Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post
Allow me to quote James Knox in his new book The Law and Rightly Dividing The Word Reconsidered (pages 61-62),

"In a desperate attempt to cling to the law, many ministers and some denominations have tried to divide the law into sections or divisions. While we cannot list all the many ways their arguments are phrased, one example will suffice.

"We are told that the law of the Lord is the ten commandments and that the law of Moses includes the ordinances, offerings, feast days, and the dietary laws, etc. They say that Jesus' finished work did not include the ten commandments but that only the law of Moses was fulfilled at the cross.

The easiest way to put this error to bed is to show that the terms are used interchangeably by the Holy Spirit. Luke 2:22-24 says, And when the days of her purification according to the LAW OF MOSES were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord; (As it is written in the LAW OF THE LORD, Every male that openeth the womb shall be called holy to the Lord;) And to offer a sacrifice according to that which is said in the LAW OF THE LORD...

"Notice in the passage that Mary is said to have taken the baby Jesus to the temple to present Him to the Lord, in obedience to the LAW OF THE LORD and to offer a sacrifice according to the LAW OF THE LORD. Such a requirement is not found in the ten commandments but in the (so called) law of Moses. Again we read: And when they had performed all things according to the LAW OF THE LORD, they returned into Galilee... (Luke 2:39).

"One may find this same argument stated as, 'Jesus died to save us from the ceremonial law but we are still under the moral law.' The scriptures studed in this section show that such a position cannot be supported by the word of God.

"The believer is not under the law but under grace (Romans 6:14). We are delivered from the law (Romans 7:6), free from the law (Romans 8:2), and dead to the law (Galatians 2:19). Praise the Lord!"

Amen! Yes of course you are absolutely right, we are dead to the law.
My Statement>
Quote:
"Gods moral laws are to be kept, but the 1 ceremonial law was nailed to the Lords cross."
I probably could have worded that statement better

I Know that I am to have no other gods before him
I know that I should not make graven images of, or bow down to, other gods.
I know I shouldn't take the Lords name in vain
I know that I should honour my father and my mother
I know not to commit adultery
I know not to steal
I know not to Kill
I know not to bear false witness against my neighbour
I know not to covet my neighbour's house / wife / possessions

I realise that these commandments are our moral guideline and that we are not UNDER the law in the sense that breaking these commandments will result in the same punishment to those who where in time past UNDER the law, ie Old Testament Israel
Example in Exodus I stated in an above post

Exodus 31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death."