Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Truth4Today

Default The Garden (Paradise) Restored

Hello everyone! I have something interesting for everyone to think about. It all started when I heard a creationist explain that the location of the Garden of Eden could not be known today because it was buried in the flood of Noah's day. However, one of the indicative features of that Garden was the Tree of Life. It did not make sense to me that God would bring death to a Tree that embodied and symbolized life. As well, it did not seem likely that God had more than one tree of life seeing as we only have one Saviour and therefore breaking the symbolic connection between the two.

First, let me say that I have been saved a while and so, am not a novice. Too, I am not arguing for or against any prophetic model such dispensationalism. As well, I am not claiming that this theory is explicitly stated or taught in the Bible. It is a SCRIPTURAL THEORY period! Which means even more that it is not a salvation issue. Further still, I am not here to debate weather this theory is true or not. I only would like to know what others think and how Biblically conducive it is. If you think it will not fly, please tell me why. Lastly, this theory is copyrighted and so if you would like to share this theory in voice or print please contact me and I will send you the disclosure line to use so that proper respect is given the originator (myself). With that said here we go.

The Garden (Paradise) Restored: How Access to the Tree of Life will be Unrestricted again

The basic core or heart of this theory is: What access to the tree of life and paradise was restricted in and because of Adam (Gen3:23-24); is wholly restored and made unrestricted in and by Christ Jesus (Rev. 2:7).

This theory has six main points:

1. In the Garden of Eden man had unrestricted access to the tree of life (Gen. 2:15-17)

2. After man had sinned, that access was restricted (Gen. 3:23-24)

3. Some time after man was expelled from the garden, it (the garden) ascended to heaven (assumption)

4. Right now the Garden is the place Christ Jesus is preparing for us (John 14:3 & Rev. 21:2 prepared)

5. The Garden will one day descend out of heaven, renovated into a city (New Jerusalem) (Rev. 21:2, 10)

6. Therefore, Access will be restored to the tree of life and consequently paradise restored (Rev. 2:7; 22:14)

Restored man will one day be reunited with restored paradise. The word “paradise” is originally of the Persian tongue and means “pleasure-garden”. The idea was one of a garden of exceptional beauty and splendor. In fact, what has been called the Septuagint (or LXX) the Greek version of the O.T. uses the word for the garden of Eden (Gen. 2:8).

Man was first created and then the garden (Gen. 2:7-8). The garden was NOT Eden, but was eastward IN Eden and man was placed there (Gen. 2:15). One of the main characteristics of the garden was the presents of the tree of life in the mist thereof (Gen. 2:9). This was a tree that embodied life and in-parted life to all who ate of it. Adams offence and failure to God resulted not only in falling from a state of innocence to one of sin, but also brought about his expulsion from the garden (Gen. 3:22-24). Man MUST be restored before paradise is, for sinful man cannot enter the garden. The life of Adam illustrates this perfectly. Man in a sinful state was driven out of the Garden, “Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from where he was taken. So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden cherubim, and a flaming sword which turned every way to keep the way of the tree of life.” (Gen. 3:23-24).

However, what actually happened to the garden of Eden after men was expelled? Can we even know? Some say that it was guarded by angels until the days of Noah. It was then they say that is was destroyed or buried by the flood. Yet, why would God allow the tree of life, a tree that is the very symbol of life to be destroyed and die? Would it not make sense that God would have preserved the tree. I have a theory about this. Its really quiet simple. I think that some time after man was sent forth from the garden, it ascended to heaven; that it is the spot that Christ is preparing a place for us; and that it will one day descend out from heaven to earth as the New Jerusalem.

Let me ask you. Where is the next place the tree of life is mentioned in regards to the tree itself? It is Revelation chapter two verse seven. Where we are told, “…the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.” (Rev. 2:7). Now, this raises another question, “What is paradise?” As I have said, it comes from a word describing a garden of exceptional beauty and splendor. The word itself is only mentioned in three places in the New Testament. Lets examine these three places to see what we can glean. Here in Revelation we can see that it is a place where the tree of life is located and that Christ promises to those who overcome that He will restore what was lost through the fall. In (Luke 23:42-43) it is a place of comfort and bliss for believers. If we take the literary structure of both verses together, then clearly paradise is the place where the kingdom of God is. Then there is (2Cor. 12:4) where one is caught-up into paradise.

It is at this latter scripture that the description of paradise becomes even more clear. The Complete Bible Commentary says, “It was common to speak of three ‘heavens’: The first is the atmosphere where the birds fly; the second is the place of the sun, moon, and stars; the third is where God dwells…Heaven (v.2) is here called paradise.” (p.1510). Some believe that heaven and paradise are the same. Full Life Bible Commentary to the New Testament says, “Paul‘s description of this vision-revelation is fascinating. He recounts having been ‘caught up to the third heaven’ or ‘paradise.’ The two expressions are synonymous as Paul uses the same Greek verb (harpazo) with both (vv.2,4) to designate where the revelation took place.” (p.956).

Although, others would disagree; pointing out what seems to be particulars of the language. Namely, the fact that Paul states twice that he knew a man. Also, he separates them with the conjunction “and”. “I knew a man… And I knew such a man” (2Cor. 12:2, 4). This suggest that the two are two different places that he went to. I personally think that the one is in the other(although it matters little, the connection between the two is what’s important). That paradise is located in heaven. So to go to one is to go to the other, but to go to the other is not especially to go to the one. What ever one thinks, it is clear that they are connected.

The last place the tree of life is mention is in regard to the holy city, the new Jerusalem where it is in the midst of the street of it (Rev. 22:2). It is also of interesting note that in verse 14 of this same chapter, he that has right to the tree of life has right to enter the city. Hence, man in his restored state will ultimately return to the garden of Eden now up-graded to a city to accommodate all of redeem men. Yes, Paradise Restored!

- “One accurate measurement is worth more than a thousand expert opinions”

- “...this is the Word of God; come, search, ye critics, and find a flaw; examine it, from its Genesis to its Revelation, and find an error... This is the book untainted by any error; but is pure, unalloyed, perfect truth. Why? Because God wrote it. Ah! charge God with error if you please; tell him that his book is not what it ought to be. I have heard men, with prudish and mock-modesty, who would like to alter the Bible; and (I almost blush to say it) I have heard ministers alter God's Bible, because they were afraid of it... Pity they were not born when God lived far—far back that they might have taught God how to write.” Charles Haddon Spurgeon (Spurgeon's Sermons Volume 1: Sermon II p. 31)

- “If, therefore, any do complain that I have sometimes hit my opponents rather hard, I take leave to point out that 'to everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the sun' : 'a time to embrace, and a time to be far from embracing' : a time for speaking smoothly, and a time for speaking sharply. And that when the words of Inspiration are seriously imperilled, as now they are, it is scarcely possible for one who is determined effectually to preserve the Deposit in its integrity, to hit either too straight or too hard.” Dean John William Burgon (The Revision Revised. pp. vii-viii)

Last edited by Truth4Today; 05-08-2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Misspelling
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-09-2008, 09:25 AM

I will respond briefly after glancing over your post.
1. It is a curious observation and thought.
2. Who are you to copyright what you are proposing is Scriptural insight?
Old 05-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Truth4Today

Thumbs up Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
I will respond briefly after glancing over your post.
Thank you very much! I look forward to your insight.

Quote:
1. It is a curious observation and thought.
Indubitably!

Quote:
2. Who are you to copyright what you are proposing is Scriptural insight?
I suspected that someone might take issue with the copyright. Be it remembered that this is a THEORY or perhaps more like a hypothesis and therefore is that which is deemed possibly true or assumed as true with the goal of reaching truth not yet surely known. It is a tentative explanation of certain facts arranged in such a way as to paint a picture. The goal is to account for as many facts as possible within the framework. For that reason, it is not explicitly stated in the Bible in black & white. It is in this, that I mean copyright. I am the only one that I know of that has conjectured such a view (please let me know if anyone else has done the same). But none of the hundreds of books in my library issue forth such a concept as a whole. Some mention the idea that accesses to the tree of life will be restored but as to the ascension of the Garden and its renovation into the New Jerusalem is a unique concept. So, I take full responsibility for any of the deficiencies in this speculation. Further, it is obvious that the words as ordered are my words and as such can be copyrighted. However, I do not mean to suppress or prevent any truth that may be present. Anyone may, if they please share this theory whenever and with whoever they want just as long proper credit is given originator. As well, I am not trying to take credit for or from the word of God. God's word is God's word, period! I am just connecting ideas present in the Bible of assumed on my part to form a picture. One that explains the possibility of where the Garden of Eden went after the fall.

You hear a lot about people trying to find the location of the Garden and claiming to know the basic area, based on the names of some rivers. Others, however, claim that this is an impossibility seeing as the flood has refaced the earth. The similar river names are just peoples attempt to remember life as it was. For example, in my city I live on Jefferson street, yet how many cities have a Jefferson street? Lots! That does not mean that they are all the same street. People as they migrated across America reproduced the cities that they had come from. This second idea has at times by certain individuals stated that the Garden was covered by the flood waters. I disagree with both and consequently, have proposed a third concept and have located the Garden as being in heaven.

- “One accurate measurement is worth more than a thousand expert opinions”

- “...this is the Word of God; come, search, ye critics, and find a flaw; examine it, from its Genesis to its Revelation, and find an error... This is the book untainted by any error; but is pure, unalloyed, perfect truth. Why? Because God wrote it. Ah! charge God with error if you please; tell him that his book is not what it ought to be. I have heard men, with prudish and mock-modesty, who would like to alter the Bible; and (I almost blush to say it) I have heard ministers alter God's Bible, because they were afraid of it... Pity they were not born when God lived far—far back that they might have taught God how to write.” Charles Haddon Spurgeon (Spurgeon's Sermons Volume 1: Sermon II p. 31)

- “If, therefore, any do complain that I have sometimes hit my opponents rather hard, I take leave to point out that 'to everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the sun' : 'a time to embrace, and a time to be far from embracing' : a time for speaking smoothly, and a time for speaking sharply. And that when the words of Inspiration are seriously imperilled, as now they are, it is scarcely possible for one who is determined effectually to preserve the Deposit in its integrity, to hit either too straight or too hard.” Dean John William Burgon (The Revision Revised. pp. vii-viii)