Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:35 AM
gruvEdude

Default Westcott and Hort's Magic Marker Binge

Referred by an AV1611 moderator to this site, I posted on a Westcott and Hort discussion site :
Quote:
This seems technical for me, but I thought you might be interested in discussing Westcott and Hort's Magic Marker Binge. I plan on following the discussion in case more sense will be made.
Any intelligent response here or at that site?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-20-2008, 04:56 AM
gruvEdude

Default the W & H responses

I decided to include responses, but went over the AV1611 ten minute edit limit. Anywho, the responses are:

amarillo--
Quote:
rather than any serious discussion of Westcott-Hort per se, this resembles a rather juvenile attack on the text of Scriptures using a KJBO approach.
Armchair Scholar--
Quote:
Yaaawn
Ed Edwards--
Quote:
Three year olds like to tear down block towers that adults build.
Six year olds like to tear down block towers that they build themselves.

Obviously three-year-old stuff.
Does anybody want to talk about these things verse by verse? Then we would have to study the Bible, apparently something that KJVOs don't bother to do very much.

One thing I don't like about such lists, it is work to look up data that the original writer had in front of them. Which MV reads this way? Why do I have to wade through a dozen Modern Versions to find the one quoted? Why do I have to wade through a half-dozen KJVs to find the KJV being quoted? Don't they know there are still Bereans left around? We are NOT all Thessaloníki you know. I believe ALL SCRIPTURE means my TNIV, NIV, HCSB, NASB, NLT, Geneva Bible, etc.
Armchair Scholar--
Quote:
How about we do a line by line comparison of Gail Riplinger's so-called quotations of Westcott and Hort with the actual biographies she states she used to obtain those quotations...eh? That's what good Berean KJOs should do. Until they do, they are unarmed and arguing with unarmed people is not only unfair but BORING. The real meat of the issue is in looking at what Westcott and Hort REALLY said in their books and seeing that a well-known KJO teacher has both lied to Christians and slandered the brethren. I have the proof that GAR has lied about W & H. Do you?
Ed Edwards--
Quote:
Dyslexics of the World UNTIE! How about we do a line by line comparison of Gail Riplinger's so-called quotations of Westcott and Hort with the actual biographies she states she used to obtain those quotations...eh?//

That is no fun One has to search and search and never find it -- lots of pain, no gain.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Forum Administrator

Interesting. Instead of responding to the question/challenge in that post, you post the link on another forum and then copy in their replies here -- none of which actually refute the information presented, of course.

You need to do two things: 1. Acknowledge that the Greek text that underlies the modern translations represents a significant abridgement of the true text of the NT, and 2., learn why certain verses have been attacked, revised, and deleted.

The Magic Marker Binge is just a primer and is conclusive proof that the differences between Bible verses is not just about what is "easier to read," which is what you were claiming in the other thread and why I referred you to it.

I believe that those willing to be corrected on this issue can be persuaded simply by comparing the KJV to modern versions, because God's word speaks plainly by itself and someone with discernment should be able to identify the counterfeit.

However, more information is available to you. To learn the history -- the why between the different lines of Bible texts and translations, you only need to read a couple of books on the subject. My top recommendations are here.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:45 PM
ploughboy

Default Very well put.

Very well put Brandon. Amen

Ploughboy
Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 PM
gruvEdude

Did you notice that I said that the Binge
Quote:
seems technical for me
? That is the reason for going to the Westcott and Hort forum that I am aware of.

What I can't figure out is why God's word would be of "Biblical" language which seem to contradict the original Koine Greek, the language of the common people, text that was used in the original New Testament. It makes God seem like such a good Pharisee.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:20 PM
jerry

What are you talking about? The NT was in Koine (which means "common") Greek, which was the common language of Greek-speaking people. It is different than Classic Greek, which was spoken quite a bit before this.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvEdude View Post
Referred by an AV1611 moderator to this site, I posted on a Westcott and Hort discussion site :

Any intelligent response here or at that site?

Magic Marker Binge,, Thanks for the smile, never heard it that way before.....
Old 02-20-2008, 09:53 PM
ploughboy

Default Common language Bible

I think what gruvEdude is saying is, if the New testament is in common greek, should not the Bible for today be in common language... I think

Ploughboy
Old 02-20-2008, 10:12 PM
jerry

Common language doesn't mean dumbed down or slang (not saying that is what anyone here is referring to). But even Peter stated that there are passages even in the NT that contain things hard to be understood. There is a difference between using modern words and changing the meaning, which is what we see in the mv's.