General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biblestudent View Post
Thanks, Brother Chette!
I'll show this to my men. (You know, gardening and fishing is not my line.)
I know, you're a "tent maker".
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 07-31-2009, 05:10 AM

I can't believe my eyes. I planted Lettuce seeds on Wednesday Morning and today Friday morning they had broke the surface of the gravel. I sprouted similar seeds in foam and it took 3 and 4 days to sprout.

I put up a little video on youtube of my system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hzj1qm1m5Y
Old 07-31-2009, 09:08 PM

Nice to hear you voice and the children's.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:06 PM

Chette,

I love Youtube. Neat being able to hear your voice and your kids in the background. Soon your family will have salad every day (but the fish aren't much more than an appetizer ).

Jen
Old 08-01-2009, 08:19 AM

Oh me and my squeaky voice. Anyway it is low in the video but it is higher pitched at times. I don't always like the way I sound but God has chosen the foolish things to confound the wise.

seeing that the barrel fish tank is a little small actually to raise more than 2 Tilapia at a time to eating size. The last time I ate them in Manila I didn't like the taste so much. I have been told it is because they don't use clean water to raise them and they don't feed them clean foods either.

So when I get the green house up I will raise some in a larger tank and give them a try again. One of the Barrels I bought was contaminated and I could not get it replaced because we all ready cut it up. so I will use the contaminated one for the seminars only. when I set up another one here I will get a clean barrel
Old 08-01-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
Oh me and my squeaky voice. Anyway it is low in the video but it is higher pitched at times. I don't always like the way I sound but God has chosen the foolish things to confound the wise.

seeing that the barrel fish tank is a little small actually to raise more than 2 Tilapia at a time to eating size. The last time I ate them in Manila I didn't like the taste so much. I have been told it is because they don't use clean water to raise them and they don't feed them clean foods either.

So when I get the green house up I will raise some in a larger tank and give them a try again. One of the Barrels I bought was contaminated and I could not get it replaced because we all ready cut it up. so I will use the contaminated one for the seminars only. when I set up another one here I will get a clean barrel
Brother Chette,

This is a time when deafness can be a real blessing: I can't hear your self-described "squeaky voice"!

I enjoyed seeing the video. Any idea how long it takes to raise the Tilapia to edible size? Personally, I love Tilapia fish - very delicious! It's been rare that I have encountered a rather bitter-tasting fish, and I don't know what that comes from. I also love the taste of Orange Roughy fish. I also used to love Lake Perch (I live near Lake Michigan) but unfortunately I've had the bitter-tasting fish one time too many to trust it now.

I'll look forward to seeing the new video that you plan to post, to show the progress of your plantings. Let us know here, when that is posted!

That's sad that one of the barrels you had bought was contaminated and that you can't exchange it now.

I'm praying for this endeavor of yours to be fruitful!

Jassy
Old 08-01-2009, 05:03 PM

I can tell you that Chette is just one more person who doesn't like hearing his own recorded voice. It's not squeaky, he has a good old mid-western accent, I think. (I still have my Oregon accent, if such a thing exists). I LOVE Orange Roughy. It is soooo delicious. I can afford tilapia, so that's what we eat. John loves perch. I get it sometimes for him but I have to smother it with tartar sauce to get it down. I never realized the reason is that it IS bitter.

A couple of years ago we got electrical laid out to two spots in the yard where we plan on haviing a potting shed and a greenhouse. To this day we have wires sticking out of the ground that John has to mow around.

If we ever get them, I might post a video to YouTube.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbear View Post
I can tell you that Chette is just one more person who doesn't like hearing his own recorded voice. It's not squeaky, he has a good old mid-western accent, I think. (I still have my Oregon accent, if such a thing exists). I LOVE Orange Roughy. It is soooo delicious. I can afford tilapia, so that's what we eat. John loves perch. I get it sometimes for him but I have to smother it with tartar sauce to get it down. I never realized the reason is that it IS bitter.

A couple of years ago we got electrical laid out to two spots in the yard where we plan on haviing a potting shed and a greenhouse. To this day we have wires sticking out of the ground that John has to mow around.

If we ever get them, I might post a video to YouTube.
Sis Jen,

Thanks for cueing me in on brother Chette's voice. I knew he was just being self-defacing and humble. I've been told I have a mid-western accent. To this day, I have no idea what that is! When I could hear, and someone would comment on my "midwest accent" I used to tell everybody - I don't have an accent, YOU have an accent!

When I can afford it, I sometimes will buy a couple of orange roughy fillets for a treat. Tilapia is much easier on the budget though! I have a very easy and delicious "fillet almandine" recipe, if you'd like it sis. Everyone I've made it for has wanted the recipe. And they can't believe that I didn't slave over it for half a day! Shhhhhhhhhhhh our little secret!

I don't even LIKE tartar sauce... so that's not an option for me. I don't like that bitter taste or too "fishy" of a taste. Good grief, in eating fish what kind of a taste do I expect?! LOL I once had delicious GRILLED fish, the smoked taste of it really cuts down on any bitter or "fishy" aftertaste.

There's another member on the forum that has a greenhouse. I won't point out who it is, unless they want to do that themselves, if they read this. You might get some pointers from them in setting up a greenhouse, if they're open to commenting on that topic.

Jassy
Old 08-01-2009, 09:40 PM

I would love to get your "fillet almandine" recipe. I'm all for people believing I slaved half the day in the kitchen making dinner. Now that I've admitted to myself that I HATE perch, I don't believe I shall buy it anymore. The first time I ever went to John's apartment before we were married the only thing he had in his refrigerator were a half dozen carp. I couldn't believe it! I asked him why he had a bunch of carp in his refrigerator and he told me he caught them himself and planned on finding a way to cook them so the bones would dissolve. I'm not sure what eventually happened to those carp but it's lucky I saved him from bachelorhood. He eats much better now.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:59 PM

I'm very spoiled and the only fish I can stand is canned tuna and Mahi or Cod. Canned tuna isn't really even fish and Mahi and Cod are VERY mild. I don't eat fish often because it is too fishy tasting for me. Even the ones I like sometimes. I wish I liked fish more as it is good for you.

One thing you can do to improve the taste of the Talapia, which most places don't, is remove it from it's live in barrel (river/pond/etc) and keep it in fresh clean water for a time. The longer the better. You can even change the water once or twice. It gives the fish time to clear out some of the dirtier water etc from it's system and it removes some of the strong fish taste from the fillet. Also works for crawdads and other bottom feeders.