Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

View Poll Results: What Bible(s) Do You agree With (Approve Of)?
All versions 0 0%
All versions
0 0%
All versions no matter what text they use as long as they translate it as best as possible 2 10.53%
All versions no matter what text they use as long as they translate it as best as possible
2 10.53%
All versions that come from the TR 1 5.26%
All versions that come from the TR
1 5.26%
Only the KJV1611 4 21.05%
Only the KJV1611
4 21.05%
All KJV editions 10 52.63%
All KJV editions
10 52.63%
Only the Pure Cambridge Edition 1 5.26%
Only the Pure Cambridge Edition
1 5.26%
None of the above (please explain) 1 5.26%
None of the above (please explain)
1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
Brother, I am just responding to your seemingly contradictory statement concerning the accuracy of the KJB. Either the TR family or the AT family is false or corrupted. They cannot be seen as mutually acceptable.
I think that no one truly knows which ones are more accurate. Plus, non of the texts that make up either agree on everything. Which one is better? I don't think either but I could not say that I am right on that. You stand by the TR and others stand by the AT. I feel neither are wrong to translate from and both do have error.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 11-03-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_Thought View Post
I think that no one truly knows which ones are more accurate. Plus, non of the texts that make up either agree on everything. Which one is better? I don't think either but I could not say that I am right on that. You stand by the TR and others stand by the AT. I feel neither are wrong to translate from and both do have error.
If so, then did God not preserve His words? If He did, like He promised, then where are those words at?
Old 11-03-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1171611 View Post
If so, then did God not preserve His words? If He did, like He promised, then where are those words at?
Psa 119:89 LAMED. For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.

God's Word has always been and always will be. He never promised us we would always have it on paper or in the English tongue.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Psa 119:89 LAMED. For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.

God's Word has always been and always will be. He never promised us we would always have it on paper or in the English tongue.
So we have to muddle through a whole bunch of incomplete, incoherent, disagreeing manuscripts (disorder) in order to find out what an orderly God said? It's all up to scholarly peoples' opinions as to what truth is? God is not the author (i.e. "writer") of confusion; why on earth would He have created such a jumbled-up mess of nonsense?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
So we have to muddle through a whole bunch of incomplete, incoherent, disagreeing manuscripts (disorder) in order to find out what an orderly God said? It's all up to scholarly peoples' opinions as to what truth is? God is not the author (i.e. "writer") of confusion; why on earth would He have created such a jumbled-up mess of nonsense?
Why do a bunch of people in Africa go to Hell never once hearing the Plan of Salvation? I do not know but God sure was good to us by letting us have the Bible we do have.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Why do a bunch of people in Africa go to Hell never once hearing the Plan of Salvation? I do not know but God sure was good to us by letting us have the Bible we do have.
Even though they might not have the Bible, they do have information, all around them:

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened." (Romans 1:18-21)

Even the 'heathens' in Africa know about God, and are without excuse.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
But God did not promise to send the Gospel to everyone that ever lived. He did, however, promise to preserve His pure words forever. He said that He was written of in the volume of the book, that His words are Scripture, that Timothy had the Scriptures, ad nauseum.

*insert beat-a-dead-horse smiley here*
Old 11-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn1
Wow. That is the (per)version that I received from the United Church as a ten year old kid, in grade 5 Sunday School (1978). I never really looked at it because even at that young, and for me spiritually ignorant age, I knew that it wasn't really the Bible.

I also got my Gideon's NASB New Testament that year, and that's the first one I read, and where early seeds were planted that led to my conversion at age 29.

I think unwavering devotion to the KJV as God's pure word is something He grants to some of us anyway, only as we spiritually mature. "For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required:" Luke 12:48
That's very interesting, kittn. My big sister gave me a copy of "Good News for Modern Man" about a month before I was saved. It intrigued me for awhile, but, like you, I knew instinctually that it wasn't a "real Bible."

Fascinating....
Old 11-04-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
But God did not promise to send the Gospel to everyone that ever lived. He did, however, promise to preserve His pure words forever. He said that He was written of in the volume of the book, that His words are Scripture, that Timothy had the Scriptures, ad nauseum.

*insert beat-a-dead-horse smiley here*
Old 11-04-2008, 08:30 AM

On the matter of "what about natives in the African jungle who have never heard" I say that's where missions comes in. We have missionaries in the jungles of Guyana planting churches and training national pastors and if you look at the number of missionaries in Africa, for example, I believe there's more there than in France or Italy, where Catholicism is predominant.

I don't have stats to back that statement, however; I came to that conclusion from a quick glance through the websites of the missions boards I'm familiar with.

Apparently a new tribe has been discovered in Borneo. Well, if someone can go discover them, it's not too difficult for the Lord to send someone to evangelize them.