Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:38 AM

Default King Jameseque readings

I have discovered something called "King Jameseque readings", which are particular readings or meanings found in Scripture which are particular or partial to the King James Bible.

There are several examples where, due to the particular rendering of a Scripture in English, the King James Bible can read another way, with another meaning.

1. A SHEEP / GOD HIMSELF AS A LAMB

“And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.” (Genesis 22:8).

This would be read to mean that God would provide for himself a lamb. However, if taken prophetically, God would provide literally himself for a burnt offering.

2. A VISITATION / GOD HIMSELF IN THE FLESH

“For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens” (Hebrews 7:26).

This would be read to mean that Christ the High Priest visited man, gracing them with His presence. However, the word “became” is taken another way, that is, to turn into, then it shows Christ’s substitutionary work in the flesh.

3. JOSHUA / JESUS CHRIST

“For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.” (Hebrews 4:8).

This would be read to mean that Joshua’s words would be taken prophetically concerning a rest the people of God would come into. However, if the word “Jesus” is taken to mean Christ, then the “day” is the day of judgment, and the rest that which comes to pass after a lifetime of believing, “His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.” (Matthew 25:23).
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 10-19-2008, 12:51 AM

Intresting!
Old 10-20-2008, 02:54 PM

As for the burnt offering thing in Genesis, I have a question...

Did Jesus suffer in hell? We know He went to Hell to preach to the OT saints in Paradise, but did He also suffer there for a time?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
We know He went to Hell to preach to the OT saints in Paradise
I agree.

Christ was the lamb slain, so that means the slaying part must refer to the cross on Earth.

Whether he suffered in hell is a topic for discussion in one of the other forums on this website.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Did Jesus suffer in hell? We know He went to Hell to preach to the OT saints in Paradise, but did He also suffer there for a time?
Okay, I'll bite. What makes you believe that Jesus preached to the OT saints in Paradise?
Old 10-22-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector View Post
I agree.

Christ was the lamb slain, so that means the slaying part must refer to the cross on Earth.

Whether he suffered in hell is a topic for discussion in one of the other forums on this website.
And he dodges...

LOL, sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 10-22-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Am I View Post
Okay, I'll bite. What makes you believe that Jesus preached to the OT saints in Paradise?
I can't actually recall the verses. I'll try and find them. Maybe it was something I just heard someone else say (I hope not). We know he went to paradise. I am sure he said something, even if it was just "come up hither" and took them to heaven.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:21 PM

1 Peter 3:19 (KJV) By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

Ephesians 4:8-10 (KJV) Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

Scripture does not support any notion of Christ going to the Lake of Fire. I do not think anyone is in the Lake of Fire yet, that is I do not recall any Scriptures that support the idea of anyone being in Hell yet. But there are spirits awaiting judgement.

2 Peter 2:4 (KJV) For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

Luke 16:19-31 (KJV) There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

I found a good article here http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/j...n-hell-faq.htm which talks about this. I do not know all the beliefs of those that run this site, so I cannot vouche for those that run this site. This article, however, is pretty decent.

I'm sure there is more to be discussed about this subject. I just wanted to share that I don't believe that Christ saw corruption while in the grave, nor did he go to the Hell that most people think of, that is the Lake of Fire.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 10-25-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
1 Peter 3:19 (KJV) By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

'Spirits' in prison. But is 'spirit in prison' the same as 'soul in Hell'?

A man's spirit is not the same as a man's soul.

So, who were the 'spirits' in prison?

Quote:
Scripture does not support any notion of Christ going to the Lake of Fire. I do not think anyone is in the Lake of Fire yet, that is I do not recall any Scriptures that support the idea of anyone being in Hell yet. But there are spirits awaiting judgement.
Again, I do not believe that 'spirits' are judged, I think that 'souls' are judged.

That's my understanding of it.

Quote:
I'm sure there is more to be discussed about this subject. I just wanted to share that I don't believe that Christ saw corruption while in the grave, nor did he go to the Hell that most people think of, that is the Lake of Fire.
I know that in one of the creeds (Apostles' or Nicene, I don't recall) it says that 'He descended into Hell'. However, where is the Scriptural basis for that? Maybe I am just missing something here.

Also, Hell and the Lake of Fire aren't the same, although one day Hell will be cast into the Lake of Fire:
"And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death." (Revelation 20:14)

Interesting discussion.