General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Bro. Parrish

Default Got a hobby or sport that you love?

Got a hobby or sport that you love?
post it up, maybe we have something in common...

I'll get things started,
one of the things I like to do with my kids is riding our Sea-Doos out on the lakes. We love getting out on the water, always gives me a chance to reflect on God and His many blessings. It's good clean fun too; these crazy things are a blast; 215 horsepower supercharged engines, 0-60 in about 5 or 6 seconds, they top out at nearly 70 mph... here are a couple of shots of my son having some fun in the sun...

The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 06-27-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish View Post

I'll get things started,
one of the things I like to do with my kids is riding our Sea-Doos out on the lakes. We love getting out on the water, always gives me a chance to reflect on God and His many blessings. It's good clean fun too; these crazy things are a blast; 215 horsepower supercharged engines, 0-60 in about 5 or 6 seconds, they top out at nearly 70 mph... here are a couple of shots of my son having some fun in the sun...

Brother Parrish, in the 1970s-early 1980s I was quite an avid semi professional drag racer, I ran Dodges and Plymouths in Outlaw class. I've built plastic models since I was four years old, my interest in the last 20 years has settled into armored vehicles/artillery pieces. The hobby shop I do most business with has for years sold me items that were returned for missing parts. I buy the kit at a fraction of retail and make the part that's missing. I competed locally at several hobby shops. I repaired my mothers dolls in her collection and later found this useful in repairing human heads when I worked as a mortician.

My main hobby of the last 5 or 6 years in duplicating Plains Indians artifacts. I made my own bow and make my own arrows. I make knives, warclubs, spears, that type thing, mostly I reproduce items they used in day to day life. I made my own set of bone needles and sew with animal sinew. Raw materials can be found at Moscow Hide and Furs and Eidenes Furs, both in Idaho. What people spend for one bottle of whiskey I can keep myself in bones and feathers and beads for six months. One you get into the groove of the American Indian's technology and craftsmanship, it can be a fascinating and satisfying hobby.

We have concealed carry for handguns in Ohio, I asked a local deputy if you got the permit, did you have to carry a gun? He said he didn't know, what did I want to carry? I told him, a tomahawk, and the look he gave me was what we used to call in high school, "precious".

I agree with you, if you have a hobby you enjoy, it's something that can become second nature to you and give you a great deal of time to focus and think.

Grace and peace brother

Tony
Old 06-27-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
My hobby is video editing and digital filmmaking: http://www.johnsonimagineering.com/
Old 06-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybones2112 View Post
We have concealed carry for handguns in Ohio, I asked a local deputy if you got the permit, did you have to carry a gun? He said he didn't know, what did I want to carry? I told him, a tomahawk, and the look he gave me was what we used to call in high school, "precious".
Grace and peace brother

Tony
HA HAHAAA!!!! okay Tony that is some funny stuff brother, I know we have our doctrinal squabbles, but I have to say you strike me as a very creative person with a lot of talent. My brother got into making the indian artifacts for a while, he is an avid hunter and gets a lot of his bone, horn and feathers from his game kills. That does seem like a cool hobby and I wish I could have seen the deputy's face.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by geologist View Post
My hobby is video editing and digital filmmaking: http://www.johnsonimagineering.com/
Very cool bro, that is one big satellite dish!
Old 06-27-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
HA HAHAAA!!!! okay Tony that is some funny stuff brother, I know we have our doctrinal squabbles, but I have to say you strike me as a very creative person with a lot of talent. My brother got into making the indian artifacts for a while, he is an avid hunter and gets a lot of his bone, horn and feathers from his game kills. That does seem like a cool hobby and I wish I could have seen the deputy's face.
Brother, I'm sorry if I offended you, or were harsh with you. If there is anything in the forum I have said that has hurt you in any way, tell me what it is and I'll do what needs to be done or whatever you want done, to make it right. There is no excuse for offensiveness or harshness, I have a home situation that's very hard, I have no right to let that cause me to be harsh or stern with you or anyone. There are many times here, as you know yourself, we have to stern and matter of fact, as with people like Tandi, let's agree to disagree, let's examine each other's positions, but not be like Paul and Barnabas over Mark, and then move on. You say what you feel led to say to me and don't feel inhibited. I reacted several times to you wrongly, I've reacted maybe several times to others wrongly. Again, I'm sorry. You or any person on this forum were on the street with me, and someone threw something as they often do on the street, I'd put myself between what was thrown and you. I took my eyes a few times off why I felt I was in this forum and looked at me a little too much. Let's just try and make this the best Bible forum on the web.

Brother, I like to create things. God is many things to many people, to me one of the many things is He is a Craftsman. Mom and Dad both were talented at making things, I just learned. I love to reproduce Indian artifacts that were used prior to the mid 1870s when they were confined on reservations. I got tired of merely making things, I like to reproduce things. Many like to make a skinning knife, I like to make a Cheyenne, Arapaho, or Sioux skinning knife from the shoulderblade of a buffalo. I've got one shoulderblade here I been making things from for 4 years, they are about $10-$15 cleaned, around 5 if you get them from a bison farm where they are harvested for meat. It's a cheap hobby too, one that don't take much investment.

I'll read the FAQ section here and then post some pictures of my work.

Grace and peace brother

Tony
Old 06-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Bro. Parrish

Tony, no worries... we are all human and I just feel we KJV people need to stick together, I have never felt anger at you (yes, I have felt like skinning Bro. Chette once or twice, but I repented). Do post the photos I think everyone would enjoy seeing your craftsmanship.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:50 AM

BroParish,

We would know what your hobbies are if you would of added it to your profile when you joined the forum.

well you never did repent of what you did to me nor did you ever say you were sorry for giving me a curse disguised as a blessing in the Kent Hovind update thread James 3:10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. but you repented of wanting to skin me. I find that hard to believe.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Bro. Parrish

Tony, you were talking about the shoulderblade of the Buffalo,
now I have to tell you a story about a Buffalo...

Years ago I went out to the Northwest to visit my brother, and he took us to this little animal park. The park had a little tram that went around the place, kinda like the one at Disney World, and they would carry passengers on this little wildlife safari, but it was mostly North American animals; bald eagles, deer and so forth.

Well we got out in this open area and we see this big old Buffalo up on a grassy hill. Now I was raised on a farm so I am used to cows and bulls, but this guy was big. All of a sudden here comes this buffalo after us. I'll tell you at first I thought he was looking for a feed, but we soon realized maybe this guy was MAD, because he is CHARGING AT US and I thought he was going to ram us. I was expecting something like a scene out of Mel Gibson's Road Warrior. People started moving to the other side of the tram, this thing gets right up to the side of the tram and puts the brakes on, it was HUGE and just staring at us. Now that I look back, I think maybe the goofy Buffalo was just playing a game, but the women on the tram started screaming and my brother and I were laughing like crazy... finally he settled down, which made everyone happy and off we went. The whole thing only lasted for a few seconds, and I'm sure over the years my memory has made it more than it was, but I to this day have a lot more respect for the American Buffalo.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:08 PM

I like to knit, and sometimes I teach knitting classes, too.
I visit Ravelry a lot.
I also love to take photos of God's nature.

A couple of my photos: