Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:59 PM

Thank you for your interpretations, examples straight from the scripture, and for your personal testimony Brother George. Be assured it has been of value to me.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 06-03-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post

There are 3 basic “interpretations” for these verses:

1. Women are not to speak at all in a church (an assembly – not a building).

2. Women are not to preach or teach God’s word in a church (i.e. speak to the assembly of Christians in regards to preaching or teaching God’s word).

3. Women are not to speak in tongues at all in a church (an assembly – not a building).

[/SIZE]
I think I am still leaning to #1 of these basic interpretations. If we were allowed to speak (in the general sense), then why couldn't we ask the pastor or anyone else questions about the sermon? Why does the Bible specify:

"And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." 1 Corinthians 14:35

It seems to mean it is a shame to speak at all, not just preaching.

Actually, it seems quite clear to me now because 1 Corinthians 14:35 seems to speak of a regular female church-goer trying to learn FROM the pastor...not trying to preach herself.

If this is truly what is taught, I am fine with it, I just need to find a way to obey. If someone says "Hello", I do what? Should I move to a different church? I don't know any Christian churches where women don't speak at all.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN G View Post
1 Cor. 11:10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
This means a woman should either have long hair(longer than a man's), or she should wear some type of hat or covering on her head, when she is in church.
I used to wear a lacy veil over the back of my head, when in a local baptist church, and I got laughed at and stared at a lot.
So, the extremely short hair cuts on some women are not acceptable to God, right?
Old 06-04-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie ha-lakh View Post
If this is truly what is taught, I am fine with it, I just need to find a way to obey. If someone says "Hello", I do what? Should I move to a different church? I don't know any Christian churches where women don't speak at all.
Just smile, and nod your head, then look away.
A woman should be careful to honor herself, and her marriage, especially if her husband does not attend with her.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:57 AM

I think these woman preachers and priests are an abomination.
Even my husband is disgusted by women preachers.
It's not natural for a woman to be the boss over a man. The woman needs to learn how to submit to her husband, unless, the husband tells her to do something completely unChristlike.

Right? This is a real land mine of a subject. We've been told since the 50's that women should not stay at home, that they should not be housewives, blah blah blah, and I for one, am a little confused about the proper care of a marriage.

Speaking of marriage, what do you all think about homosexual unions being called marriage?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:12 PM

I believe women are to keep their hair long, men are to keep theirs short. Also, I do not like the idea of calling a homosexual union "marriage." To tell you the truth, I don't even like homosexual "unions" but I guess they can do what they want and it'll never be a marriage in God's eyes.

I don't understand what some people think marriage is if they also don't have a problem with divorce. Is it somehow less likely to lose someone once you marry them...even if they don't believe in the God they are making a vow to/don't have a relationship with Someone (God) who will hold them accountable if they do decide to leave?

Where do we get our morals? God and His Word. Who has power over us and holds us accountable when we forget these morals? God and His Word. So why would you care what you do/what you do to others if you don't believe in a God?
Old 06-05-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie ha-lakh View Post
So why would you care what you do/what you do to others if you don't believe in a God?

This is one of the reasons why liberals hold on to evolution, and promote abortion, assisted suicide, and euthanasia. They do not want to believe people have eternal souls, nor do they feel people are made in the image of God.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:47 AM

Default Headcoverings.....

Good Morning from campsite in the Smoky Mountains,
I hope this note finds ye well.
I submit the context of 1 Cor. 11:1-16 points to a physical headcovering/veil instead of hair. “Long hair” really doesn’t make sense in the context. If it is just “hair” then praying men should all have their heads shaved. That doesn’t make much sense either. A physical headcovering seems to make the most sense in the context. History seems to favor this view as well. Virtually all commentators before 1800 wrote of a physical headcovering. I bet most of your Christian great-grandmothers wore hats or headcoverings to church. When men are asked to remove their hats for prayer at a ballgame or nascar race in 2009, think 1 Cor. 11.
My beautiful wife (who knows my position on the matter) doesn’t wear one very much and I don’t force her. She may wear one in private without my knowledge. Forced respect (honor v.5) is not really respect, like “earned” grace is not really grace. However, if I see a man praying with a hat on, I will probably (and have before) approach him because he is dishonoring Christ. Probably ignorantly, but nonetheless dishonoring my King. Further, orthodox Jewish men still pray with their heads covered. Christian women have worn headcoverings for the last 2000 years and continue to this day in obedience to 1 Cor. 11:1-16. I humbly submit it is the historically orthodox position.

Blessings to you and yours,
JOHN G

Isa 40:8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.