Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:50 PM

Jassy, sometimes it sounds like you are me! I've noticed this from back when we first joined this board a day or so apart from each other. Perhaps the Lord will lead you to a home church where someone is proficient in ASL.

Just like I've never before found a church I could attend (since I learned what's what, that is), I have also not found another christian forum that I could stomach. This one is not like any others that I have seen out there. Most of the active guys here have made it into a place where for the most part you can discuss and learn from the word of God without having to sift through garbage to get at it. Praise God for the addition of PaulB, Ripdood, Cloudwalker, and Brother-Smith, among others. And POTW is back, too!

Last edited by greenbear; 07-16-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbear View Post
Jassy, sometimes it sounds like you are me! I've noticed this from back when we first joined this board a day or so apart from each other. Perhaps the Lord will lead you to a home church where someone is proficient in ASL.

Just like I've never before found a church I could attend (since I learned what's what, that is), I have also not found another christian forum that I could stomach. This one is not like any others that I have seen out there. Most of the active guys here have made it into a place where for the most part you can discuss and learn from the word of God without having to sift through garbage to get at it. Praise God for the addition of PaulB, Ripdood, Cloudwalker, and Brother-Smith, among others. And POTW is back, too!
Amen sis! God's hand was in it - as His hand is in the lives of all believers. I am very thankful that we met and it's very interesting that we finally found a Forum that is accountable to the TRUTH and is not afraid to speak it! It's gotta be the hand of God that we joined just a day or so apart and we are so much alike in our beliefs and mindset (on Christ).

I also am praising God for the new additions to the Forum - it is such a blessing to have brothers and sisters that uplift the truth!

Jassy
Old 07-18-2009, 11:14 PM

I've always understood that an "ordinance" is what we would call a ceremony today.

The only 2 ceremonies given for the church age is baptism and the Lord's Supper.

At first glance that is my humble thoughts, but I am interested in looking more into this.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:27 AM

Amanda,

maybe a new set of eyes would do us good. Have you ever found a bible verse in Paul's writings where he tells us how to baptize, when, and most importantly he calls it an ordinance?
Old 07-20-2009, 06:54 AM

Good morning Chette

Quote:
Have you ever found a bible verse in Paul's writings where he tells us how to baptize....?
Paul did not write this, but this passage is a great example of "how" to baptize

Acts 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

John 3:23
And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.

Matthew 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

Water Baptism is to be a figure of the Spirit Baptism...

I Peter 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

At least that is my understanding to the "How"...Looking forward to studying the when and why's
Old 07-20-2009, 08:44 PM

yeah but the Gospel of Philip was the kingdom Gospel you will notice that Eunuch believes Jesus is God not that he died for his sins. the preaching of Jesus from Isa on was still proving that he was the Messiah to fulfill the scriptures that the Gentiles are reached with that gospel through the Jews. next chapter begins a whole new Gospel revelation by Paul.

The reason I asked for one by Paul was so we could establish a absolute on baptism seeing he is the Apostle to the gentile. I do practice it but i do not teach it as an ordinance or that it should be a new believers "first step of obedience" as some do.

I teach is as an Identification.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:21 PM

Greetings Chette,

Quote:
The reason I asked for one by Paul was so we could establish a absolute on baptism seeing he is the Apostle to the gentile. I do practice it but i do not teach it as an ordinance or that it should be a new believers "first step of obedience" as some do.

I teach is as an Identification.
Hmmmm...ok...whatever floats your boat.

Quote:
Gospel of Philip was the kingdom Gospel
The Gospel of Philip!? What is the Gospel of Philip?
It seems all the world to me that he was preaching the death, burial and resurrection of Christ?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:32 PM

Greetings Chette

We will have to disagree on the "gospel of Philip"...I do understand that Acts is a transistion book but there is no gospel of Philip in my opinion.

But, even so, I still think the verses I quoted apply.

Acts 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

I find it hard to believe that Paul changed "how" to baptize and see nothing that suggests he did.