Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:29 AM
jerry

The Bible does not teach we do not need to obey any laws in Scripture - nor that we do not have to do any works. What it does teach is that the OT Law shows us that we are sinners in need of Saviour, and that there are no works we can do to merit salvation. However, as believers we are still required to obey the 10 commandments and the precepts in God's Word - if an OT command does not directly apply, there is still a principle or precept from it that does. There are many verses that teach believers (those who are saved) are to do good works in service to the Lord.

The Holy Spirit teaches through His Word, not apart from it.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-11-2008, 12:56 AM

Hi, I'm a bit quiet and didn't involve so much in the discussion...I want to learn from what all you have to say on this issue - Biblically. I found an article by a Pentecostal preacher, which seems interesting:

Praise Dance, Worship Dance — Is It for the Church?
By Pastor Jim Feeney, Ph.D.

What some Christians call “praise and worship dance” is practiced in a number churches today. Those that encourage Christian praise dancing usually are Pentecostal or charismatic churches.

I personally have a number of friends in Christian ministry who encourage worship dance as a New Testament truth. Some even create a specific “praise dance ministry” in their churches. These are good men, and I genuinely respect the sincerity of their beliefs on this subject. However, in the light of the Scriptures, I do not share their conclusion that dancing in church is a biblical worship form for New Testament believers.

In the balance of this study, I would like to share from Scripture why I do not believe that God has established praise dancing as a worship form in the New Testament...

Here is the link to his full article:
http://www.jimfeeney.org/dancingasworship.html
Old 02-11-2008, 01:02 AM

Hello Chete777,
The testimony you shared was challenging. Where do you live in Palawan? It was in Cuyo, Palawan that I preached without a microphone in open-air, which caused me to have a vocal cord polyp - unfortunately. I might be visiting there in the main island in October.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:20 AM

hey Bible student

I am in Puerto Princesa City. we did open air in the new market utill all our equipment failed. now we are getting ready to go back. so many people have been asking us to return.

your welcome to stay with us if you need a place to throw your bag. LOL

your friend Chette
Old 02-11-2008, 01:24 AM

Jerry

law is law ten commandments or nine if you like. they are all law. I live under the law of Liberty. and the Holy Spirit and my KJV BIble teach me quite a bit. like Gen 1:1 is past tense when up comes verse 2 and it is present active. In the English that is.

have fun
Old 02-11-2008, 01:42 AM

Jerry,

don't put words in my mouth OK. we are without law and works that would give us Gods Favor. but the christian is saved for good works that God has prepared for them to walk in and we are to maintain good works but non of that is meant to keep us in a right relationship with God or gain his favor. my good works are not to repay him for what he has done but for a reward promised me when I get to heaven. thenI will lay all those crowns at my Saviour Jesus Feet for he made it all possible for me.

I have all of Gods favor at any moment his over flowing blessing continually as long as I am rightly related with him not just in Christ but confessed up of my sinfulness.

and even if I sin God still is blessing me to the max you know why. because His son died on the cross for me and you to give us all his favor (grace) and blessings. he never cuts me off. it is I who cut my self off by sin and pride.

yes the Princibles of the OT law are in the NT they are restated and they are impossible for you to do unless filled and led, and guided and taught by the Holy Ghost.

blessing bro.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:20 PM

Somebody sent to me a link to a video of a Christian singer with back up dancers showing their belly buttons. Is this what modern Christians say "using their talents for the Lord"? I also read in one article of "belly dancing" in church (!).
Old 03-01-2008, 08:05 PM
jerry

Hm, maybe they need to actually read their Bibles. Mine says that to uncover/expose the loins (the belly area) is nakedness.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:32 AM
Why I Eyes Ya!

Default Worrying word....

I know I'm a latecomer to this thread, but what I found slightly concerning was the following quote:

"Churches around us here even adopted the idea to have a ballet dance ("interpretative" dance) as an "invocation". What do ye say?"

The word 'invocation' has no Biblical basis though it is well linked with the occult/spiritist practices and paganism (satanism). What/who are these churches trying to invoke?

As a former occultist, I find this trend (along with 'visions'/'contemplative prayer'/so-called 'christian yoga') quite disturbing.

However, we shouldn't be surprised, the Bible does warn us of such things.

Anyway, just an aside!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:11 AM
jerry

Doesn't the word invocation mean something like calling a spirit forth, making it appear? We call on God's name, but we don't make Him appear - by dancing or rituals. He is omnipresent.