking we are not saved. I have experienced that while a new Christian. I have doubts too, however, as I read the bible, I get closer to God and fix my assurance that someday I'll be going to heaven when I die. Remember the Bible says 1 John 5:11-13 and I qoute " And this is the record, that God hath given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life;and he that hath not the Son hath not life.These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God, that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God".

Well, God has a record book, ie. the Bible, this record book say you have eternal life if you receive Christ. This record book also, enables us to know we have eternal life. Of course, we are not feel to be saved but just believe.

God bless

Jude 25
http://www.fredsites.weebly.com