Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:13 AM

Bro. Craig,

Quote:
I apologize if I have said anything to offend you and I may have to retract an earlier statement I made. With the way things are going with homosexual unions in our country we may have to face the issue of polygamy one day.
Thank you brother. I am just dumb founded that anyone could suggest that ploygamy was "allowed"?

I have never heard the word "allowed" so much before in my life until I came here LoL

Maybe I am confused. I'll fully admit that.

But when there is an "Ah HAH!" moment and one discovers God "allowed" something to go on and so therefore we say it must not be so bad, then I have a problem with that. Especially when the Bible is PERFECTLY clear on what GOD considers a marriage!?!? Or is it being said that while having 1 wife is God's "perfect" will His "acceptable" will is polygamy as long as it is legal!?

We have a free will. God allows us to do as we wish. He does not make us do anything. But this is something we all know.

I see no verses where God blesses or condones polygamy. Even the verses in Deuteronomy 25 I am failing to see multiple wives? I've read it a dozen times and I certainly must be deft. LoL

Again, I am not offended but highly disturbed by some comments made with supposed Bible and history to back it up.

I would love to see Bro. Brandon chime in on this thread.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 AM

Default Amanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda S. View Post
Well, I myself am completely appalled at the turn this thread had taken and am very seriously considering unsubscribing.

It is very serious and worth getting uptight over.
Hi Amanda - please don't leave the forum I think that the questions and the points that you raise are very valuable and I also love interacting with you!

The reason that I added the Muslim issue was because I see Islam multipying at an alarming rate throughout the west, and there is a reason for that. I believe that some of them will get saved and that these are issues that churches will shortly be having to deal with if theye already aren't!

Please stay with us sis as your are a very valuable member!

By the way Craig "with tears" was just a way of expressing that he was a genuine convert and not a simple church addition!

God bless

PaulB
Old 07-23-2009, 08:44 AM

Bro. Paul,

After talking with my husband I've decided to stick around awhile longer as we both feel that this forum is helping motivate me to understand and study my Bible more. For that I am grateful.

Bro. Paul, nothing you said offended me. I wasn't upset by the Muslim w/ 7 wives question, because when discussing these things I ALWAYS like to throw in a hypothetical. LoL Drives my dearest hubby insane.

And as you said, it very well might be something we'll need to deal with before our Lord raptures us out of here! Even so come quickly Lord Jesus!!

But I was in shock for 1/2 the day when I saw that the Bible was being used to support such practice!?

Thank you Bro. for your kind words and am looking forward to more discourse with you.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:45 AM

This is an instance where the Law of Moses prescribes taking another wife in a certain situation. If it's in the Law then I daresay God didn't frown on the practice as has been maintained by some. Exodus 21:10-11, regulations on the practice of polygamy. Deuteronomy 21:15–17, inheritance to go to the first-born son, even if he hates his mother and loves another wife better. Deuteronomy 17:7, instructions on a king not taking too many wives.

Matthew 19:3-10 and Mark 10:5-12 Jesus was answering a question about the putting away of a wife. He stated that a man and his wife are no more twain, but one flesh. He isn't addressing the issue of multiple wives in this passage or in Mark 10. Was not Jacob one flesh with each of his wives?

And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

I believe monogamy is the type for Christ and His church. However, unbelievers don't necessarily live by that type in some cultures. If a man comes to Christ with more than one wife, if we require that he abandon his wives and children, we are requiring him to disobey Jesus' clear statement, as well as Paul's.

Clearly, some people have a problem with this, but in my humble opinion, your problem is not with me but with God's word.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Bro. Paul,

After talking with my husband I've decided to stick around awhile longer as we both feel that this forum is helping motivate me to understand and study my Bible more. For that I am grateful.

Bro. Paul, nothing you said offended me. I wasn't upset by the Muslim w/ 7 wives question, because when discussing these things I ALWAYS like to throw in a hypothetical. LoL Drives my dearest hubby insane.

And as you said, it very well might be something we'll need to deal with before our Lord raptures us out of here! Even so come quickly Lord Jesus!!

But I was in shock for 1/2 the day when I saw that the Bible was being used to support such practice!?

Thank you Bro. for your kind words and am looking forward to more discourse with you.
I think this is the best forum I've seen because (1) no KJV correctors are allowed and (2) you just can't throw out anything and get away with it. You have to give some sound scriptural reasoning for what you are saying or folks here will cease bothering with your posts.

For me "allow" does not equal "condone". Just because God allowed certain things doesn't mean He condoned them. There are a lot of lost people who are being allowed to do things (they think) they are getting away with, but one day they will give an account at the Great White Throne Judgment. Most of the people previosuly listed who had the mutiple wives paid for it with family problems.

If I had been thinking last night I probably wouldn't have given my reply about the poor Muslim guy and his seven wives. I'm not saying a situation like that hasn't come up somewhere in the world, but its highly unlikely I will ever be consulted about it. We can come up with all kinds of "what if" situations that will, if we're not careful, only detract us. We have to stick with what we know and we all know God's will for marriage.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Greenbear said - And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

I believe monogamy is the type for Christ and His church. However, unbelievers don't necessarily live by that type in some cultures. If a man comes to Christ with more than one wife, if we require that he abandon his wives and children, we are requiring him to disobey Jesus' clear statement, as well as Paul's.
If we don't require that he abandon this lifestyle we are allowing him to fornicate and therefore we will have to put him away from the fellowship of the believers.

Paul says - I Cor. 7:2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

Quote:
I Cor 7:20 Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.
And please do not use this verse to defend having more than one wife!? The context is completely having to do with believers and unbelievers staying married! If one is going to use this verse to defend polygamy then one must use it to defend homosexuality.

Quote:
Greenbear said: Clearly, some people have a problem with this, but in my humble opinion, your problem is not with me but with God's word.
And in my humble opinion, my problem is with you on this subject as I completely understand what the Scriptures say regarding this.

Last edited by Amanda S.; 07-23-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:14 AM

In the above post I should have said use it to defend "same-sex marriage"...Ugh I hate wording it that way...
Old 07-23-2009, 11:18 AM

Default Good points Amanda!

Quote:
If we don't require that he abandon this lifestyle we are allowing him to fornicate and therefore we will have to put him away from the fellowship of the believers.

Paul says - I Cor. 7:2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

And please do not use this verse to defend having more than one wife!? The context is completely having to do with believers and unbelievers staying married! If one is going to use this verse to defend polygamy then one must use it to defend homosexuality.

And in my humble opinion, my problem is with you on this subject as I completely understand what the Scriptures say regarding this.

Well said Amanda, I also have no problem with God's word (I have used it all the way through this subject and never out of its context!)

Personally, I don't think that this thread can keep going in this direction much longer. In a way I wish I hadn't presented the 7 wives situation - My intent was to provoke additional thought on the matter for healthy interaction but when people start getting accused of having a problem with God's word (I wonder who?) then what else can I say.

I have no bitter feelings towards Greenbear as she is my sister in Christ, plus a healthy interaction about biblical subjects are always beneficial. But I cannot accept the way that some passages of Scripture are being presented to defend the very thing that they are speaking against.

I feel for Brandon and the rest of the folks on the forum because things like this could prove to be the final straw (I sincerely hope not).

If it has gone too far then I will say that I am sorry to all of you for raising the question in the first place.

God bless

PaulB
Old 07-23-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Greenbear said:Unless every family in Israel kept a spare single son on hand then it seems God commanded the taking of another wife in the this event, no?

Deuteronomy 25:5-10
Aaaaaaaahhhhh....ok.....I had missed this speculation earlier.

I read this passage umpteen times trying to find the second wife in this passage and I honestly thought I had a screw loose LoL I then asked my husband to point out the 2nd wife and he said obviously it's not there.

It is mere speculation that there was no single brother for her to marry. Is there an instance at all in the Scripture where this was carried out and the brother had another wife?

Last edited by Amanda S.; 07-23-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:45 PM

Was Bathsheba David's last wife?

Last edited by Amanda S.; 07-23-2009 at 02:01 PM.