Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:57 AM

Default Is Shelton Smith a Bible-Believer?

The question is simple. Do you consider Dr. Shelton Smith, Editor of the Sword of the Lord, to be a true King James Bible-believer?

Now before you answer, please read this article by Shelton Smith:

http://swordofthelord.com/issueandconflict.htm

No this is not a set up or anything. And yes I have an answer of my own to the question (which I will share at some point on this thread). But I am really interested in the consensus of other Bible-believers out there concerning Shelton Smith's position on the KJB.

God bless.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Rodriguez View Post
The question is simple. Do you consider Dr. Shelton Smith, Editor of the Sword of the Lord, to be a true King James Bible-believer?

Now before you answer, please read this article by Shelton Smith:

http://swordofthelord.com/issueandconflict.htm

No this is not a set up or anything. And yes I have an answer of my own to the question (which I will share at some point on this thread). But I am really interested in the consensus of other Bible-believers out there concerning Shelton Smith's position on the KJB.

God bless.
This page reads good, but I take it there is more and I will be waiting to read your response on it.

Grace and peace

Tony
Old 05-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Forum Administrator

I can't imagine why this question would be asked if there were not another shoe about to drop.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:35 PM

I don't really care to be honest.. when you start separating from people who are fundamental, non calvinist, Bible believers who happen to differ on a small point (such as whether they think the Greek and Hebrew are also the word of God today), you end up eliminating a lot of potential friends, and find yourself alone in the battlefield. The Christian warfare is more than just holding a King James Bible.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
I can't imagine why this question would be asked if there were not another shoe about to drop.
Well I guess I better give my opinion because I really don't have something up my sleeve. I just really want to know what others opinions are on Shelton Smith's position on the KJB.

Personally, I say YES. He is a Bible-believer according to what he wrote in the article. However, I keep hearing from others that Shelton Smith is not a Bible-believer or that he is just taking a compromising position on the KJB that doesn't go far enough. Yet this doesn't jive with what I'm reading in Shelton Smith's writings. So the reason I made this thread is simply to hear (read) the opinion of some of the good brethren here as to what it is that they may think Shelton Smith is lacking in his position that would qualify him to be a true KJB believer (all the way - 100%). Because again, I'm reading his stuff and he is clearly stating that he believes the KJB is the inspired, infallible, preserved, pure words of God in English. So what is that I'm missing?
Old 05-20-2009, 07:55 PM

It depends who you ask. From my experience, it seems that those who don't follow the Ruckman/Gipp/Walker/Stauffer crowd in rightly dividing, are labelled as not real Bible believers. I tend to stay away from that kind of division.

On the flipside, Shelton smith would probably deny those men fellowship, on the grounds of their rightly dividing.

I myself don't care. I agree with most when it comes to rightly dividing, but I don't want to distance myselves from those conservative believers who are free grace, yet don't believe in rightly dividing.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 PM

Manny, the most notable observation that I made was that the KJB does not appear to be his final authority. He steps back to the original languages to define his words, and he is far too broad with his position on the TR. I would venture to say that if asked, he would defer to the extant original language manuscripts over the KJB. He also does not indicate any exclusivity with respect to other English versions.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
It depends who you ask. From my experience, it seems that those who don't follow the Ruckman/Gipp/Walker/Stauffer crowd in rightly dividing, are labelled as not real Bible believers. I tend to stay away from that kind of division.

On the flipside, Shelton smith would probably deny those men fellowship, on the grounds of their rightly dividing.

I myself don't care. I agree with most when it comes to rightly dividing, but I don't want to distance myselves from those conservative believers who are free grace, yet don't believe in rightly dividing.
Bro. Luke, I agree. I believe as one preacher friend of mine said that if at the end of the day we are standing for the KJB we are on the same team though we may differ on some details and mechanics.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Rodriguez View Post
Well I guess I better give my opinion because I really don't have something up my sleeve. I just really want to know what others opinions are on Shelton Smith's position on the KJB.

Personally, I say YES. He is a Bible-believer according to what he wrote in the article. However, I keep hearing from others that Shelton Smith is not a Bible-believer or that he is just taking a compromising position on the KJB that doesn't go far enough. Yet this doesn't jive with what I'm reading in Shelton Smith's writings. So the reason I made this thread is simply to hear (read) the opinion of some of the good brethren here as to what it is that they may think Shelton Smith is lacking in his position that would qualify him to be a true KJB believer (all the way - 100%). Because again, I'm reading his stuff and he is clearly stating that he believes the KJB is the inspired, infallible, preserved, pure words of God in English. So what is that I'm missing?
Manny, every man or ministry has it's supporters and detractors. If you go to Dr. Ruckman's website you can download his monthly bulletin in .pdf file back to the year 2004. For a number of months he ran a series about Smith that seems to contradict this page and statement you posted. You can read Doc Pete's stuff and also Google Smith on this topic. I don't read SOTL simply because I guess, and this may be a character flaw in me and possibly arrogance on my part, I consider my Biblical study and conclusions to be quite a bit advanced beyond what they teach and what their doctrine is. John Rice was a good man but he made no secret of his love for his ASV and though he was a light year wide on his topics he was maybe a half inch deep. Christianity is not a lifestyle, Christianity is warfare. Curtis Hutson didn't care for any kind of conflict or rebuke. Jack Hyles? Fugettaboutit. You couldn;t get me within 20 light years of Hyles. I thought the man was a Pharisee and if Nixon had had Hyles in charge of the Watergate coverup, Nixon would be remembered with praise rather than condemnation.

I'm like Luke brother Manny. I tend to interact and make value judgments on Christians on an individual basis. If you locate any information that runs contrary to this statement of Smith's I'm sure many would be interested in seeing it.

Grace and peace to you

Tony
Old 05-20-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybones2112 View Post
Manny, every man or ministry has it's supporters and detractors. If you go to Dr. Ruckman's website you can download his monthly bulletin in .pdf file back to the year 2004. For a number of months he ran a series about Smith that seems to contradict this page and statement you posted. You can read Doc Pete's stuff and also Google Smith on this topic. I don't read SOTL simply because I guess, and this may be a character flaw in me and possibly arrogance on my part, I consider my Biblical study and conclusions to be quite a bit advanced beyond what they teach and what their doctrine is. John Rice was a good man but he made no secret of his love for his ASV and though he was a light year wide on his topics he was maybe a half inch deep. Christianity is not a lifestyle, Christianity is warfare. Curtis Hutson didn't care for any kind of conflict or rebuke. Jack Hyles? Fugettaboutit. You couldn;t get me within 20 light years of Hyles. I thought the man was a Pharisee and if Nixon had had Hyles in charge of the Watergate coverup, Nixon would be remembered with praise rather than condemnation.

I'm like Luke brother Manny. I tend to interact and make value judgments on Christians on an individual basis. If you locate any information that runs contrary to this statement of Smith's I'm sure many would be interested in seeing it.

Grace and peace to you

Tony
Actually, I've already read what Dr. Ruckman said in the very editions of the BBB that you referred to, which is part of the reason why I brought up this thread. I see what others say about Shelton Smith and than I read what Shelton Smith himself writes about what he believes in plain English and the two just don't jive.

And I do agree with you and Luke that people should be judged on an individual basis. Trust me, I've spoken in almost 100 churches in the past year and a half and I know quite well the error of judging people based on their camp, college, circle of friends, etc.