Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Mikie View Post
...and another verse that shows we are still learning and don't have it 100% correct on all issues:

1 Corinthians 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

1 Corinthians 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
1 Corinthians 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

When?

1 Corinthians 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

In part - tongues, prophecies, miracles, knowledge
perfect - completed revelation of the Word of God

We don't need the "in part" gifts now, since the FULL-FILLED word of God NOW is made MANIFEST. It's no longer looking in a glass darkly. It is now CRYSTAL CLEAR.
Colossians 1:25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;
26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:

The PERFECT WORD OF GOD has now come and is profitable. The "in part" gifts is of no profit at all.
We are NOW to PUT AWAY CHILDISH THINGS. We have "all Scripture" (that which is complete; that which is PERFECT) to make us A MAN, COMPLETE IN CHRIST, AND "PERFECT".
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-26-2008, 09:12 AM

Corinth is a carnal church, composed of babes, playing with childish things. Why stay there. Grow up to manhood (2 Tim. 3:16,17).
Old 03-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Revangelist

1 Corinthians 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

I don't believe the "that which is perfect" is identified. It is used as an illustration. Charity never fails.

Some have tried to make "that which is perfect" either the Bible or Jesus Christ. I don't believe it is referring to either. The context for that interpretation just isn't there. The context is charity.

Also, if prophecy and tongues are to go away, then knowledge should also. But, that isn't what it says. It's telling us that Charity is forever. It will be in heaven. Tongues, prophecies aren't necessary in heaven. And we will have full knowledge, not partial. "That which is perfect" is in the context of "for instance".
Old 03-26-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revangelist View Post
[I]
Also, if prophecy and tongues are to go away, then knowledge should also. But, that isn't what it says. It's telling us that Charity is forever. It will be in heaven. Tongues, prophecies aren't necessary in heaven. And we will have full knowledge, not partial. "That which is perfect" is in the context of "for instance".
That isn't what it says? That is what it SAYS.
Knowledge SHALL VANISH AWAY. You know what kind of "knowledge" that is? It's the "IN PART" gift of knowledge where you have automatic knowledge without having learned it.
Now, it's different when you're preaching and that you wonder where you got what comes from your mouth. I've experienced that. But that is NOT gift of knowledge. See Acts 5. Do you have that? Do you know "what I did last summer"?

Also, can't find "for instance" in 1 Corinthians 13 in the KJV.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 AM
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revangelist View Post
1 Corinthians 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

Context - yowza, you just contradicted the Bible again with your interpretation.

What is the knowledge spoken of in this context? The gift of knowledge - the whole passage is dealing with the sign gifts, and they will be done away when that which is perfect comes. Nowhere is God saying all knowledge will be done away - but the gift of knowledge - and He quite clearly states THAT will be done away with.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Revangelist

I guess I need to respond in kind...

My interpretation is correct. I stand by it. No matter what "Baptist Doctrine" teaches. Too bad so many of you are following the "party line". I've stated my belief and the Scriptural support. If you disagree with me, you can. So in fairness, I believe you are in error, but, no matter. I know I won't change your minds and I don't fee threatened by your disagreement. The gifts I've received from the Lord came from the Lord. I didn't get them from you, so you can't take them away. I will say that "George" is better to communicate with. I don't mind my "disagreements" with him. He doesn't seem to be hiding behind "cliches".
Old 03-28-2008, 02:53 PM
jerry

I stood where I stand now on the sign gifts long before I ever knew what a Baptist was.

P.S. What is wrong with supposedly quoting the "Baptist party line"? Obviously you are quoting the Pentecostal/Charismatic party line, and don't see a problem with that. The party line doesn't matter - what does the Bible say?
Old 03-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Revangelist

Jerry, I stand corrected. Also, I learned my "Pentecostalism" from personal Bible study. I got in trouble as a young Christian quoting a teaching without verifying it Scripturally myself. So from then on, I searched out these things for myself, because I wanted to know what "all the fuss was about" concerning tongues, and other sign-gifts as they are called.

I came to the conclusion that since I couldn't find ANYWHERE in the Bible where God ever took them away, they must still be available from the Holy Ghost (despite what abuses have taken place, we're talking about legitimacy, not how they are misused, and I agree they are misused and abused).
Old 03-28-2008, 07:35 PM

I am a Baptist, but I'm not as any other Baptist. If Baptists go with the Word of God, I go with Baptists. If they go against the Word of God, I go against them. So far 1 Corinthians 13:8-10 has been one of the hot issues in this forum, and we see at least "three interpretations" of it. I'm sure there will be some who'll get the truth soon.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Revangelist

Biblestudent, let me interpret what "I'm sure there will be some who'll get the truth soon." means to me: "I'm sure there will be some who will agree with me soon". That is what I call a "God Almighty" statement and that is the kind of thing I object to. Your interpretation is not the standard.