Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleoftheway View Post
Our Body is corruptible, it is not yet complete until it is raised incorruptible.
1 Peter 1:4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

This addresses a fact also that Christians who are "genuinely" born again, cannot be possessed, for we are born of God's spirit, our Souls belong to Him but our Mortal bodies belong to whomever we yield them to, good or evil.
A Christian certainly can "do" evil, but cannot be possessed "by" evil
For the sake of discussion:

Could a Christian's body be possessed, then?

Could we not yield our body to the enemy?

Quote:
Romans 6:19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 10-09-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
For the sake of discussion:

Could a Christian's body be possessed, then?

Could we not yield our body to the enemy?
Yes we can very much so yield our bodies to evil, and yes I believe the body can be possessed by spirits of devils, anyone who has been backslidden turned back to alcohol or drugs etc is housing unclean spirits, what I mean by my previous statement are that for example a Christian cannot "sell" or give up his soul to the devil or evil as it belongs to God and would completely contradict the term "eternal salvation"
Old 10-09-2008, 12:57 PM

2 Corinthians 11:1
Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me.
2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.
3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

The above verses have Paul saying that preaching another jesus results in another spirit ("familiar")much like the one Doxa and her Church experienced
Old 10-09-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
The Spirit is quickened (made alive) when we are born again

Ephesians 2:1,2
"And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:"

the soul before salvation did not have God, before we were saved we did not have the Holy Spirit indwelling, teaching, correcting, rebuking, loving us
Hi Brother Steve. You said, "the soul before salvation did not have God....". Is it more accurate to say, "man's spirit, before salvation did not have God? As you pointed out, Ephesians 2:1-2 says, "And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:"

Is it the "spirit of man" which is quickened, made alive, renewed, reborn, and regenerated? or is it the "soul of man" which is quickened, made alive, renewed, reborn, and regenerated?

The reason I ask, is that my soul, (mind, will, and emotions) still has sinful aspects of the "former conversation the old man". The old man of Romans 6:6, is indeed crucified with Him. But the old man of Ephesians 4:22, and it's former conversation is still a present reality and must be "put off" by appropriating the realities of who and what I am in Christ, by faith. (Ephesians 4 goes on to say: be renewed, put on, put away, sin not, let not, let no, grieve not, and let all.)

It's my understanding that the "soul" is not quickened, made alive, renewed, reborn, and regenerated by the Holy Spirit. The "soul" is certainly filled, taught, reproved, instructed, and convicted by the Holy Spirit operating through our "spirit" by the instrument of God's Word. (I am vehemently opposed to the teaching of "progressive" revelation. That the Holy Spirit will speak to us outside and apart from the preserved written Word of truth, giving "new" revelation.)

The Holy Spirit, abiding in our regenerated spirit, feeds the "soul" the divine influences of God. The "flesh nature" on the other hand, feeds the "soul" the things which are contrary to God's divine influence. Thus the battle. The war between His Spirit and our flesh.

The way I am understanding it, my "soul" (mind, will, emotions) will either yield to the instruction of righteousness from the Holy Spirit which specifically operates through my "spirit" by the Word, or my "soul" will yield to unrighteousness which comes at me through the instruments of my flesh.

I see this as an important doctrine because it helps us to understand our "positional" reality of who and what we are in Christ, and our "operational" reality of who and what we are as mere mortal men who have yet to put on incorruption.

To me, it helps deal with the idea that mortal man can obtain "sinless perfectionism" in his mortal life.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:55 PM

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Once we are saved, our soul belongs then to God, whereas unsaved unregenerate man's soul can still be taken by satan, unless of course that man looks to Christ through faith in his finished work at calvary and becomes born again.

Acts 3:22
For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you.
3 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.

Psalms 121:7 The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.

Quote:
Is it the "spirit of man" which is quickened, made alive, renewed, reborn, and regenerated? or is it the "soul of man" which is quickened, made alive, renewed, reborn, and regenerated?
I think it is the spirit that is renewed, the soul is bought, owned by God, cannot be sold to satan. Although yes, I agree that the soul is the (Mind, will, emotions) and of course we can fault and feel wrong doing in our soul, as the psalmist put it

Psalms 119:28 My soul melteth for heaviness: strengthen thou me according unto thy word.
(Agreed about progressive revelation, the above is a fine example of written word to ease our very souls)

Psalms 119:25 DALETH. My soul cleaveth unto the dust: quicken thou me according to thy word.

Quote:
The Holy Spirit, abiding in our regenerated spirit, feeds the "soul" the divine influences of God. The "flesh nature" on the other hand, feeds the "soul" the things which are contrary to God's divine influence. Thus the battle. The war between His Spirit and our flesh.
Agreed, the war between the flesh and the soul is one we will continue to fight until Christ calls us or comes for us.

1 Peter 2:11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

Though im sure you will agree that although the soul can be influenced by the flesh, once we are born again the soul is Safe. But we still have to struggle with these wretched bodies.

I am quite open on this subject, I have learned something from you already, I by no means have this down as doctrine, settled in my heart.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Agreed, the war between the flesh and the soul is one we will continue to fight until Christ calls us or comes for us.

1 Peter 2:11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

Though I'm sure you will agree that although the soul can be influenced by the flesh, once we are born again the soul is Safe. But we still have to struggle with these wretched bodies.

I am quite open on this subject, I have learned something from you already, I by no means have this down as doctrine, settled in my heart.
Quote:
The battle, as I'm sure you know is between the "flesh" and the "Spirit", not the soul. "For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would" (Galatians 5:17). With that in mind, I ask, Does the Holy Spirit abide, live, and dwell in the reborn "spirit of man" or in the "soul of man"?

Quote:
I agree. To me, the soul of man is in the "middle", so to speak. The Holy Spirit (which is specifically operating in our spirit), feeds the soul the righteous Word of God, and the "flesh" feeds the soul the unrighteousness of the devil. In our soul, (the will) we choose to either yield our members to righteousness or unrighteousness. Thus, we see the "free will" of even a redeemed man.

I'm seeing it like this:

The Holy Spirit, which abides or dwells in our reborn spirit is righteous > The soul - can be either righteous or unrighteous, depending on what it obeys < The flesh nature - always has a propensity to sin and is unrighteous.

Thus, the battle between the Holy Spirit (working through our spirit) and the flesh.

I see our spirit, of the redeemed person, as that part of man that has intimate communion with God and perceives, discerns, and understands the deep truths He gives us in His Word. The "spirit" of a lost person is dead, i.e., alienated from God and, therefore, cannot truly understand spiritual truth in God's Word.

I see the soul of man as that part which can be influenced by either God's righteous and divine instruction through our reborn spirit or by the unrighteous influences through our flesh.

Quote:
Though I'm sure you will agree that although the soul can be influenced by the flesh, once we are born again the soul is Safe. But we still have to struggle with these wretched bodies.
ABSOLUTELY!
Old 10-09-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
The battle, as I'm sure you know is between the "flesh" and the "Spirit", not the soul. "For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would" (Galatians 5:17). With that in mind, I ask, Does the Holy Spirit abide, live, and dwell in the reborn "spirit of man" or in the "soul of man"?
I beg your pardon brother, I hadn't realised I had said soul not spirit

Quote:
I'm seeing it like this:

The Holy Spirit, which abides or dwells in our reborn spirit is righteous > The soul - can be either righteous or unrighteous, depending on what it obeys < The flesh nature - always has a propensity to sin and is unrighteous.

Thus, the battle between the Holy Spirit (working through our spirit) and the flesh.

I see our spirit, of the redeemed person, as that part of man that has intimate communion with God and perceives, discerns, and understands the deep truths He gives us in His Word. The "spirit" of a lost person is dead, i.e., alienated from God and, therefore, cannot truly understand spiritual truth in God's Word.

I see the soul of man as that part which can be influenced by either God's righteous and divine instruction through our reborn spirit or by the unrighteous influences through our flesh.
Yes Sir
Old 10-09-2008, 04:47 PM

Default Re: body, soul, spirit

Aloha brother,

Job 7:17 What is man, that thou shouldest magnify him? and that thou shouldest set thine heart upon him?

Job 15:14 What is man, that he should be clean? and he which is born of a woman, that he should be righteous?

Psalms 8:4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Psalms 144:3 LORD, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him! or the son of man, that thou makest account of him!

I believe that it is good to know about and distinguish between our body, soul and spirit {Our "Substance"}

The Body = {Our Tabernacle or Temple}
The Soul = {Our Individual Essence}
The Spirit = {Our Very Life}

However, there's a whole other side to the equation that I believe is too often overlooked:

The heart, mind, and conscience {Our "Faculties"}

The Heart = {Our "Motivator"}
The Mind = {Our "Facilitator"}
The Conscience = {Our "Regulator"}

We surely are: "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." [Psalms 139:14]
Old 10-09-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Aloha brother,

Job 7:17 What is man, that thou shouldest magnify him? and that thou shouldest set thine heart upon him?

Job 15:14 What is man, that he should be clean? and he which is born of a woman, that he should be righteous?

Psalms 8:4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Psalms 144:3 LORD, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him! or the son of man, that thou makest account of him!

I believe that it is good to know about and distinguish between our body, soul and spirit {Our "Substance"}

The Body = {Our Tabernacle or Temple}
The Soul = {Our Individual Essence}
The Spirit = {Our Very Life}

However, there's a whole other side to the equation that I believe is too often overlooked:

The heart, mind, and conscience {Our "Faculties"}

The Heart = {Our "Motivator"}
The Mind = {Our "Facilitator"}
The Conscience = {Our "Regulator"}

We surely are: "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." [Psalms 139:14]
It's about time you gave some input!

So is the heart, mind, and conscience applicable, depending on the context of scripture, to both the "spirit of man" and "the soul of man"?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:32 PM

Default Re: spirit, soul, body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
It's about time you gave some input!

So is the heart, mind, and conscience applicable, depending on the context of scripture, to both the "spirit of man" and "the soul of man"?
Aloha brother Forrest,

Rather than go into any depth (at this point at least) I would ask you to check out my study on the Biblical Heart of Man on my web site > Under the Title > "The Heart of the Matter": thywordistruthkjv.com

Enclosed therein is an approximately 250 page study on the heart (and the other "Faculties" and "Substance" of man). This study is the result of 6 months of intensive searching and another year of putting it together. {The "Final" study has not been posted to the web site because of some technical difficulties having to do with "Graphics". I would be happy to mail a copy to you should you desire.}

Please read the study first (at least those parts that may be of interest to you), and then we might get into some fruitful discussion, because honestly, I would be the first one to confess that I don't have a complete handle on everything within the study - especially about the "spirit" within man - NOT the Holy Spirit.